What is causing my loose steering

I recently got a 2005 1500 z71. It is a good truck that has had some work done to it. But the only persistent mechanical problem left is the steering. The truck has 215,000 miles and has just had the rear end rebuilt. They also installed a new pitman arm, but the the steering is loose and sloppy. The wheel has to be turned about 10 to 15 degrees sometimes to go straight, and I am constantly having to correct it while going down the road. It likes to wonder to the left or right depending on the bank of the road. It does not make any noises when turning so I don’t think it is the ball bearings. There is no play in the wheel, but it seems to me that the tie rods or the sway bar is worn out. I crawled under the truck and grabbed both tie rods, but they are solid as a rock. The dealer aligned the wheels with a laser beam setup that clamps on the wheel, but that was only because they removed the rear axle. The truck has a 1 inch lift and the engine was replaced and the one in it only has 84,000 miles. It was used as a farm truck so since the rear end had to be replaced it’s not hard to imagine that something in the front end would be needing to be replaced. Tires are 285 All terrains if that matters any.

Edited by HunterC0827
  • Like 1

I recently had the same issue with my 03 silverado 1500 with -14 eagle alloy wheels (18x9.5), 2in spacers, and 35x11.5x18 Toyo rt. I replaced the pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm bracket, tie rod ends, and upper control arms. After replacing these parts my steering became much tighter and took out almost all play. Before I replaced these parts my truck was all over the road.dbfa6c090d02bcea29d854deeee58b3c.jpg6ae91604c8819efedeef6e97cf435c7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another thing you want to have checked is the steering box . After i replaced everything short of control arm bushings on my 03 Silverado 1500 4x4  ( all stock ) and had it aligned I also asked the mechanic to adjust the steering box.  I made a world of difference.  No more lose, wandering front end. 

6 hours ago, carsonmorris123 said:

I recently had the same issue with my 03 silverado 1500 with -14 eagle alloy wheels (18x9.5), 2in spacers, and 35x11.5x18 Toyo rt. I replaced the pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm bracket, tie rod ends, and upper control arms. After replacing these parts my steering became much tighter and took out almost all play. Before I replaced these parts my truck was all over the road.dbfa6c090d02bcea29d854deeee58b3c.jpg6ae91604c8819efedeef6e97cf435c7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I will probably look at it again to see if anything is loose. I’ll get someone to turn the wheel while I look and if that doesn’t show anything, then it’s most likely the idler arm or steering box. As I mentioned the Pittman arm is brand new, and the tie rods don’t move any when you grab them. The front tires are both worn evenly so it’s not an alignment issue. (Plus the truck was just aligned when the diff was rebuilt). One thing I need to address is that in the post I said the wheel had no play, but I drove it just a little while ago and realized that it actually had about 5 degrees of play on each side of center. I’ll look at it some more and see if I find anything. Thanks for the help. 

9 hours ago, HunterC0827 said:

I recently got a 2005 1500 z71. It is a good truck that has had some work done to it. But the only persistent mechanical problem left is the steering. The truck has 215,000 miles and has just had the rear end rebuilt. They also installed a new pitman arm, but the the steering is loose and sloppy. The wheel has to be turned about 10 to 15 degrees sometimes to go straight, and I am constantly having to correct it while going down the road. It likes to wonder to the left or right depending on the bank of the road. It does not make any noises when turning so I don’t think it is the ball bearings. There is no play in the wheel, but it seems to me that the tie rods or the sway bar is worn out. I crawled under the truck and grabbed both tie rods, but they are solid as a rock. The dealer aligned the wheels with a laser beam setup that clamps on the wheel, but that was only because they removed the rear axle. The truck has a 1 inch lift and the engine was replaced and the one in it only has 84,000 miles. It was used as a farm truck so since the rear end had to be replaced it’s not hard to imagine that something in the front end would be needing to be replaced. Tires are 285 All terrains if that matters any.

Check out your steering shaft under hood driver side for slop in the ujoints 

13 hours ago, HunterC0827 said:

Thanks for the input. I will probably look at it again to see if anything is loose. I’ll get someone to turn the wheel while I look and if that doesn’t show anything, then it’s most likely the idler arm or steering box. As I mentioned the Pittman arm is brand new, and the tie rods don’t move any when you grab them. The front tires are both worn evenly so it’s not an alignment issue. (Plus the truck was just aligned when the diff was rebuilt). One thing I need to address is that in the post I said the wheel had no play, but I drove it just a little while ago and realized that it actually had about 5 degrees of play on each side of center. I’ll look at it some more and see if I find anything. Thanks for the help. 

I had almost 10 degree of play side to side until the steering box was adjusted. Now it's perfect. Turn the steering wheel, truck turns. No play.

7 hours ago, SG Lou said:

I had almost 10 degree of play side to side until the steering box was adjusted. Now it's perfect. Turn the steering wheel, truck turns. No play.

Yeah I checked it last night and I’m confident it’s the steering box. I’ll probably just replace it, but all the linkages are solid and they actually replaced both arms and the idle arm bracket, only the steering box is original. But I’ll have it replaced and that should stop the problem.

38 minutes ago, HunterC0827 said:

Yeah I checked it last night and I’m confident it’s the steering box. I’ll probably just replace it, but all the linkages are solid and they actually replaced both arms and the idle arm bracket, only the steering box is original. But I’ll have it replaced and that should stop the problem.

Out of curiosity, why not try adjusting it? I am going to try adjusting mine tonight to see if it helps mine. It is tight, but has a little play like SG lou said.

Edited by 75z28

On 10/15/2018 at 3:24 PM, HunterC0827 said:

Can you let me know if replacing the steering gear fixes your problem? My truck has 285/70/17 w/ bf A/T, you described the way my truck is driving to the T. I just replaced every component on the front end, and upgraded to bilstien 5100's. I have about 5 degrees of play in my steering wheel in both directions too. I had a friend turn the wheel while I look at the shaft and the joints look fine, the play is at the input of the steering gear. I also checked my newly installed sway bar links and the bulbs are shot somehow, I guess that's what happens when you buy cheap parts online, I'll be replacing those tomorrow but I really want to fix the slop, so I'm interested to hear how this plays out for you 

20181018_182329.jpg

Edited by 2006chevy4×4
Typo