Deep transmission pan

I'm looking into putting a B&M deep transmission pan(70392) on my 2014 sierra 6.2. It seems to run a little hot when just riding around town and more so when I'm towing so I figured it wouldnt be a bad idea, especially since it has a drain plug. Any one put one of these on their trucks? Any cons about doing this? Thanks!

I wouldn't spend money on and hassle with extra transmission cooling until you know you actually need it.  The stock thermostat in these trucks will keep your trans running 190+ even in conditions where your stock trans cooler would have the ability to significantly drop temps.  You can bypass your stock thermostat for free, see what temps it runs with that bypassed and evaluate if you need more cooling before buying anything else.

Of course aftermarket pans can be nice, so if you want one of those anyway there's nothing wrong with that.  But I wouldn't buy one specifically for cooling.

• Like 1

Yep, better technology. The "A.N." fittings are not cheap though. The cooler cost goes up 200-300% as well.

For a cheap plug and play option I would not recommend them, but if you want good premium performance - that is the way to go. 

That's what I run on my race quads, with temp activated cooling fans and a manual activate/de-activate override switch on the bars. 

They are made without A.N. fittings too. I just used your picture. The link I provided takes you to one.

We use a larger Hayden without AN fittings on every truck we've got in our yard. From '03 to '18. It's a great cooler and we've found no need for additional cooling fan

Edited by txab

Tap, Tap, Tap.  Is this thing on?  You guys do realize the truck in question already has a very large (for a 1/2 ton) plate/fin transmission cooler in front of the radiator, right?  GM keeps the transmissions running warm with a thermostat and running the fluid through the hot side of the radiator, which will act as a heater 95% of the time in stock form.   Adding more coolers before those things are addressed is the wrong way to solve the problem.  There are downsides to adding more coolers in front of the radiator, particularly when they aren't needed.

has anyone put an aftermarket drain plug on a transmission pan? I think instead of the larger pan i might just do that instead. Any aftrermarket drain plugs any one recommends? Or is that a bad idea?

I wouldnt do a drain plug on the tranny. Looking in the pan for things other than fluid is like reading tea leaves to predict its future.

2 issues i have with thru the pan fitting above. Fluid drains very slowly and wont pull any debris with it. And it leaves >1/4" fluid in the pan with all the debris in it.

Edited by Pearl2017