Running E85??

Hello all,

Just curious I know that when Chevy still used gas caps yellow meant you were good to run E85 well since my 17 doesn't have a gas cap is there anything that tells me if I can run it? Or a rpo code in the glove box?

Sent from my xperia xz premium using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jauldusmc said:

Hello all,

Just curious I know that when Chevy still used gas caps yellow meant you were good to run E85 well since my 17 doesn't have a gas cap is there anything that tells me if I can run it? Or a rpo code in the glove box?

Sent from my xperia xz premium using Tapatalk

There will be a yellow flex fuel sticker on the inside of the gas door as well as a transparent flex fuel sticker on the drivers door window if it is a flex fuel truck. My truck was not a flex fuel truck when I bought it but I got all the OEM GM truck fuel lines and sensor and put them on myself. You will need a tuner to go in the PCM to activate the sensor and activate the e85 tables that are already there from the factory.

Edited by Gorske

10 hours ago, jauldusmc said:

Or a rpo code in the glove box?

RPO codes

FHO: Non Flex

FHS: Flex Fuel

sensor is located on the drives side of the frame in the fuel line with quick connects if you have it if you don’t it’s just 3 mounting holes and a red connector with 3 wires (white black purple if I remember right) not hooked to anything.

There will be a yellow flex fuel sticker on the inside of the gas door as well as a transparent flex fuel sticker on the drivers door window if it is a flex fuel truck. My truck was not a flex fuel truck when I bought it but I got all the OEM GM truck fuel lines and sensor and put them on myself. You will need a tuner to go in the PCM to activate the sensor and activate the e85 tables that are already there from the factory.
Are the tables already populated correctly? If so, I may do this since I have HPT already from a previous car.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, hizzo3 said:

Are the tables already populated correctly? If so, I may do this since I have HPT already from a previous car.

They are. If your going to pay for the credits you might as well just have it tuned also. :)

Edited by Gorske

Just now, hizzo3 said:

Good point. I wonder if tuners mind working on my install of HPT instead of theirs. I don't want the tune locked, in case I need to get back in there later

Contact Zak with Klug Performance. I am sure you can send him your tune file, and he with send you a modified tune to upload. I am not sure how much he would charge for that.

https://www.facebook.com/Klug-Performance-1563100830623160/

• 4 weeks later...

I would be interested to know how many of you are currently running the E85 Fuel. My 2014 Jimmy 5.3 liter seems to love the stuff. I lost around 3 miles per gallon but the performance seems to be superior to the 87 reg gas i was running. Idle is very smooth and my acceleration feels a lot more responsive. I have read both pro's and con's but besides the loss in MPG's i don't see any other cons.  

54 minutes ago, Hammer1963 said:

I would be interested to know how many of you are currently running the E85 Fuel. My 2014 Jimmy 5.3 liter seems to love the stuff. I lost around 3 miles per gallon but the performance seems to be superior to the 87 reg gas i was running. Idle is very smooth and my acceleration feels a lot more responsive. I have read both pro's and con's but besides the loss in MPG's i don't see any other cons.  

To me there are no other con's other than loss of MPG.  I have been running E85 in my 2002 Silverado 5.3 and it isn't a FF vehicle or tuned for it and the truck loves it.  Been running it mixed with 93 for the past 2 years.  I notice a cleaner tail pipe, better throttle response and just seems to have better acceleration.  Not to mention right now July 2, 2018 E85 is $2.16 a gallon and 93 is $3.16 a gallon.  So the cost of loss of MPG is mute.

On 6/5/2018 at 5:04 AM, Gorske said:

Can you tell me more about how you converted to e85? I have a Magnuson supercharger on my 2017 Sierra 6.2L and asked Ryne Cunningham (http://www.cunningham-motorsports.com/) if I could convert it to e85. He said it would take a minimum of Lt4 injectors, a high pressure fuel pump, a larger fuel lobe camshaft, and a low side fuel system to supply more fuel pressure. Maybe this was all because of the supercharger, I don't know...?

1 hour ago, Mileguru said:

Can you tell me more about how you converted to e85? I have a Magnuson supercharger on my 2017 Sierra 6.2L and asked Ryne Cunningham (http://www.cunningham-motorsports.com/) if I could convert it to e85. He said it would take a minimum of Lt4 injectors, a high pressure fuel pump, a larger fuel lobe camshaft, and a low side fuel system to supply more fuel pressure. Maybe this was all because of the supercharger, I don't know...?

The one big difference with your setup versus mine since we are both supercharged is our motors. The 5.3 did have a flex fuel option from the factory so I was able to get the OEM flex fuel fuel lines and sensor from a GM dealer and have them installed. Tuning wise the e85 fuel tables are already there from the factory. They are just disabled till you have the OEM flex fuel sensor. The 6.2 is not a flex fuel motor from the factory. You would have to get an aftermarket flex fuel sensor and then have your tune changed by a tuner. I am not familiar with what all is involved with setting up the 6.2 to run e85. Now to the boosted part of the equation. I was able to run e85 on my truck prior to the supercharger. Now with the supercharger I can not run e85 without upgrading the fuel system. My options would be LT4 injector with a after market cam with a bigger fuel lobe or LT4 injectors with a different fuel pump which I understand is pretty costly for both options. I would say they are sending you in the right direction for what you will need to run e85 with your supercharged 6.2 Right now I am just running 93 in my truck now to avoid putting the extra strain on the fuel system. I will most likely stick with 93, upgrade to long tube headers, and just enjoy the truck how it is. That being said I do miss my e85 :(

Edited by Gorske

48 minutes ago, Gorske said:

The one big difference with your setup versus mine since we are both supercharged is our motors. The 5.3 did have a flex fuel option from the factory so I was able to get the OEM flex fuel fuel lines and sensor from a GM dealer and have them installed. Tuning wise the e85 fuel tables are already there from the factory. They are just disabled till you have the OEM flex fuel sensor. The 6.2 is not a flex fuel motor from the factory. You would have to get an aftermarket flex fuel sensor and then have your tune changed by a tuner. I am not familiar with what all is involved with setting up the 6.2 to run e85. Now to the boosted part of the equation. I was able to run e85 on my truck prior to the supercharger. Now with the supercharger I can not run e85 without upgrading the fuel system. My options would be LT4 injector with a after market cam with a bigger fuel lobe or LT4 injectors with a different fuel pump which I understand is pretty costly for both options. I would say they are sending you in the right direction for what you will need to run e85 with your supercharged 6.2 Right now I am just running 93 in my truck now to avoid putting the extra strain on the fuel system. I will most likely stick with 93, upgrade to long tube headers, and just enjoy the truck how it is. That being said I do miss my e85 :(

I forgot you have a 5.3, that's the difference. My bad. And I forgot that you have a Pro Charger (if memory serves), so now you're off the e85. I'm going to stop chasing the e85 conversion, it's not worth it. Like you said, enjoy it the way it is. .....until the AlkyControl kit =)

55 minutes ago, Mileguru said:

I forgot you have a 5.3, that's the difference. My bad. And I forgot that you have a Pro Charger (if memory serves), so now you're off the e85. I'm going to stop chasing the e85 conversion, it's not worth it. Like you said, enjoy it the way it is. .....until the AlkyControl kit =)

Oh no problem and yes ProCharger :) Meth would be fun!!

2 hours ago, Paintor said:

I have 9 hours of driving tomorrow and gas is $3 a gallon...E85 $2.27.

Shes burnin alcohol on this run.

Just make sure it's available wherever you're going.  What it boils down to besides racing is how much does it cost to run per mile?  For my truck, it costs $.21 cents a mile to run the truck on high test gasoline or $.17 cents a mile to run the truck on E85.