Why Expensive Oil Is A Waste Of Money

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

When the warranty’s started going longer and trucks started getting more complicated I quit the extended and went dealer recommended, with my cars too. Hyundai recommends 3400 miles, GM trucks usually 7,000 miles, Toyota 10,000 miles. Crazy world. I’m in the same boat as Grumpy. One year 5,000 miles.

More complicated and HOTTER. Every time the oil industry improves the lubricant 5% the OEM's increase the abuse factor by 10%.

Thermostats for about 50 years were all 180F, then 185F, 192 F, 197 F and now....207F.  Bulk oil temperatures have risen over 40 degrees. The engine compartment is crowed and shrouded silly. A real kids Easy Bake Oven. When in the past did the OEM's attach transmission thermostats to the cooling system that hold the fluid in the danger zone that every major trans remanufacture, modifier and cooler company reports as safe? The oil companies and OEM's can claim what they want. And they do and in a way that is deceitful. They make a claim for a peak number in such a way EVERYONE believes is an okay normal operating temperature.

Serious. Oil engineers say 200 F bulk oil temperature is the absolute MAXIMUM for *W20 and yet GM specifies it for some motors that have thermostats of 207F and a radiator cooer mounted in the hot tank. 

If you like, fine but not in my stuff.  I like to think for myself. One year or 5K 100% syn. Less other. GM, nor anyone else gets to engineer a fatal flaw into my truck to force buying another. :fume:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Honda guys like to talk about how Honda is the world's biggest engine manufacturer. Everything from 2 stroke and generator's to Indy Car engines, so THEY KNOW.

But I haven't been able to figure out their Oil Change schedule, besides going for cost of maintenance ratings. The Fantastic J35, calls for oil once a year and Filter's every two. And the filters are a higher debate, they have efficiency rating of 60% new, likely to last two years(the more it traps, the better at filtering). But, then again the Odyssey's use these engine's and those things are never on the side of the road.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

There is what 'people say' then there is what 'people do'.

I have no interest in Briggs & Stratton's claim for no need to change oil EVER or Honda's claims for two year filter service intervals.

I have no interest in 'consumer reviews' or public opinion. No interest what so ever in what anyone who has no vested interest in my personal finances and families welfare has to say about much of anything at all. Somehow ignorant, selfish and greedy seems to think they have a say in just about everything. Guess again.

Father taught me that after digging a hole if you hose off the spade and coat it with oil...it will last forever or until you flat wear it out from abrasion. He's 90. Still has his fathers garden tools from the early 20th's century and uses them harder than any current 20 year old even knows how to. Now someone wants to say that because the oil is better I can skip coating the shovel every time and just do it once a decade. OR coating it is BS. Really? Well maybe that is laughable. Don't really care. I've never in 65 years experienced a motor failure from changing my oil to often or using to good a lubricant, over filtering it or having too much cooler. Fact is, I've never experienced an oil related motor failure. Or transmission lubrication failure or wore out a rear end.  I flat broke a few mistreating them. Not hardly a maintenance issue. I have sent a few to the bone yard with drivelines people pull out and place in theirs to drive another 100K or more. It's a family tradition. No one will pay me but they line up to pick my bones. :) 

I don't look at the one I'm sure to keep and the one I bought to get me by any differently. If I own it a week or thirty years it gets the same level of care. I don't care if I'll never see the result of my fine care or that it will benefit someone else. Like that is a bad thing? Laugh at me and call me foolish? Whatever.  

There are about 8 billion people on this planet and half of them believe that everything in their live is like toilet paper. To be used and discarded. He other half are so bone poor they can only wish. That butt wipe thinking has put the cost of a product worth exactly a dime over a hundred dollars. Everything from candy bars to Space Shuttles. Whatever. Like a thread like this is going to change my mind.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I went down to 5% my Honda while on vacation. Lowest I have gone. Had 9400 miles on Mobil 1 AP and their matching filter. There is a guy on the Honda site going by the computer I believe and has over 300k on his 2014.

The Mazda dealer uses Castrol GTX Magnatec every 5k. Our service agreement expires in 2 changes and I'm going to the Mazda recommended 7500 then, haven't decided what oil. Might use Edge since that is what Mazda likes(and our dealer had one of those "lifetime powertrain warranty with every purchase deals") at the time, and the only requirement is following the schedule and proving you did. 

They don't like me much, they give you those reasonable maintenance contracts so they can up sell you, and my answer is always "I did it myself" or " waiting on the parts" every visit.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:37 PM, SnakeEyeSS said:

There is a guy on the Honda site going by the computer I believe and has over 300k on his 2014.

What kind of driving do you suppose it takes to put 300K on a 5 year old car? 

?

It’s like asking is an expensive car a waste of time, depends on what you consider expensive and what positives and negatives there are, you always get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure Amsoil is wonderful. According to the tests, reviews and plugs for it.

However, I have to think back to the 80s when my Dad ran the cheapest oil he could find on sale at the time in his vehicles.

He purchased a new 1988 Silverado and it is still on the road today with over 288,000 miles running most of its life on conventional Quaker State motor oil.

Today's synthetics are or should be superior to conventional oil of yesteryears. So any good "Full Synthetic" should do the trick just fine. Even Amazon Basics!

I also believe that you get what you pay for. In some instances we tend to overpay for many things simply because of reputation or advertising.

For example....  the Ford F150 has been the "best selling truck" for what ?...…..   100 years now.

Why? Is it clearly better built or longer lasting than a GM, RAM/Dodge, Toyota or Nissan ?

Or because the television or highway billboard says you should purchase one since it is the best selling truck for 100 years now?

The same holds true for motor oil IMHO

:flag:

• 3 weeks later...

You could run Castor Bean Oil and get acceptable engine life IF you change it often enough. I don't really know how to state the thing more clearly. The question is; how often is often enough?

The answer does NOT depend on often quoted industry standard numbers.

It does NOT depend on a manufactures fancy math or simple counter OLM. 

It does NOT depend on your budget.

It's doesn't care about your beliefs or training or experience or education.

It doesn't even depend on your UOA's.  

It depends on the oils chemistry. 

It depends on the oils average bulk temperature. 

It depends on the oil initial additive package levels. 

It depends on the engines use. 

It depends on the engines load. 

It depends on the engines fuel. 

You treat a Castor Bean oil like a NPG Ester and you'll have a junk motor in 50 miles. Treat for what it is and it works just fine. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

I did notice cooler temps and fuel mileage in my 90s dodge and Ford diesel pulling trucks with Amsoil. I couldn’t hardly fudge it. On the highway it was 4th gear flat out at highway speed. They were pulling too heavy for 5th gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1