Amber Side Marker running lights led

Since I wanted to keep the factory running boards (I like AMP but the OEM ones look nice to me on the HD and hide the DEF tank) I noticed they would fit a regular DOT 1/2” round side marker perfectly and the ones I used match the OEM smoke lens and amber led. I looked on the net but could not find anyone with out trucks that has done this so I did. Found the wire needed (purple with gray stripe that is connected to the rear 194 tail light bulb) then solder the connections, 2 costs of liquid tape, then 3M electrical tape and all wire ran inside vacuume line and hidden as best as I can inside truck body supports. Cost under $50. Let me know what you think.  I will post pics on next post so the replies won’t keep posting the pics. 

I tied into the wire harness under the driverside cab but you can run wire all the way back to the tail light if you want. Running the wire under the cab to the other side was the hardest part but it is in the support over the trans and had to unbolt (but not remove) the exhaust heat shield. 

Even though the holes for the led lights are 1/2”, the grommets are 9/16”. And the Diramax running board supports (the 2 next to the DEF tank) are differint and full metal back as the others are plastic areas. Just take off one support/brace at a time, drill the hole and replace. Future replacement should be pretty easy by just pushing the light out the grommet and adding a waterproof quick connect. 

Edited by EXSlider400

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I like what you have done I also picked up some lights, in what location did you tap into the trucks wiring harness?  Also did you have to add any resistors to your LED lights or inline?

• 2 months later...

Wow,

Very nice look indeed...   Thanks for the detailed pics of the wiring, you say this harness is under the truck?  Wondering how long they will last?   One last question....    the OEM step supports are steel?  Tuff to Drill?

I was just about to put yellow under board lights on my 3500 but this is far more classy.

DS

Edited by dodge stomper

• 2 weeks later...

The supports “covers” are plastic and have enough room not to drill the actual support. Except for the two that are for the DEF tank side, those or a slight bit different design and will need to be drilled in the metal. It wasn’t hard but you have to have the right drill and bits. I took off each for support 1 by 1, drilled it and then put it back on so the runningboards never had to be removed. The ones for the DEF tank are harder to remove and mount.  

Edited by EXSlider400
  • Like 1