BTR Cam 223/228, .604"/.604", 114 LSA

That cam should make great power, and with the 6l80e I don't think a torque converter will be necessary, it's a pretty mild cam for the 6.2.  What's your rear gear? 3.42?  The hardest thing about cam swapping a gen V engine versus previous years, is that you HAVE to drop the oil pan.  Other than that, it's really the same as installing a cam on any DOD/AFM GMT900 truck, meaning that the heads need to come off.  If you have E85 available in your area, now would be the time to swap to that too.

Good luck man, it will be a completely different animal when you're done.  I'm planning to do the same mods to my 17' in a few year, just a nice simple NA build of cam and headers.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 7:57 PM, 6.2_GMC_DEN said:

Once it is tore down I will share pics of what I suspect a scored cam lobe. Dealer replaced lifters and bent pushrod and said cam was fine at the time. I am sure it is toast now.

I am not changing this cam for huge HP gains but sure I will gain 50 and because of VVT they are able to maintain torque down low on this cam if tuned right. Also doing a cam swap is no big deal for me. 

I understand how you could feel the way you do. Thanks

You're not picking up 50 with that cam. Add ported heads, longtubes and a few other mods and maybe you get 50hp to the rear, but at that point you'll wish you'd put a blower on for less as the 5.3 guys with 7 psi will still be walking your 6.2 with ease.

• Like 1

You're not picking up 50 with that cam. Add ported heads, longtubes and a few other mods and maybe you get 50hp to the rear, but at that point you'll wish you'd put a blower on for less as the 5.3 guys with 7 psi will still be walking your 6.2 with ease.

The power gains surely would be superior with forced induction. The problem is the AFM/DOD hardware is still there.

The OP is concerned that his current cam is scored from his previous lifter failure. So, it seems that a cam is in his future regardless of power gains.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Harlech said:

I'm pretty sure I have a messed up cam lobe... I could care less about a 5.3 pulling away from me.

21 hours ago, pewterliftedz said:

That cam should make great power, and with the 6l80e I don't think a torque converter will be necessary, it's a pretty mild cam for the 6.2.  What's your rear gear? 3.42?  The hardest thing about cam swapping a gen V engine versus previous years, is that you HAVE to drop the oil pan.  Other than that, it's really the same as installing a cam on any DOD/AFM GMT900 truck, meaning that the heads need to come off.  If you have E85 available in your area, now would be the time to swap to that too.

Good luck man, it will be a completely different animal when you're done.  I'm planning to do the same mods to my 17' in a few year, just a nice simple NA build of cam and headers.

I have 3.42 gear. Will have cam, headers, HF Catted Midpipe, Magnaflow muffler, CAI, E85 sensor/tune.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Harlech said:

Not sure, not saying 50whp, bit's it not a 20fwhp gain either. There are quite a few camaro guys with cams and supporting mods putting out over 470whp. I know the Silverado is not the same platform as far as drivetrain weight and parasitic loss. With bone stock 6.2s dynoing between 310 and 340hp tells me there is A LOT of meat left on the bone with these trucks. I'm sure a 6.2 with that cam and the correct tuning and ex/intake mods would be capable of over 420whp. or more which would be over 500 fwhp. The gen V heads flow like 340 cfm stock. before ( awhile back, not now) it would take a large aftermarket ported LS casting to flow those kind of numbers.

Mods just need to be chosen wisely and work with the right people to tune.  To me a blower to take advantage of it's potential needs a lot more mods and money (fuel system to support real HP is not cheap) plus really need other items beefed up like torque  converter, cooling mods etc.. argue if you like but to make a strong reliable FI vehicle that did not come that way from the factory takes money. not just bolt on a blower. Of course the reward is bigger but to me not a straight across comparison when done right.

8 hours ago, kennerz said:

To me a blower to take advantage of it's potential needs a lot more mods and money (fuel system to support real HP is not cheap) plus really need other items beefed up like torque  converter, cooling mods etc.. argue if you like but to make a strong reliable FI vehicle that did not come that way from the factory takes money. not just bolt on a blower. Of course the reward is bigger but to me not a straight across comparison when done right.

I'm not arguing, you're giving an opinion and I'm stating facts. The guy has to replace the cam, it's an opportunity to upgrade, I say go for it, hell I've got a more aggressive one sitting in the shelf to go into my L83, it's one of the next logical steps as I need to be able to shove more air into my cylinders.

Butlet's not sit here pretend that a cam is the economical way of making horsepower on these platforms, it's never been more expensive to install a cam in a SBC so the value had taken a nose dive. On the other hand there are plenty of people making 500+ out the back with a blower that is completely safe and without any additional mods.

So I have a TSP Stage 3 Cam 222/230 635/635 on 112. If this is your daily it would probably be ok. Your lobe separation is wide which is better for daily.  You better have a good tuner though or you will hate your life. I installed everything on my truck. The oil pan and the cylinder head have to come off (unless you not ditching the dod/afm) and its not fun on a 2wd so if your 4wd (I don't know if you are) then its really not fun.

Get an ARP crank bolt and be ready to torque that to 235 ft. pounds. The cam bolt gets 48 ft. pounds plus 90 degrees. That ends up being about 148+ ftp, according to my Snap-On digital torque wrench. Use new head BOLTS, not studs. I have studs and I don't think I could get all of the studs out to remove a head if  needed. Mileage will suffer as well.

Its not that hard but its not exactly what I would call easy either. All and all throw a Whipple, long tubes and a tune at it and it will make 6oo+ and you can run the snot out of it all day long.

Cam and DOD delete are around 2k in  parts alone. Talk to Gary at TSP he will take care of you.

P.S. Says the guy with a cam in my description below. 

Edit., I thing the stock cam is cut on a 117 or 118 LSA so I doubt you would even hear the cam at 116 LSA.

Edited by Slapps74
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Harlech said:

I'm not arguing, you're giving an opinion and I'm stating facts. The guy has to replace the cam, it's an opportunity to upgrade, I say go for it, hell I've got a more aggressive one sitting in the shelf to go into my L83, it's one of the next logical steps as I need to be able to shove more air into my cylinders.

Butlet's not sit here pretend that a cam is the economical way of making horsepower on these platforms, it's never been more expensive to install a cam in a SBC so the value had taken a nose dive. On the other hand there are plenty of people making 500+ out the back with a blower that is completely safe and without any additional mods.

There is truth in this, but to me a blower making 500 whp on a 6.2 is kinda weak. I see how it would be more attractive on a 5.3 where gains are harder, and torque is not readily available.  My Opinion: on my L86 I would expect well over 600 whp if I threw on a blower & would do what it takes to reliably get there. To me realistically that is a 7~10k proposition -easily, maybe more if trans work is involved. Then comes all the down stream mods like dive shafts, diffs and other things. If you really want power, rods, low comp pistons, studs, and imagine how much hi flow D.I injectors are, plus the pump to feed them. All that is a lot more than $5k. a $2K cam swap sounds comparably cheap. after all that its still a truck that can't stop or turn (compared to sports cars/muscle cars).

Side note: needs to be a truck friendly cam - a high lobe separation is super important for drivability with a heavy, low stall speed vehicle. Kill the VVT on purpose and no wonder the low end is gone. Really it's great whatever anyone wants to do and is cool they share info with all of us.  More data the better.

I guess I'm crazy but would rather have a 17'+ ZL1 (on the wish list) than blow a truck. If I needed more torque I would get a diesel. If I wanted to be fast in a truck I would look at turbos( I believe vengeance racing has an insane L86 twin turbo Silverado- sooo fast). Can really appreciate a stout running N/A truck though. Cool that people aren't afraid to dig into their late model trucks.