A/C Compressor Clutch, Bearing, or all the above?

Last weekend I was traveling with my truck pulling my 24' camper and running the AC. The AC randomly started acting like it couldn't push out any cold air any longer. A half hour later, we started hearing a squealing noise. I shut off the AC, and we could still hear the squealing/grinding but it was not nearly as bad. I kicked on the AC one more time to see what it sounded like and it was almost like a thump/grinding (hard to explain) from within the cab. I found the nearest pull off and recorded this video, having my wife cycle the AC on and back off. Looks like maybe the clutch is broken? Would the squealing be reminiscent of a bearing? Or can the clutch also cause this? See below for video:

I cut the belt off in order to make it through our 300 mile trip.

Any tips on what this may be? I've been watching videos on how to replace the compressor clutch. Just uncertain of what to do here. I'd like to perform the work myself if it means that I don't have to disconnect the HVAC lines. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Yep, at a minimum, clutch assembly. Typically requires an ability to hold the compressor rotor while tightening the clutch to a specific gap. Common item for auto climate control with the clutch engaging/disengaging all the time. Not sure of spec for your specific model.

26 minutes ago, sefiroxx said:

Yep, at a minimum, clutch assembly. Typically requires an ability to hold the compressor rotor while tightening the clutch to a specific gap. Common item for auto climate control with the clutch engaging/disengaging all the time. Not sure of spec for your specific model.

Thanks for your reply! I have seen that GM compressor work requires special tools that can be borrowed from an auto parts store. I am uncertain what I am getting into. But I was hoping it wasn't the compressor that's shot (I doubt it?). I have climate control in my SLT so that makes sense that the clutch would wear out quicker..

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.. any other input before I decide to take this task on in my own garage, or just take it to a shop in the next couple months? (Beginning of winter project added to the list) 

Edited by KMK94

On 9/6/2018 at 3:24 PM, sefiroxx said:

Relatively simple. I have done a couple of Cadillacs with tight space. Keep waiting for a GM truck to go where there is a lot more room emoji3.png

So, you are saying you can change out the compressor clutch without removing the AC lines to the compressor?

I was thinking of buying this kit, but i dont know if its overboard, or exactly what i need:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/acdelco-gm-oe-a-c-compressor-clutch-kit-with-clutch-coil-and-pulley-r1010511135acd/11491487-P?searchTerm=compressor+clutch

On 9/8/2018 at 7:09 PM, txab said:

No need to evacuate system. As long as you have room to work on it. The kit you reference can be bought for  much less at other places

Where would you recommend looking? Rockauto or ebay? I just want quality parts. Not some cheap crap that will wear out 2 years from now. Thanks for your input!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1251326&cc=1432417&jsn=453&jsn=453

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=160887&cc=1432417&jsn=454&jsn=454

Hard to tell the difference between these... I believe mine is a flex fuel engine as I have a Z coded VIN (8th number on VIN?) Does this mean I automatically need to go with the $158.99 kit?

• 1 month later...

well it has cooled off so I haven't made this a bigger issue...

It is very hard for me to turn the pulley by hand as well.... Bearing must be shot as well....?

Has anyone rebuilt a compressor with a new bearing? Is it better to just fork out the money and get a whole new unit?

Lately, with the availability of limited lifetime warranty parts from the various marked up bricks and mortar - I have opted for full replace.

To get full warranty, you will also need to replace the driver and orifice. (When a compressor fails, it has a tendency to intent pieces into the system). To minimize the likelihood of another failure, you'll want to flush the system of any pieces that might stuck to the walls.