Auto 4x4

Lino

Pulled a dumb dumb move... Went to the mountains and did a little off roading in my 2016 Z71 this past weekend.  Got side tracked with family and didn't switch my truck back to 2wd after coming down the mountain and drove it on the highway at 70, plus  for about 100 miles in auto 4x4. Piss cause I've always remembered to switch back and disappointed cuz its my first 4x4 truck and want it to last. Read a bunch of forms that say it shouldn't be an issue if you didn't do a lot of turns..to be honest I did cause I drove home. Looked underneath the truck switched it back and forth from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive and everything seems to be working. Should I be worried or is there anything I should be checking I appreciate any advice that you guys have?

• Haha 1

I don't think you damaged anything. From my understanding, Auto 4WD basically keeps it in 2wd unless it detects slippage, in which case it kicks it into 4wd. Owner's manual also says its good to use at any speed. If you would've had it in 4LO and driven at freeway speeds I'd be worried, but I really wouldn't worry about 4auto. Hope the offloading was fun! Glad to see people enjoying their trucks. I know your concern with wanting the truck to last too, I just picked up my first new truck in March and I hope to own it at least 10 years.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, swoleymammoth said:

I don't think you damaged anything. From my understanding, Auto 4WD basically keeps it in 2wd unless it detects slippage, in which case it kicks it into 4wd. Owner's manual also says its good to use at any speed. If you would've had it in 4LO and driven at freeway speeds I'd be worried, but I really wouldn't worry about 4auto. Hope the offloading was fun! Glad to see people enjoying their trucks. I know your concern with wanting the truck to last too, I just picked up my first new truck in March and I hope to own it at least 10 years.

Thanks brother for the info. And congrats on your new truck. 

I use to leave my truck in auto 4x4 for long periods of time when driving in slippery conditions. 200-500km at times at speeds up to 100km/h (60mph-ish).

Not that I need it most of the time. It's just to have the extra pulling power when needed. Especially in slippery conditions it's sometimes better to accelerate out of hairy situations rather than braking.

Truck is 5 years old with 155K on it. No drive train trouble whatsoever.

so long

j-ten-ner

I had two Suburbans for over 100k each and very rarely took them out of 4x4Auto. Kept Amsoil in both transfer and diffs and changed them at least every year. Oil never showed significant wear was happening, and truck drove great. Maybe I was lucky, maybe they are just designed to work right. I have no concerns about leaving my 2018 in Auto all the time either. It means the traction I paid for is there when I need it. 

I put mine in auto when the roads are slick from rain/snow. In Western PA that could be for days on end. The only time I move to 4 Lo is when the snow is packed and I cant see the pavement. From what I have read, 4 auto would even be good for that too, but I guess I'm a little too cautious living here now. Hey, I grew up in San Diego!

• Like 1

Just now, Cupton said:

I put mine in auto when the roads are slick from rain/snow. In Western PA that could be for days on end. The only time I move to 4 Lo is when the snow is packed and I cant see the pavement. From what I have read, 4 auto would even be good for that too, but I guess I'm a little too cautious living here now. Hey, I grew up in San Diego!

I only use 4 low when off road, or parking a trailer on sloped, slippery, or rough terrain.

The V8 has tons of torque for driving through snow.  I see no reason to use low range gears when driving on a snow covered road.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

I only use 4 low when off road, or parking a trailer on sloped, slippery, or rough terrain.

The V8 has tons of torque for driving through snow.  I see no reason to use low range gears when driving on a snow covered road.

Sorry, I meant 4 Hi, not Low. I have never actually used 4 Low!