2019 New Model Year Issues

If you do any reading on line most people recommend not buying a new model year because bugs are still being worked out. Since GM kept most of the power train in tact and didn’t go overboard on the new interior like ram should the 2019’s have less issues? I would really like to pick up a 19 Trailboss LT but I’m going to keep this truck for at least 6 years. 

What are the thoughts on here? Do you guys put any stock in new model years having more issues or does GM have their R&D figured out better than other manufacturers? 

There might be some truth to the first year production Bug theories. The truck has been out for a few months and some problems have been noted. But if you decide to buy, ensure you have a good salesperson along with a good dealership. Purchase a extended warranty either from Chevrolet or some third party. If something does go south you are at least covered. I have 2400 miles on my High Country and the only problems I have had were with the Apps software on the Infotainment Center and some pre delivery inspection items that the dealership fixed under warranty. The truck by Ram is a beautiful vehicle, but their interior experienced a major upgrade which I  think will lead to more electronic and mechanical problems. I like the tech on the Ram but the interior becomes busy and crowded. The GM interior is simple but stills looks good. Give it a few months and see how the problems reported sort out. Maybe by then, rebates will be offered also.

Edited by Rocz3cqg

Thanks for the experience with yours. I’ve already noticed a couple back glass leaking threads which is kind of where I started looking into it more. 

I’d really like to pickup the 19 Silverado. The F150 is my second choice simply based on price and the fact that they seem to have fewer reported issues compared to dodge. I’ll keep checking in to see what issues pop up. Hopefully GM has the first year quirks down to a minimum and I will pick one up this spring. 

I’m currently deployed and sold my vehicle so I can’t wait for the 2020’s. I’ll have to buy a truck in May no matter what 

4 hours ago, towdog333 said:

I have a new Trail Boss and so far no issues other than the fuel mileage sux , I bought a 2014 when the new model came out and just traded it in and that truck was totally worry free.

I've never been too afraid of 1st year models. Bought a 1999 GMC SIerra, then bought a 2014 Silverado in July of 2013. Once I had to get a more capable truck, I got a 2015 Silverado 2500HD and now have a 2017 F250 Platinum. Minimal problems/programming updates to the 1999, 2014 and 2015. None so far on the 2017. I think it's the luck of the draw in most cases. These things are tested so much now that it's more than likely an electronic issue/malfunction versus anything major breaking. Still inconvenient, though.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies so far. I remember when the 2019 Trailboss was first unveiled at the Texas motor speedway. I’ve been researching the Trailboss ever since. 

Some websites indicated that the first model year issues were more prevelant in the earlier years but now auto makers are doing so much testing that its almost a non issue. I’ve also read a report (not sure what site) that over the life of the vehicle 1st model years report no more or fewer problems than other model years in that platform. 

I’m curious to see if the leaking rear glass becomes an issue or if it’s soemthing they get fixed in production quickly. 

2 hours ago, electron_si said:

Thanks for all the replies so far. I remember when the 2019 Trailboss was first unveiled at the Texas motor speedway. I’ve been researching the Trailboss ever since. 

Some websites indicated that the first model year issues were more prevelant in the earlier years but now auto makers are doing so much testing that its almost a non issue. I’ve also read a report (not sure what site) that over the life of the vehicle 1st model years report no more or fewer problems than other model years in that platform. 

I’m curious to see if the leaking rear glass becomes an issue or if it’s soemthing they get fixed in production quickly. 

I have a Trail Boss with around 5500 miles on it already and no major issues.  The only issue I had was the bluetooth disconnecting randomly but they fixed that with the latest software update last week.  I love the car and it drives great.  Feel free to ask any other questions.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:22 PM, z1boss said:

I have a Trail Boss with around 5500 miles on it already and no major issues.  The only issue I had was the bluetooth disconnecting randomly but they fixed that with the latest software update last week.  I love the car and it drives great.  Feel free to ask any other questions.

What MPG are you averaging?

I was skeptical about the first year new model bugs but I had my AT4 put 100 miles on it and check engine light came on. The master cylinder for brakes was bad. Dealer had to replace it already.  Then the dash digital instrument cluster was completely blacking out while driving. They reprogram it. But now the GMC symbol is flickering when the vehicle is first started. Also my passenger headlight is  a bit lipped out compared to the other side which looks perfectly aligned. I may be a bit picky but when you sell a truck for $57K plus you expect your customer to expect greatness right? I mean they say  “professional grade” so shouldn’t the fit and finish and master cylinder withstand the first 500 miles of driving? Just my personal experience with the 2019 AT4 so far. 

28 minutes ago, AT4guy said:

I was skeptical about the first year new model bugs but I had my AT4 put 100 miles on it and check engine light came on. The master cylinder for brakes was bad. Dealer had to replace it already.  Then the dash digital instrument cluster was completely blacking out while driving. They reprogram it. But now the GMC symbol is flickering when the vehicle is first started. Also my passenger headlight is  a bit lipped out compared to the other side which looks perfectly aligned. I may be a bit picky but when you sell a truck for $57K plus you expect your customer to expect greatness right? I mean they say  “professional grade” so shouldn’t the fit and finish and master cylinder withstand the first 500 miles of driving? Just my personal experience with the 2019 AT4 so far. 

Was your message “check brake assist.” I just dropped my truck off at the dealer and hour an a half ago. According to service writer, he hasn’t seen that in the 2019s yet.

Yes mine said “service brake assist”. The dealer said my master cylinder was failing so they ordered the part had it in the next day. So far it’s been good.  I’ve seen and read a lot of other posts about this.SEEMS TO be an issue with a lot of AT4 trucks. Not leaving us with a very good taste in our mouths but once we sign the papers they’ve got us... until I trade it in for a FORD lmao. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AT4guy said:

Yes mine said “service brake assist”. The dealer said my master cylinder was failing so they ordered the part had it in the next day. So far it’s been good.  I’ve seen and read a lot of other posts about this.SEEMS TO be an issue with a lot of AT4 trucks. Not leaving us with a very good taste in our mouths but once we sign the papers they’ve got us... until I trade it in for a FORD lmao. 

I almost bought a F250!!!! But being the GMC fan boy that I’ve always been I went AT4. I really hope it isn’t a sign of things to come with issues. I haven’t even gone through a full tank of gas and it’s in the shop for repairs. 

Edited by CaliDenali