Why Expensive Oil Is A Waste Of Money

On 1/20/2019 at 10:43 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Funny concept "semi-synthetic". Funny as it has yet to be defined by the industry in a way the inspires trust. Currently you can have as little as 5% synthetic stock and call it a semi-synthetic or as much as 99%. A true 'pig in a poke sack'. Seems about right from a governing group who also has trouble with the definition of synthetic in general. :lol:

It isn't just the oil industry that does this. A material that is but 51% actual leather can be marketed as "REAL LEATHER". How much of a statement has to be a lie before the statement is a lie? My Cobbler informed me to this recently when we took in a pair of the wife's shoes that 'delaminated' that were sold as "real leather uppers".  

That is why you check and see what percentage of synthetic is in their mix.  The oil brand I primarily use is forthcoming with that.  They mix it at 25% synthetic.   

Besides, it really isn't that big of a deal nowadays.  There are conventional oils that rival many synthetics in several categories.  The natural gas to liquid base oils (GTL) offer virtually the same performance as synthetics even though they are classified as conventional.    The Pennzoil conventional I use in the wife's Cadillac beats a lot of full synthetics in both base oil performance and the quality fo the additive package.  The testing by the Petroleum Quality Institute of America confirms that.

And it really is the add pack that makes many oils good, better, best.   The add pack makes up to 20% of any motor oil.  Even the absolute best synthetic base oil will grenade an engine if it is not tied with a good additive package.  Folks tend to forget that motor oils area blend of many products.  

Edited by Cowpie

• 5 weeks later...

Right. Next up, some basement commando snowflake with no real-world experience and nothing better to do, will be telling us expensive filters, fuel, brakes, tires, etc, are a waste of money. The author probably only uses Uber anyway. 

There are just some things in life where the cheapest is not always the best. That would also include sushi, surgeons, lawyers, and hookers. :D

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Right. Next up, some basement commando snowflake with no real-world experience and nothing better to do, will be telling us expensive filters, fuel, brakes, tires, etc, are a waste of money. The author probably only uses Uber anyway. 

There are just some things in life where the cheapest is not always the best. That would also include sushi, surgeons, lawyers, and hookers. [emoji3]
You volunteer to test the sushi and surgeons, and I'll cover the other two. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How is using an expensive oil a waste of money to the person using it unless someone else is picking up the tab?   I suppose we could also use that argument for just about anything.  Is it not a total waste of money to buy a pickup truck for a daily driver when a compact car would do the job?   There is not one who can refute that on a  economic level.  But I contend, it is not a waste of money to anyone if the product they are buying is doing the job, and it is at a price they are comfortable paying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, amused2deth said:

Question, does anyone go by the oil life % rather than mileage? If so what the lowest you will go?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Dad does in his 06 DTS, the lowest we've gone is I think like 5%. That car runs like the sunrise!

I've gone to 8% in my 96 DeVille, no issues with that change. 

My Honda's (3 of them) plus a Toyota all went exactly 7500 miles per change which was 0% on the OLM. Everyone of them has gone 200K ++. That said I recently have reverted to 5K, or one year, now that the fleet is larger just to keep it easier to remember.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. AFM has put a 5K hard ceiling on my comfort zone for the GM's so equipped. If I used conventional oil that would be 2500 - 3000. 

• Like 1

When the warranty’s started going longer and trucks started getting more complicated I quit the extended and went dealer recommended, with my cars too. Hyundai recommends 3400 miles, GM trucks usually 7,000 miles, Toyota 10,000 miles. Crazy world. I’m in the same boat as Grumpy. One year 5,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cowpie said:

How is using an expensive oil a waste of money to the person using it unless someone else is picking up the tab?   I suppose we could also use that argument for just about anything.  Is it not a total waste of money to buy a pickup truck for a daily driver when a compact car would do the job?   There is not one who can refute that on a  economic level.  But I contend, it is not a waste of money to anyone if the product they are buying is doing the job, and it is at a price they are comfortable paying. 

Agree.

What ever makes you happy.

:)