New OnStar Plans (including extending Basic after free trial)

OnStar announced a new plan structure starting this week.  The "Basic" plan that is free for 5 years was never available after it expires but now they added it (called "Remote Access") for $14.99/month or $150/year.  Click this link then click "Compare All Plans" to see the new structure:

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/why_onstar/plans-pricing/

I'm glad they decided to offer it after the free trial expires but the price is still too high.  I would have considered around $75-$90/year to keep the remote start capability but probably not at those prices.

• Like 2

Even if all the OnStar "features" were free, I would still disable as many as possible.  They offer nothing I want.  Does anyone know if the shark fin OnStar antenna can be disconnected?  Will it set codes or cause other problems?

• Like 2

Agreed that $150/year is WAY too expensive. For remote start and lock/unlock options via the app it should be $5/mo. Even though I use it daily, I will drop OnStar without hesitation if the cheapest option is $150/year when my 5-year trial expires.

EDIT: https://www.viper.com/smartstart/serviceplans.aspx

If you simply want remote start & lock/unlock then here is an alternative. It's $70/year with the downside of being a module you'd have to have installed aftermarket. My only concern would be battery consumption. I've had the Viper GPS system in the past (more than 10 years ago) and the battery consumption was horrible at best. If you left the car sit for more than 3 days the battery would be dead. On day 3 it was sometimes hit or miss if you'd get the car started. Never again will I deal with that. If Viper hasn't addressed that issue then that would for sure be a deal breaker for me.

Edited by Dunc

46 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

What used to be free (after free trial has expired) from the app as far as remote functions from your phone/app will no longer free. 

Right.... the remote start was free. So the new plan is screwing us if they remove the free features. 

This is quite disappointing.

The convenience of the app for the few times a month I remotely lock/unlock my truck is surely not worth $150/year.

• Like 3

So, I was not even aware some of these features were free. So I bought my 2016 truck (certified used) in January of this year.  Does that mean I will continue to be able to lock/unlock/remote start my truck for five years with my phone app even after my free trial of On Star ends?

16 minutes ago, bkesting said:

So, I was not even aware some of these features were free. So I bought my 2016 truck (certified used) in January of this year.  Does that mean I will continue to be able to lock/unlock/remote start my truck for five years with my phone app even after my free trial of On Star ends?

Yes.

57 minutes ago, bkesting said:

They don't tell you. They want you to buy the service but for some reason if you cancel it just keeps working. I could control a truck after I sold it. Like a year after I sold it I still had access. 

I still dont understand how OnStar survives, or how Gm can justify it with so many people not subscribing. 

remote start from my classroom a few hundred yards from my truck in the harsh winter is awesome, but an aftermarket long range remote start is pretty cheap.

I don't care for there service, but I live the ap. They should just give you the app for as long as your the original owner and sell you the app if you buy it used. 

3 hours ago, frenchsquared said:

Right.... the remote start was free. So the new plan is screwing us if they remove the free features. 

They are not removing it from the existing plan.  All vehicles sold after 2015 include the Basic plan free for 5 years.  After that it shuts off and GM never offered a chance to have those features on a lower plan.  They now are adding the "Remote Access" plan that you can buy after your Basic plan expires.  It is $15/month or $150/year.  I actually use it a lot (we have it on 3 GM vehicles we own) but was hoping for around $5/month.