My Gmc app unlock

Grjfer

On my 2015 GMC Sierra I had 5 years free of the unlock and remote start feature in the my GMC and OnStar app. According to OnStar as of May 2018 that has changed to three months only. Can anybody confirm?

It was a question I never thought to ask salesman as I took it for granted that I would have 5 years on my 18 too. What a slap to the face when the person going over truck features said its good for a month and upto 3 if you sign up for Onstar. GM can take their Onstar and stick it....

17 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I have remote start that works from the key fob on my 2012.

The newer trucks require On Star for remote start?

:)

he's only talking about using the myChevrolet or myGMC app to do remote start through your phone.

The key fob continues to be free forever as long as the battery works!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BB68 said:

It was a question I never thought to ask salesman as I took it for granted that I would have 5 years on my 18 too. What a slap to the face when the person going over truck features said its good for a month and upto 3 if you sign up for Onstar. GM can take their Onstar and stick it....

hopefully if all GM owners feel like you and I do, and no one pays for this service, they will make it free again. Or at least lower the price. I won't be paying any monthly fees for anything onstar offers, but the app is a nice thing to throw in with the $40,000 + trucks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I have no use for any of it.

:)

I have found it handy about 3 times. One of them which was at 2:30 in the morning and it didnt work because that is the time onstar shuts down for updates. That incident pissed off a group of drunk bachelor party-ers.  

I have used the app to unlock the truck more than to remote start it. Every so often I want to get inside when it is locked and my keys aren't in my pocket, but my phone is. Either way, its not used often enough to justify $15/ month.

I hope someone from onstar follows these forums.

Well bummer. I did like and use the remote start from the app often. I am at least a 5 minute walk from my work area to the parking lot, so it was handy. Not something I'd pay extra for though. 

6 minutes ago, ammoaddict said:

I just bought a new 2018 Sierra a couple weeks ago. I think the OnStar expires on Dec 10. Is that 14.99 a month for all of the OnStar features or just the remote app?

The "Remote Access" plan is $14.99 / month. That is basically just for use of the app. If you want anything else from onstar, those plans cost more, but also include the app.

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing/compare-plans/

Edited by aseibel