Bed not level with cab?

Is it common for one side of the truck bed to sit up higher than the other? After installing my tonneau cover on my 19’ I noticed the driver side of the bed near the cab sits up about 1/4” higher than the passenger side. You also can notice that it’s higher from looking at the side moldings of the truck where the cab and bed meet. 

I measured on a level surface with all tires set to 35psi with a full tank of gas. Haven’t towed or hauled any serious weight in the bed yet.  

Anybody know if this is within Chevy spec or if I should have the dealer look at it? 

Thanks,

Dan

I'd take that right back to the dealer and make them check the frame and bed mounts.

Yes, the bed and tailgate are not always perfect, but if its 1/4" off that would definitely bother me.

Is this truck brand new? I'd be looking for any evidence of prior work or collisions too.

4 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I'd take that right back to the dealer and make them check the frame and bed mounts.

Yes, the bed and tailgate are not always perfect, but if its 1/4" off that would definitely bother me.

Is this truck brand new? I'd be looking for any evidence of prior work or collisions too.

The truck is brand new. I noticed the 1/4” difference when I was aligning my tonneau cover. From looking from the rear of the tailgate towards the cab you can tell the driver side is higher than the passenger side. Thanks. 

I scheduled a appointment next week with my dealer to have them look at the truck to see if they have a solution to level the bed of the truck with the cab. Without looking at it the service manger seemed to think it’s within Chevy’s spec. He said it’s not that uncommon to see trucks off 3/4” - 1” in the front or rear. 

Is there any chance that the frame may be bent? I’m hopeful this wouldn’t be the case on a new truck. But find it odd that one side of the bed is higher than the other. I’m going to get more accurate measurements to see how much it’s off. 

I’ve seen that some guys have had Chevy install shims to fix the problem. Has anybody had this done? Would this disintegrate the strength of the truck at all? 

Thanks for all the help. I will update after I hear back from the dealer. 

Dan

1 hour ago, dphel27 said:

I’ve seen that some guys have had Chevy install shims to fix the problem. Has anybody had this done? Would this disintegrate the strength of the truck at all? 

Dan,

You should not have to "Shim" a 60K Brand new Truck ! :fume:

I am surprised that a GM representative has not chimed into this Topic yet to offer you assistance. :sigh:

22 hours ago, dphel27 said:

I scheduled a appointment next week with my dealer to have them look at the truck to see if they have a solution to level the bed of the truck with the cab. Without looking at it the service manger seemed to think it’s within Chevy’s spec. He said it’s not that uncommon to see trucks off 3/4” - 1” in the front or rear. 

Is there any chance that the frame may be bent? I’m hopeful this wouldn’t be the case on a new truck. But find it odd that one side of the bed is higher than the other. I’m going to get more accurate measurements to see how much it’s off. 

It will be interesting to hear the results after your precise measuring and the dealer looking at it.

It could be that you just have sensitive eyes and it really isn't that bad, or it could be even more out of whack than you estimated earlier. Keep us posted with what they say.

You would sure hope the frame is not bent.... Jeeze, I would not accept any part of the truck being 3/4" out of alignment.

• 10 months later...

I hate to revive an old thread but I too have this same issue. Looking at the bed where it is parallel to the rear window, it is noticeably higher on the driver side than the passenger. This is on a level surface and it is about 1/4" off as well. 

Did the OP ever get a resolution from the dealer?

My 2019 AT4 (picked up this week) is higher on the left.  Very noticeable in the side view mirror- the body line on the cab is about 3/8” or so lower than the line on the bed.

Also the bed isn’t centered- the right side leading edge sticks out and the left side is in.  Going back to the dealer soon to have them look at it.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, GearJonny said:

Did anyone ever get a solution for this?

Hello, unfortunately I did not. I ended up taking my truck to the dealer to have them look at it. The service manger that inspects all the vehicles as they enter the dealership said there could be a 3/4” difference and still meet gm spec.

I ended up trading my truck in for a 19’ Ram that measured perfectly. I had been brand loyal to gm for years and they really let me down with the 19’ Chevy. I understand no truck is going to be perfect and each will have its flaws but some things I feel you just need to get right. I also had other issues with my 19’ Chevy in which the dealer came back to say they were all within spec or they are working on fixing it. I ran out of patience and didn’t want to get stuck with a vehicle I didn’t enjoy. 

Hopeful you find a solution.