Automatic OBD-II Monitor With 5.3L V8

I've had an Automatic plugged into the OBD-II port of my 2010 commuter sedan since buying it new.  And it's been great for checking the occasional CEL code.  I was able to immediately find out when the code thrown related to my catalytic converter, which on that car had a history of throwing metal into the engine since it was located so close to the block.  So I was able to immediately get it over to the shop before it had a chance to torpedo my engine.  Another code which comes up every few weeks during the spring and fall (when temps fluctuate wildly here) is a nuisance code that just needs to be cleared.  And again Automatic and it's app have been great.  

I'm thinking of getting a new Automatic (https://automatic.com) for my 2018 Silverado LT with the 5.3L engine.  Anybody have any experience with this combination or know of any problems?

Having anything plugged into the OBD-II port keeps On-Star from being able to generate the monthly reports they send for you.

That was the only downside I saw when running my Automatic adapter in my 2014

I just have one of those $100 Innova OBDII readers I carry on long trips. Lately I keep it in the 2014 because it has a reoccurring trans issue that GM can not solve. Are these "automatics" vehicle specific or a plug and play in any OBDII port? If they are VIN or vehicle coded, you may just want a handheld that you can keep in the glove box so you can use it on your wife's or friend's car too. If the "automatics" are plug and play in any OBDII that's a great idea because my handheld doesn't give me much for information besides the code so I always just end up Googling the code once I have it and go from there. 

I got a cheapo one off Amazon for like $20. Like this ->https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Scanner-Adapter-Diagnostic-Android/dp/B00W0SDLRY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1538500606&sr=8-6&keywords=obdii+reader

I do not leave it plugged in when not in use. I have used it on my other car to check and clear codes. My truck has not thrown a code yet, but I did use it when moving my plow in hot weather to monitor the transmission temp. It worked well. Other than that i have only played with it a little here and there.

I think the code reader is pretty simple in design, anything that sends the signal to your smartphone is very handy. I have no prior experience with "Automatic". I use the torque lite app for mine. 

50 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I just have one of those $100 Innova OBDII readers I carry on long trips. Lately I keep it in the 2014 because it has a reoccurring trans issue that GM can not solve. Are these "automatics" vehicle specific or a plug and play in any OBDII port? If they are VIN or vehicle coded, you may just want a handheld that you can keep in the glove box so you can use it on your wife's or friend's car too. If the "automatics" are plug and play in any OBDII that's a great idea because my handheld doesn't give me much for information besides the code so I always just end up Googling the code once I have it and go from there. 

It's not VIN or vehicle specific.  You just have to check on their site to make sure the adapter works for your vehicle.  But it either does or it doesn't.  There's just one.  

And it is supposed to monitor for signs from the computer that there has been a crash.  And you can program it for who it contacts - since it links to your smart phone.  My existing one makes a little beep when I start out if it's able to connect to my iPhone or a different signal if something with the connection went wrong.  How well it works in the event of a crash is questionable - I've read people report airbags deploying and it didn't notice.  But theoretically it's "On Star-lite" permanently for what On Star would charge for just a few months of their safety service.  

So although it does have the ability to read codes and clear them, it's meant to be more than just an OBD-II code reader.  They are really shooting to be an "On Star-lite" type service - including for those makes/models for which On Star isn't even an option.

Edited by mopac