Fiberglass Sun Visor

Has anyone installed a fiberglass sun visor on their sierra/silverado and have pictures to share? I've tried searching the forums but can't find any examples. I think the right design would look really good on these trucks especially in an offset matte black to my summit white body. Probably would require some modifications but I like a challenge.  Appreciate any thoughts in advance. Thanks. 

example: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-480012/overview/

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 4.50.42 PM.png

First, not my style at all.  Second, as paper thin as the steel roof panel is on these trucks there is no way I would trust any type of screws to hold a visor on at speed. I get scared just waxing mine, and it's got the smallest roof of all being a regular cab.

Good luck !

First, not my style at all.  Second, as paper thin as the steel roof panel is on these trucks there is no way I would trust any type of screws to hold a visor on at speed. I get scared just waxing mine, and it's got the smallest roof of all being a regular cab.

Good luck !

If these roofs are capable of holding 100lb roof racks a fiberglass visor would be the least of my worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned trucks for several decades and never had this type of visor so I can't speak to why they fell out of popularity. Some research as to why may be worthwhile.  If I did want such an addition, I'd check with a shop that specializes in marine or auto fiberglass fabrication.  They could possibly fabricate one from scratch or modify an older one to fit.  A modification like this would certainly make your truck stand out and could look very impressive!

Looks like most manufacturers stop at about the 2006 models. If you google it a bunch of suppliers come up but most of them don't go past the late 90's.

59 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

yeah, havent seen a truck since the 90s have em lol

I think 1996 is the newest truck I've seen with one. haha.

But honestly I don't hate the look, but I too would be afraid of drilling through the roof to install. Too much risk of causing a leak for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Viktorrocks15 said:

Why???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious as to why not.  It is easy to see the pros and cons to most modifications discussed on this forum but this one maybe more a case of "style" that has passed in popularity.  Op obviously likes the look and/or function of this modification and it may be helpful to share potential obstacles.  So far, an increased chance of roof leaks and a concern about roof integrity have been mentioned.  I wonder if there may be a noise issue.  I am confident there are members who have done this to their trucks in the past and will hopefully  comment.

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I've owned trucks for several decades and never had this type of visor so I can't speak to why they fell out of popularity. Some research as to why may be worthwhile.  If I did want such an addition, I'd check with a shop that specializes in marine or auto fiberglass fabrication.  They could possibly fabricate one from scratch or modify an older one to fit.  A modification like this would certainly make your truck stand out and could look very impressive!

A custom fabrication would be ideal. I might have to start drawing some sketches. I wish I was better with vector imaging and could mock something up on the computer. 

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

It is easy to see the pros and cons to most modifications discussed on this forum but this one maybe more a case of "style" that has passed in popularity.  Op obviously likes the look and/or function of this modification and it may be helpful to share potential obstacles. 

Totally agree. To each, his/her own. 

Not every mod I’ve done to my truck is everyone’s cup of tea, but if you like it pursue it!! Case in point, my Sportwing spoiler:4529b5fdb811f81eccda92bc2983c553.jpg

I checked Sportwing to see if they had anything but just rear spoilers no front visors. Could you retrofit an older model to a newer truck? It’s just abs plastic or fiberglass usually.