HP Tuners Unlocked TCM

On 10/17/2018 at 7:30 PM, M1ck3y said:

Where is the TCM installed? For some reason I think its right in the transmission somewhere?

I *think* it is but need to d a little more research. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to do black bear tuning(along with him tuning the trans) or just go with Diablew

1 hour ago, Crobinson16 said:

The 8l90 TCM is not in the trans, it on the fire wall, to the right of the master cylinder. 

Hard to remove? Is it as easy as pulling, installing the unlocked tcm and then throwing a tune in it.

19 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Hard to remove? Is it as easy as pulling, installing the unlocked tcm and then throwing a tune in it.

I can't comment as to what is easy for someone else to do. I haven't removed the TCM as I'm not tuning my 2018, however if you were not able to locate the TCM it may be a difficult job. 

Edited by Crobinson16

Nice new option. $400 for a new TCM versus $200 for the old unlock service.

$200 to unlock your existing T87A, but don't forget the cost of shipping it to them and the downtime of not being able to drive your truck.

The extra $200 might be worth it to some people.

Wish this option was available when I did mine!  I rode my motorcycles to get where I needed to go but if I needed my truck it wasn't available.   Nice option for a spare TCM as well

Edited by Denali_King

I need to shoot them an email to see if it comes pre-tuned or unlocked or what? The website says

"You can now purchase New GM T87A TCMs for your 2017+ GM vehicle equipped with the 10-Speed and 8-Speed transmissions directly from HP Tuners that are already unlocked and ready for tuning. Simply install your new HP Tuners TCM, and you are ready to tune with your MPVI / MPVI2 and VCM Suite.

Note this page is NOT the TCM Unlock Service, you are purchasing a NEW GM T87A TCM which is already unlocked and pre-programmed for use in your vehicle."

heres the response I got 

You can either:
A: Send us your TCM and we will unlock it and return it to you.
B: Purchase a spare TCM from us, provide your VIN number, and you will receive it unlocked and ready to go.

It can then be tuned using the HP Tuners MPVi2.

We offer custom tuning software (tools) that the professional tuner shop or hardcore enthusiast uses to create their own custom tunes.
While the MPVI2 (which comes with VCM Suite, VCM Editor and a programming cable) provides full tuning support for your vehicle, it does not include any base/canned tunes, nor can we provide any specific guidance when it comes to tuning.

You can, however, buy the MPVI2 and use it to collaborate with your favorite professional tuner--even if that tuner shop isn't local to you. 
If both you and the shop you are working with have an MPVI/MPVI2, they can serve you via email.

The MPVI2 gives you the flexibility to work with a professional tuner or tune the vehicle yourself--if you aspire to do so.
Furthermore, places like The Tuning School offer books and training if you are looking for specific guidance.

With that noted, the MPVI2 comes with everything you need, minus credits.
The device, cable and software (tuning software and scanning software) are $299.99

It will run on any reasonably modern Windows 10 machine. 
(4+ Gigs of RAM, small to mid sized laptop, Surface Pro, etc)

At the point of purchase or any time thereafter, you can add credits to cover the license fee for each VIN you tune, but you only consume credits (license fee) the first time you tune a new vehicle.
You can then tune that car for free after the initial credit consumption; you are not charged for making additional tuning revisions.

Most vehicles are 2 credits and credits are $49.99 each, though some vehicles are 4 credits, 6 credits, or 8 credits.
The complete list of applications and credits consumed for each is here: https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

This "pay as you go" is far better for the pro and for the casual tuner, as you do not have to come thousands of dollars out of pocket for tuning software..
If a shop does thousands of tunes, they will buy thousands of licenses. 
If you only need to tune 2 cars, you will only buy 2 licenses.
HP Tuners is infinitely scalable!

You can buy the MPVI 2 here: https://www.hptuners.com/product/mpvi2/

You can add credits during checkout or you can buy them after you receive the device by creating a login at www.HPTuners.com and adding your device under "My Devices".

Once the device is added to your profile, simply click "Add Credits".

Training:
HP Tuners focuses on developing the best custom tuning software possible.
Though we support the functionality of the tool, we do not teach tuning theory, nor do we create base or "startup" calibrations. 
However, there are many resources available to you if you'd like to learn how to tune.

First, there is the HP Tuners forum. Many shops and enthusiasts post their tuning experiences, exchange files and help each other out in the HP Tuners forum. 
This is a valuable, free resource that we hope you use!
You can register here: https://www.hptuners.com/forum/forum.php

We can not overstate the value of the HP Tuners forum. 
Many shops and enthusiasts are eager to help!

You can also attend The Tuning School.
The Tuning School offers books that teach you how to tune vehicles using HP Tuners, including color photos and discussion of tuning theory. 
Links to these and other resources are below. Thanks!

Free learning resources:
www.hptuners.com/forum
www.masterenginetuner.com 

Inexpensive Books:
www.thetuningschool.com
www.lasotaracing.com 
www.calibratedsuccess.com

Learn at home, in class or online:
www.thetuningschool.com
www.calibratedsuccess.com
www.EFIuniversity.com

PS: Also, please take the time to check out our knowledge base. 
This link contains a vast amount of information as it relates to using HP Tuners and we definitely recommend it for power users and newcomers alike: https://support.hptuners.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List

• 5 months later...

Bump to hear from anyone that has actually tuned their 2017+ 8-speed. Is the difference in performance worth the cost? I've heard a few people on another forum say that they don't change much when tuning a 2014+ 8-speed.

And please don't explain what it takes to unlock a 2017+ TCM. We already know that info and it's already in this thread.

I dont have an HP Tuners unlocked tcm but I did get my tcm tuned on my 17 6.2 8 speed. I was one of the lucky ones. Blackbear tuned a spare 2016 tcm that I had and it worked in my 2017 truck without causing any check engine lights. I couldn't be happier with the transmission now and how it shifts. I would definitely recommend getting the tcm unlocked and tuned if you can.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk