Oil Filter Change, Update or...

Took my 2017 into for the last freebie LOF a couple of weeks ago. Looking @ the work order yesterday, I noticed that they used a PF63E filter. I checked under the truck this morning & yes it is a PF63E.

Has there been an 'official' update for the 6 L motors or is this a case where the 'tech' is just using the same filter as the other versions of the LS motors?

I was planning on using the longer WIX #57045 (PF63 equivalent) after the 4 dealer oil changes.

9 hours ago, mjm-1957 said:

What engine is it? The 6.0 takes a PF48

6 L in a 2500HD. And yes I know GM has spec'd a 'baby food jar' sized filter for several years. My 1st 2500 (a 2000 Sierra) had a longer filter similar to the PF63 until the original filter was 'obsoleted'.

I went to the UPF-48R and you can as well.  PF-48E is the correct filter however.  Everyone changes to a taller filter thinking its beneficial yet if it were, the OEMs would spec it as such.     

https://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=7627 

The PF64 and PF63 (Fig. 20) filters are commonly confused as an ACDelco PF48 and/or PF48E filter because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However, these oil filters are not the same and have different internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications. The PF48/PF48E has a pressure specification of 15 PSI (100 kPa) while the PF64/PF63E has a pressure specification of 22 PSI (150 kPa).

Ed. says:

The PF64/PF63E is designed for the GEN 5 engine with a variable displacement oil pump so it can’t be used on a GEN 4 engine.

Edited by newdude

Meh... that internal bypass bs isnt common to all longer filters lol.  Gm did it with theirs and that's about it... the longer filter is a much better choice when you run intervals of 15000 plus miles like I do.

Not to mention let's understand the purpose of the bypass... the 22 psi spring means you need 22 pounds of oil pressure differential across the filter to bypass it instead of only 15 pounds... Its going to be just fine.

Edited by SierraHD17

New Dude, You can' t argue with all the experts on this forum that know more than the engineers that actually designed the engine in the first place.I am a line mechanic in a GMC-Buick dealership and everyday we deal with people that know more about their trucks or cars then we do because they read it on the internet.I want this done to  my car or truck because thats what I read on the internet. But sir your truck or car is not even the same model or year...I don't care I want it done right now and I'm not paying.

• Like 2

On 2018-10-03 at 7:28 PM, mjm-1957 said:

New Dude, You can' t argue with all the experts on this forum that know more than the engineers that actually designed the engine in the first place.I am a line mechanic in a GMC-Buick dealership and everyday we deal with people that know more about their trucks or cars then we do because they read it on the internet.I want this done to  my car or truck because thats what I read on the internet. But sir your truck or car is not even the same model or year...I don't care I want it done right now and I'm not paying.

So if the techs are right why was the 'wrong' filter installed on my truck w/o my asking?