2014 5.3 VVT Cam actuator

So I’ve been noticing this more and more lately, and am hoping to diagnose it myself before having to drop big bucks at the dealer (possibly).  

No matter if the truck is warm or cold-ish, if it downshifts to a gear that sends the RPMs anywhere around 3k or higher, I get what sounds like either a valve noise.   It happens if I apply throttle to do it, or if I kick down manually going down a hill to do manual engine braking.  

My thought is that the actuator that phases the cam is clogged up with sludge or something.  Truck has 92k on it.  Changed the oil with recommended dexos oil at recommended intervals.  

Anyone else seeing this?  Short of tearing the motor apart, or at least the front part, anything I can check?  I have an OBD2 scanner for my phone.  Have yet to plug it in.  

3 hours ago, Tahoe02 said:

There should be products on the market to help clean the engine like Seafoam or others before you start tearing it apart.

yeah, I'll try a bottle of seafoam during the next oil change, which is soon.  Used it before.  Thanks...

Well, added the proper ratio of Seafoam to oil per instructions.  Going to drive it for a while (few hundred miles) like they say then change the oil.  The percentage is at 20%, maybe 19% now....

I'll update on any progress / changes...

Update:   Drove the truck 200 miles and when I left the house in the morning, the noise was still there but lessened in length of time that I heard it.   Gave her a little romping to “clean things out “ after it was fully warmed up, and coming home, I tried the manual down shift coming down a hill.   The noise is gone.  Is there any harm in leaving the seafoam in until my oil change, or should I dump it now? Oil life is at 16% now....

8 hours ago, pronstar said:

The sea foam did its job.
If it loosened some crud...I wouldn’t want this crud circulating in my motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I’ll have a chance this Friday to change the oil.  Then a nice 50 mile highway trip to camp for the weekend.   

Is there any reason you didn’t take it to the dealer for diagnosis? If you have a 2014 then it has a 100k/5 year powertrain warranty. Perhaps you’re over 5 years?

Glad the Seafoam helped. I would definitely change your oil and not let it circulate too long.

There are little oil filter screens in multiple spots in the engine. One is behind your oil pressure sender next to and below the throttle body. Some theorize that debris in this screen eventually causes a decrease in oil flow enough to starve the lifters resulting in excessive wear and failure. That might be something you want to inspect to see it’s general condition.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 3:21 PM, SteveCZ said:

Appointment scheduled for Wednesday.  Under powertrain warranty.  Check back for updates 

Dealer states that it is the front pump on the transmission. Part is ordered and is covered under 100,000 mile warranty.  As a plus I have a super clean motor now too.  Thanks seafoam!  Lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...