Ditching MRC options

So the test drive drove compared to my 8 yr old, 130k mile original suspension vehicle i traded in for a 2018 Suburban with MRC suspension. Now I have a couple thousand miles under my butt I hate the MRC ride quality. GM got it wring when they claim it to be " a much smoother ride". I can feel ever bump, crack, rock on the road. 

Has anyone removed the MRC and installed aftermarket suspension parts. If so what brand and level of smoothness did you achieve versus stock MRC setup

I had a 2015 Denali which was much worse. I now have a 2017 Denali Xl and on day one knew it was better. But over the first month my opinion was the Mag shocks were still too tight. I live in straight and flat Florida. The suspension does not get much of a work out. Well with more miles and bumps and a workout it has settled in a bit more. It is almost acceptable.  Most guys on these forums want off road or lifted suggestions which there are a lot of. I wanted comfort but not sloppy and never got a real world answer. My friends have both the old and new Raptors which has Fox shocks and springs. It has a bit more travel as it is lifted. That is a Cadillac ride, so comfortable. But if towing and always loaded up that may not work. I don't love the '17 mag ride but it is ok as of now. I would look into contacting Fox for suggestions on what your wanting. Good luck

2018 Burb Premier with MR and 22" wheels and factory Bridgestone tires. We're coming from standard suspension older BMWs that were considered the perfect blend of sport and luxury, so used to a fairly firm Euro suspension. There's definitely a bit more impact harshness from these massive 22's, but we've found the overall ride to be more than acceptable, and there's even a bit of "float". I think swapping out the factory Bridgestones for Michelins at some point will probably do the trick and make the truck about perfect for us, still at 22". I test drove a Burb with the standard suspension and it was waaaay too floaty. I have two motion sickness prone family members, and they definitely would have gotten sick in the standard suspension Burb. 

Which wheels and tires do you have? I know the tires make a huge difference. A 2017 Burb Premier I drove with 20" wheels was definitely smoother with less impact harshness, and didn't have any of the body resonance crap going on either that you tend to get more of with the 22's. Switching tires or going to a smaller wheel size with more tire sidewall might do the trick for you.

Switching 22"s for 20"s is a noticeable difference. I have 20"s with stock tires and the ride is pretty great, and that's in NJ where the roads are like Baghdad.

I also have a Subaru Outback and you definitely feel bumps a lot more in that, even with 17"s.

Edited by Mandalorian

• 2 weeks later...

Well after dealing with the service department the tech told me that he moved the angle of the rear MRC height sensor rod bracket "upward" tricking the computer to think it is above stock height releasing some air pressure on the rear air bags providing me a more bouncing/softer feeling ride.

The front sock was replaced as he said it felt more stiff than the other side. Now with a new shock the feeling of stiffness is drastically decreased but the feeling of oscillating bounce is still there. I still feel the MRC is way too sensitive. 

With this said service department also replaced two more tires which I still question although within spec could add to the issue to an already sensitive MRC setup

• 1 month later...

update: I allowed the front sensor arm to make a full swing with a smack on the downward swing against the control arm. For whatever reason the front suspension seems to feel like its working as designed (smoothing out minor road imperfections). The scary thing is that I could be riding the same road and at times it defaults back to the stiff oscillating bouncy feeling and moments later it can feel like its working again. 

On 11/8/2018 at 11:16 PM, seamus2154 said:

I had a 2015 Denali which was much worse. I now have a 2017 Denali Xl and on day one knew it was better. But over the first month my opinion was the Mag shocks were still too tight. I live in straight and flat Florida. The suspension does not get much of a work out. Well with more miles and bumps and a workout it has settled in a bit more. It is almost acceptable.  Most guys on these forums want off road or lifted suggestions which there are a lot of. I wanted comfort but not sloppy and never got a real world answer. My friends have both the old and new Raptors which has Fox shocks and springs. It has a bit more travel as it is lifted. That is a Cadillac ride, so comfortable. But if towing and always loaded up that may not work. I don't love the '17 mag ride but it is ok as of now. I would look into contacting Fox for suggestions on what your wanting. Good luck

Did you also switch to the 20" wheels from say 18"s?