Ticking/fluttering sound from driver's footwell - TSB #PIP5570

I found this after searching and reading countless posts about an alleged exhaust leak sound coming from the drivers footwell area upon acceleration.  I'm going to get under the hood and inspect my steering shaft seal/boot to see if it is not fully seated and hopefully can solve this issue.

Edited by lapoolboy

My '15 has been doing this since day 1, but it's not listed in the TSB.  I'd love to get this fixed.  It's annoying.

Mine only does it every so often and I’ve got a 15 Sierra. I’m printing this off and taking it to the dealer next week for the power steering assist recall and an oil change. Hopefully they can get it covered if found to be existent on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

This noise happened everyday, all the time. I brought this to the dealer, to no avail - it’s a 2018 Yukon Denali 6.2 with 2k miles and has done since 22 miles on the odometer

My seal appeared to be fully seated as well, however there was some play in the seal on the steering shaft. I ended up purchasing a new boot (p/n 25815601) and white lithium grease from Amazon ($35 total). I removed the 15mm bolt from the steering shaft, and removed the 3x 10mm nuts from the boot on the firewall, and removed. 

Looking at the old boot, it is different - looks like a different mold on the multi-layer rubber. I also noticed a fold on the rubber where it meets the firewall. 

I took the new boot and packed it with white lithium grease, perhaps not  necessary, but this noise is extremely annoying. I installed the new boot, catching all the extra grease that was pushed out. Made sure it was absolutely flat against the firewall (it was getting caught on the insulation - had to move it around to seat properly). Installed nuts, torquing down until the seal was pushing firmly on the firewall, and installed the 15mm bold in the steering shaft. 

No Noise!! It’s completely gone!! Worth every penny and the 30 min to change out. 

DAD8382C-1D1E-4F8F-817D-3E3B55F770B7.jpeg

9DD4C861-7937-4D45-ADD5-6EB15FE94803.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, abann22 said:

My 2018 had been doing this for the last 5 months. Sounded like an exhaust leak. Dealer replaced the firewall steering shaft boot and the truck is back to normal. 

Damn!  I need to go ahead and do this then!  It's the one thing about my truck that annoys the hell out of me!  Dealer said he couldn't hear it of course.  It is a very faint fluttering sound only heard on acceleration - sounds like a slight exhaust leak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up swapping mine out on Saturday as the “grease trick” was starting to wear off.  Three 10mm nuts on the firewall and one 15mm bolt on the shaft.  Push up to compress the shaft and disengage from the lower portion and slide the boot off by pushing the shaft (rotates freely) towards the engine (so the boot clears the brake booster) and reverse for the new one.  I packed the new one with GM superlube grease that it plastic and rubber safe.

I could have gone to the dealer and gotten covered under warranty but get satisfaction out of fixing things myself.....

On 2/11/2019 at 7:21 AM, hihosilverado said:

I ended up swapping mine out on Saturday as the “grease trick” was starting to wear off.  Three 10mm nuts on the firewall and one 15mm bolt on the shaft.  Push up to compress the shaft and disengage from the lower portion and slide the boot off by pushing the shaft (rotates freely) towards the engine (so the boot clears the brake booster) and reverse for the new one.  I packed the new one with GM superlube grease that it plastic and rubber safe.

I could have gone to the dealer and gotten covered under warranty but get satisfaction out of fixing things myself.....

Did it eliminate the noise?  Was there any noticeable defect of the boot when you removed it?

Hello All:

My 2018 Z71 is making a noise that sounds like what you all are describing.  It is intermittent and sounds like a fluttering (low frequency popping, etc.) sound coming from the drivers side.  It does not seem to be related to V4 mode as I have heard it when it was in V8 mode.  I have been looking around for a thread that may be what my truck is doing.  I printed the TSB and will be taking it to my dealership when I get my first oil change.  My truck has about 1400 miles on it.  Besides this occasional noise, the truck is awesome.

I also read a few other threads that said the vacuum pump can occasionally make a similar sound if it is failing.

Is there anyone with a 2018 experiencing these sounds?

Thanks,

-RCD