Navigation "Free"? New 2018 Questions

So, I got an offer from my dealer I could not turn down and just got an end of model liquidation deal on a 2018 Silverado LT. Liking it so far, similar to my 2015 was.

Anyways, it has 'built in navigation' separate from the OnStar. I love it so far, but question is, do I need WiFi to continue for this or is it built in with GPS? Stupid question I know... meant to ask Dealer and for some reason my friend Google is inconclusive.

Also, reading all the threads on the gas mileage. Getting about 20 mph with the V6. Was expecting higher for the truck with 200 miles on it, versus my 2015 with All Terrain tires that I was getting 22 mpg. What gives?

Not sure on the mileage question, but your GPS is not reliant on WiFi. My truck has the GM navigation and I think it sucks balls. I’d much rather use google or Apple maps. More known addresses and faster recognition in my experience. Also, I purchased an update for my factory Nav a year after I bought it and it was the biggest waste of money I’ve ever spent. Unless there have been HUGE improvements made to it since then, I will never give GM another dime for their crappy Nav system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You do not need anything additional for the NAV system to keep working but it will only have the maps that are currently downloaded to it.  In order to get map updates you need to pay for them.  They are specific to your VIN and are only available directly from Navteq/Here which supplies to GM:

http://www.gmnavdisc.com

Okay, yah, with the Appleplay I can play right through Maps connection / USB too.

Any quirks or features anyone know I should know about that I should look for on my 2018 that my 2015 didn't have?

Edit, yah, hoping the gas mileage goes up. Still on my first tank of gas, but so far expecting higher out of the LT with 4.3.

Edited by BoatALot

Just to make sure, the radio screen has an icon that says NAV and not OnStar NAV right?  Would have a $495 charge on the window sticker I believe as well.  If its got integrated nav, its completely free to use, but does have to be updated at your leisure from the website sk linked.  Runs about $139-159, depending if they are running a sale or not. 

2 minutes ago, newdude said:

Just to make sure, the radio screen has an icon that says NAV and not OnStar NAV right?  Would have a $495 charge on the window sticker I believe as well.  If its got integrated nav, its completely free to use, but does have to be updated at your leisure from the website sk linked.  Runs about $139-159, depending if they are running a sale or not. 

Yep, it just says NAV, not Onstar Nav. I believe it's a green icon.

30 minutes ago, BoatALot said:

Okay, yah, with the Appleplay I can play right through Maps connection / USB too.

Any quirks or features anyone know I should know about that I should look for on my 2018 that my 2015 didn't have?

Edit, yah, hoping the gas mileage goes up. Still on my first tank of gas, but so far expecting higher out of the LT with 4.3.

Just as an FYI, Apple announced today that third party navigation apps like Waze will be available on Apple CarPlay when iOS 12 is released.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the 'built in' nav also on my 2017. It sucks. And yes, it does NOT require Wifi. 

I prefer to use CarPlay and apple maps for navigation.

You should check out the 'shop' app that you have. It will allow you to install the weather channel, pandora radio, and some other apps directly onto the audio system. These apps however DO require wifi  either from the truck itself (i have the $20/month unlimited plan), or by using your phone as a hot spot.

Check out this tutorial regarding the 'shop' app. They have added more apps since this video was made, so be sure to check it out!!

Edited by Loco-diablo
  • Like 1

I know.   Beat to death, but I’ll ask again for those like me to hear again.

i have a cell phone with unlimited talk/data plan.  What else does $240/year get me?

2 hours ago, Boardmember said:

i have a cell phone with unlimited talk/data plan.  What else does $240/year get me?

I pay the $20 a month for unlimited WiFi because for $20 a month I can stream all I want to everyone in the car as much as I want (I think after 22GB you are throttled) for an extra $20 a month on my Verizon plan, I'd only be getting 2GB more so it was definitely worth getting the Wi-Fi plan in my circumstance since I've already used 8GB each month the past two months. Plus, my daughter can use her tablet and I don't have to pay $10 a month extra to activate the cellular on it.

5 hours ago, BoatALot said:

Yep, it just says NAV, not Onstar Nav. I believe it's a green icon.

I have the NAV on my 2018 as well. Using it makes me want to put a bullet through the display.  Bad routing, outdated routes, PITA to enter destinations while driving, no points of interests for anything I ever search for, the color scheme reminds me of an old chart plotter on my boat, I could go on. The only advantage I see is being able to view the turn by turn in the gauge cluster. I hope one day to see Android Auto and Car Play take advantage of that additional display.

If you have an Android phone and use Android Auto with Google Maps you'll never go back to anything else. It's amazing. Real-time traffic is updated much more frequently and is more accurate, the routing is better, you'll always find the POI you want, the speech recognition is amazing.

Edited by ChristopherDB

2 hours ago, Boardmember said:

"I pay the $20 a month for unlimited WiFi because for $20 a month I can stream all I want to everyone in the car as much as I want (I think after 22GB you are throttled) for an extra $20 a month on my Verizon plan, I'd only be getting 2GB more so it was definitely worth getting the Wi-Fi plan in my circumstance since I've already used 8GB each month the past two months. Plus, my daughter can use her tablet and I don't have to pay $10 a month extra to activate the cellular on it."

My dealer says At&t has some kind of partnership with the WI-FI and if you already have a unlimited phone plan with them you get the WI-FI on your truck turned on for next to nothing  ! I don't think you get any breaks with a verizon Plan

Edited by Artie61
Quoted wrong

Your dealer is correct but you will pay a $20 monthly fee to ATT for the data to be used on your truck. I’ve been there and done that. It was a MAJOR PITA to get the truck removed and canceled off my att plan. It took numerous phone calls and several months before it was finally removed. By using the onstar service you can cancel and add it at will or month to month. Plus I can add it and remove it from my phone using the onstar app. I feel it’s MUCH easier than using the ATT data from my phone plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Tahoe02 said:

ChristopherDB, can't you push the blue button and have the onstar adviser enter the address and send it to your truck. I know I can in my Tahoe.

Yes, you could but that process takes a few minutes to do that by the time they thank you for being a customer, ask for your pin, enter the address (if you actually have the entire address) and then send it to the vehicle. Asking for a POI takes even longer. You also have to pay for that service. With Android Auto, all I say is "OK Google, navigate to Animal Kingdom in Orlando" and it immediately gets the route and only takes as long as it takes you to say the phrase. If it's a local address I don't even need to bother with the city, state, or zip, it just knows. No pushing buttons or tapping icons, just say the phrase and you're done. 

Edited by ChristopherDB