2016 GMC 1500 All Terrain X - Pre-purchase question

Hi there,

I've been looking to purchase a pre-owned GMC All Terrain and recently came across a really clean "All Terrain X" model.  I looked at it the other day and I liked what I saw, but I am hoping someone can help me with a question before I drop a big pile of cash.

I've driven many Silverados and GMC Sierras but all have had regular all-season highway tires on 20-22" wheels, so this was my first time driving one with more aggressive on/off road 18" tires (Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac).  As soon as I pulled out of the parking spot I could feel the knobbiness of the tires in the seat and steering, just a slight vibration or flutter.  It was subtle and wasn't really an issue, but it was detectable compared to the trucks with all-season tires.

Since I've never driven an "X" before and don't have the ability to drive another one for comparison, I am hoping that someone with experience can tell me whether this is normal for this model/tires. 

So if you own or have driven an "X", did or do you notice a little bit of tire roughness to the ride?  I'm not looking to debate ride styles, just simply trying to validate my experience prior to purchase.  

Thanks!

Hi there,

I've been looking to purchase a pre-owned GMC All Terrain and recently came across a really clean "All Terrain X" model.  I looked at it the other day and I liked what I saw, but I am hoping someone can help me with a question before I drop a big pile of cash.

I've driven many Silverados and GMC Sierras but all have had regular all-season highway tires on 20-22" wheels, so this was my first time driving one with more aggressive on/off road 18" tires (Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac).  As soon as I pulled out of the parking spot I could feel the knobbiness of the tires in the seat and steering, just a slight vibration or flutter.  It was subtle and wasn't really an issue, but it was detectable compared to the trucks with all-season tires.

Since I've never driven an "X" before and don't have the ability to drive another one for comparison, I am hoping that someone with experience can tell me whether this is normal for this model/tires. 

So if you own or have driven an "X", did or do you notice a little bit of tire roughness to the ride?  I'm not looking to debate ride styles, just simply trying to validate my experience prior to purchase.  

Thanks!

I’ve got a ‘17 Sierra all terrain x and I don’t notice anymore vibration or flutter than my previous all season tires on my ‘15 Sierra. I’m not an expert at all but I’d suggest checking the basics; alignment, balance, and tire wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... that's what I was concerned about.

Truck drove great and tracked straight.  I could feel the tires at very low speed (i.e. turning while pulling out of parking space) so balance may not have much to do with it but it's worth checking.  It may simply be that the tires are overly worn or have worn poorly.

I'll check it all out but it may give me justification to negotiate new tires.  Thanks.

Edited by LordBusiness

It depends on the mileage of the truck if it has 10,000 plus miles it is very likely that the tires have worn enough to start causing a vibration (this isn't as noticeable when you drive the vehicle everyday and the vibration slowly appears), however, if it only has a few thousand miles I would think the vibration is probably more than the tires and why the truck was traded in.  Personally, I would request tires from a new truck be swapped onto it and go for a test drive and see if the vibration is still there. It would suck to live with a truck that has any sort of unnecessary/undesired NVH.

Thanks.  It has approximately 30k miles on it and I assume they are the original tires.  They appeared to have decent tread remaining, but perhaps they are unevenly worn. The truck is CLEAN and shows no signs of punishment top or bottom.  The truck is less than 2 years old (from date of first sale) so I suspect the prior owner did a lot of highway driving.

Yes, it was very subtle and I can see how I would get accustomed to it over time.  I think the only reason I noticed it was that I was test driving a lot of similar vehicles with all-season tires and the ride was slightly different.  The salesman said he didn't notice, but I pushed the issue and he said "I think felt it on that corner."

Looks like its time to keep pushing.

I've had other vehicles with VERY aggressive tires.  You can feel the knobby rumble at lower speeds. You can also hear it.  I'm talking about mud bog tires like Super Swampers.  Regular mud terrain tires aren't usually all that noticable.  Mud terrain tire do tend to get rougher and louder as they wear. Take it out and run the highway and make sure high speed vibrations are not present.  If you can get the dealer to put other wheels and tires on it to make sure it's just the tires, that would be a great idea.

I ran Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac on my 15. I sure don't remember noticing them. They are really not very aggressive. I love the tires. I will get them again on any lifted truck or when I want the aggressive tire. Work very well in the mud. Nice on the highway even at 90 mph. I think the truck moved with the road a little more then the stock tires and with the window down there was more sound. But I sure don't remember feeling those tires. There not swampers. 

My guess is your just overly aware as the rest of us have likely used that type of tire for many years. 

Yeah, I've ran the duratracs before and currently have them on my 2018 silverado z71 (18" wheels).  They are about the tamest AT/hybrid/MT I have ever used and were barely noticeable when I swapped to them from the regular wrangler tires that cam standard on my truck a week ago.  I would look at the wear on it as it may be uneven if they went 30k and only rotated a couple times.  Also, have the wheels themselves checked out, may be damaged and causing your issue.

Also, you said you noticed it more when driving slow and turning out of a parking space.  That is completely normal on more aggressive tires as you are riding heavily on the outside or inside tread and those lugs tend to be the most aggressive and knobby causing the more pronounced vibration.  That is unavoidable, no matter how tame the AT tire is.

Thanks everyone, this was very helpful.

Last night I went over to look at my neighbor's Silverado 2500 Z71 and would you believe it has the EXACT same wheel/tire combo (with chevy center caps of course).  I didn't even think about his truck until I saw while on a walk with my daughter.

Anyway... he said much of what many of you are saying, that what I felt is normal for a more aggressive tire and it was his opinion that it gets worse over time (with wear). 

With 30+k miles on the tires, they are probably due for replacement or will be soon.  Given that, I'll negotiate a little bit better price but my desire is to level the truck and I may run different and slightly bigger tires, so I don't want them offering to replace them. 

Thank you.

I have the 18" Duratracs (265/65/18) on my 2017 Chevy 1500 Z71 Midnight. While at times they can be a bit loud (windows down), I've haven't noticed anything in the steering wheel or seat yet. My tires have 16,000 on them. I like them a lot and will probably replace with the same or very similar when the time comes.

I do not have the 18" wheel so that negates some of my statement but I do run the duratracs. I have the 275/65/20 wheel/tire set up. When I FIRST got them mounted I remember pulling away and them feeling "heavier" which they are. I have had them for about 10,000 miles and I do notice some slight vibes when slowing to a stop (kind of creeping up to a light). I think what you are feeling is poor wear and the knobs grabbing at slow speed. They are great tires if rotated religiously. Maybe that was owner 1's issue. 

1 hour ago, Mike GMC said:

You might also consider trying negotiate the level and larger tires in the deal.

I thought about that, but they are some distance away and a PITA to get to due to traffic, so if I buy it I'll just want to get it home.  Besides, I don't know what tires I want yet and I plan on doing the leveling kit install myself. :-)

26 minutes ago, SippiSierra said:

...I remember pulling away and them feeling "heavier" which they are. I have had them for about 10,000 miles and I do notice some slight vibes when slowing to a stop (kind of creeping up to a light). I think what you are feeling is poor wear and the knobs grabbing at slow speed...

Yes, that's a good way to put it, "heavier" and "slight vibes".  Nothing extreme or harsh, just enough to be noticeable to the uninitiated like me.

With 30k miles I can see them being more noticeable than stock. My mom's Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk has 36k on the original tires (Firestone Its I believe) and I had to drive it the other day and the tire noise/vibration was much more noticeable than when I drove it the first week she bough it. So I think you are fine, I would definitely try to get them to knock some money off for the tires, most dealers don't carry or can't sell tires for cheap enough (that aren't a standard tire) for them to work those into the deal and it be advantageous financially for you. 

Good luck on the purchase and I hope you enjoy the truck if you get it! I highly recommend the BFG KO2s for an aggressive looking tires that performs well in almost all conditions, rides nice, doesn't make much noise, and wears pretty well. I just drove a new lifted 2018 Chevy 1500 with some cheap Ironman tires on it and the ride and tracking were atrocious, plus they had the typical howl of mud tires.

I got a 2017 ATX. Had it since brand new. I know a lot of people had complaints after about 5-8k miles about a shake. Less, but comparable to the “Chevy shake.” I have been lucky not to experience this on my personal vehicle, which I purchased brand new Dec 2016. Before this, I drove a 96 Pontiac Grand Prix and 96 Tahoe. 240k and 197k miles. While the ride on the Duratracks is not butter, by no means would I describe the tires as rough, and knobby... definitely a little noisier than a standard street tire... the ride is smooth, both highway and town... I have just over 18k miles on it now. Running the stock set up drive train wise, with 265/65R18s definite listen to what everyone else is saying. You seem to know what you’re doing as well. You’ll know what’s right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk