2018 SLT Intermittent remote start issue

Back in July, I traded in my 14 Silverado for an 18 SLT premium plus.  Been more than happy with the upgrade.

Since it's cold, I've been using the remote start when needed.  Noticed the issue a while back when I tried using the fob walking to my truck after work.  Lights flashed and nothing.  I dismissed it at that time.  Worked via fob or app for a while and then it didn't again.  So I took it to the dealer.  They couldn't replicate it but did do an update that addressed the crank position sensor.

A week or so of starts remotely worked, then it didn't again.  Most recent failure was this morning.  If it fails via the app it gives error 220_99.  If I try again with the app it is 220_12.  The 220_12 (I think) is the same you get if you remote started twice and tried a 3rd time without using the key.

One recent failure via the fob (after the dealer), I was in my garage and I heard it.  It sounded like you just bumped the ignition.  This will be new info when I go back to the dealer, but I'm wondering if someone else had this issue? 

Screenshot_20181209-073147.jpg

Screenshot_20181209-073156.jpg

Edited by RPOD71

1 hour ago, RPOD71 said:

Back in July, I traded in my 14 Silverado for an 18 SLT premium plus.  Been more than happy with the upgrade.

Since it's cold, I've been using the remote start when needed.  Noticed the issue a while back when I tried using the fob walking to my truck after work.  Lights flashed and nothing.  I dismissed it at that time.  Worked via fob or app for a while and then it didn't again.  So I took it to the dealer.  They couldn't replicate it but did do an update that addressed the crank position sensor.

A week or so of starts remotely worked, then it didn't again.  Most recent failure was this morning.  If it fails via the app it gives error 220_99.  If I try again with the app it is 220_12.  The 220_12 (I think) is the same you get if you remote started twice and tried a 3rd time without using the key.

One recent failure via the fob (after the dealer), I was in my garage and I heard it.  It sounded like you just bumped the ignition.  This will be new info when I go back to the dealer, but I'm wondering if someone else had this issue? 

Screenshot_20181209-073147.jpg

Screenshot_20181209-073156.jpg

I would think you are throwing a code. Remote start will not work, when there is something not right. That is how I found out the CEL would be on in my 16, no remote start, and the CEL would be on shortly.

No CEL, no code.  The dealer plugged into OBD upon arrival and me explaining the problem.  Said no code for anything.

When I scheduled the appt, I asked if a failure to start remotely would leave a code, they said only if the CEL is on.

3 hours ago, RPOD71 said:

No CEL, no code.  The dealer plugged into OBD upon arrival and me explaining the problem.  Said no code for anything.

When I scheduled the appt, I asked if a failure to start remotely would leave a code, they said only if the CEL is on.

Lies all dirty lies. There is always a history log that will pull with codes. I still have temp, history, permanent, and even status codes. In fact I had two pages of them with NO sel  light on dash. Mine are everything from a unplugged sensor to fuses blown/removed, fuel trims, baro, map,cats/o2s, speakers and sensor voltage out of range.  

First I would load test the battery. It is usually free then I would sit in car and remote start it. Then I would go threw the sensors that stop remote starting. Like hood switch. 

I've read that elsewhere on here that it will store the info without cel.  How do you tell the service advisors that you know it does when they and the mechanic tell you otherwise, and they are the "experts"?

I seem to remember an old thread on here, I think it was that you have to manually start it every nth time (not sure what number n equals). As in, you can't remote app start it a bunch of times in a row without a few manual ignition cycles. Was some software limitation they implemented.  This might be different, as I thought the key fob counted as a manual start, but something to consider. 

Edited by neokonig

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 9:19 AM, neokonig said:

So I took it in and again..  nothing.  I left it overnight so it sits for 12+ hours, in the cold, like it does for me at home or at work.

They said they can't fix something they can't replicate, started numerous times for them.   No codes, no history (because no CEL).

Frustrating.  

Going to pick it up and ask to see what was done other than starting it remotely.  Would like to see my battery listed as something checked as well as whatever switches would keep it from starting.

They claimed the load tested the battery and checked all components related to the remote start.  I don't believe they did.  The invoice just stated they hooked up the tech2 and tried to recreate the problem, found no codes, etc.  I would think it would have the other stuff listed to keep from chasing their tails for the next time I brought it in.

I'll check the battery myself, but if it happens again, I'm going to a different dealer.  They claim my OnStar error codes are "probably" from a bad signal from the satellite.  They can't even give me an exact reason for the codes.

• 2 months later...

Bump

Having same issue, only 300 miles on truck and a week old (bought new last week, 2018 left over).
Does it randomly with remote start (witnessed it walking towards the truck) and when using the key.

Anyone find a solution?

• 5 months later...

My 2018 GMC DENALI 

intermittently starts via the remote using my key fob.  If I start it via my key in the ignition and then immediately try to remote start it soon after it starts once or twice and then nothing other than my lights blink once.  It seems like this issue began right after I had opened my hood to check fluid levels.  The hood is shut completely and I have no codes or service indicator.  Also it's not in the valet mode.  I call my dealer and they said they never heard of this happening.