Diablew/Blackbear vs custom dyno tune after header install

Hi all, 

I am seriously considering installing a set of Texas Speed catted headers on my 2015 5.3 Silverado. I know that I will need and want a tune after they are installed but I am struggling with the tune part. I am moving next week to southwestern Colorado and unfortunately, there are very few shops that offer tuning and dyno services in my area. In fact, the only shop I have found has not responded to my emails or phone calls so I might be out of luck. My question is, after installing headers, can I get by with a custom tune from blackbear or diablew? I am no expert but I thought on a custom dyno tune, you can adjust as you make pulls to maximize power and drivability. Can blackbear / diablew provide just as good of a tune even though it will be created remotely? Or do I need a tune created in person using a dyno?

Also, I ran several searches before creating this post without finding anything that related to my question. If such a form already exists, please point me to it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

On 7/22/2018 at 12:08 AM, Nasty said:

Blackbear has gone downhill lately. A lot or people having issues andtunes taking forever to get. 

We strive to complete all tunes and updates as quickly as we can.  If there is a specific issue that you would like to address, we would be happy to do that.

I've had email tunes from both mentioned above and I can't say enough good things about the black bear tune...specifically the transmission tune.  I never thought the 6 speed could shift that well.  I just received my tune last week and just need to send a follow up data log to make sure it's all dialed in.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 12:49 PM, 2014KL said:

I've had email tunes from both mentioned above and I can't say enough good things about the black bear tune...specifically the transmission tune.  I never thought the 6 speed could shift that well.  I just received my tune last week and just need to send a follow up data log to make sure it's all dialed in.

Thanks for the review. We are happy you are enjoying the tune! Let us know if you have any questions.

Edited by BlackBearPerf

Debating putting headers on same 2016 vehicle with exhaust and AFE CAI.  I live in the upstate ny and Im worried about corrosion on headers.  What is realistic gains with headers before tune?  I understand a tune needs to be done, but imo headers are expensive and without decent gains I will just get tune.

I would suggest you do both at the same time unless you're just doing shorty headers which won't see much for gains anyway.  With long tubes you'll see the biggest gains in upper rpm band which I personally wouldn't test without a tune to adjust the fuel mixture. I'm not sure how rich these engines are from the factory but I wouldn't take the chance of leaning it out too much.   If you're just doing one to start with I'd suggest the tune.

11 hours ago, snowman44 said:

Debating putting headers on same 2016 vehicle with exhaust and AFE CAI.  I live in the upstate ny and Im worried about corrosion on headers.  What is realistic gains with headers before tune?  I understand a tune needs to be done, but imo headers are expensive and without decent gains I will just get tune.

It has been proven that basic bolt ons, CAI/Headers can net as much as 40hp with these LT's when tuned for it. A 304 stainless header wont rust too quickly, depending on wall thickness and EGT's. You could always wrap them with header wrap, it may be beneficial to do this if you are running your truck in the winter as LT headers will dissipate a lot of heat in the winter as opposed to the cast iron manifolds. My friends old 92 Silverado did not like to run well in the winter with LT's but fuel delivery and tuning has changed a lot since then, and it's -40f up here in Canada in the winter.