Bye-bye "sport bar"

I recently traded in my 2015 1500 Silverado Z71 4x4 CC for a 2019 2500 Sierra All Terrain 4x4 CC w/ DMAX. After looking at every option and combination GM offers with the Silverado 2500 and the Sierra 2500, this is what we ended up with. Makes zero sense that to get a trailing prep you have to get chrome mirror caps and door handle covers, but whatever. I'm not usually one to buy appearance packages anyway, but this one came with a lot of premium items to include the Z71 package.

The "sport bar"....yeah. When sitting in the dealership talking with the young lady sales associate, I asked her if she remembered when "sport bars" we're cool in the 90's? She kinda just looked at me. Turns out she is 19. So, I'm going to guess that this is a cool thing these days.

Anyway, told her if she wanted to close the deal the dealership had to take back the "sport bar" and give me a toolbox. She agreed, so here we are. Would you believe that thing is an $800 option!?56d801c14febf81155f0c1c60beeab35.jpgff7a02292cb7c8284cd22b96afaf01c7.jpg1366ddf644088794e4b13c6846cfe70d.jpgc06ce9c62080a059d58f4eb52c4e9728.jpg0929c3388f03c0fae7803df3c5248be2.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

The sport bar is a great way to make items in your bed harder to access, and generally get in your way, while providing no benefit. I can’t believe you would not want that. LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The sport bar is a great way to make items in your bed harder to access, and generally get in your way, while providing no benefit. I can’t believe you would not want that. LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I took it back to the dealership, I asked the parts kid if people actually order these things? He said, "all the time! Can't believe you don't want it." I laughed, the truck has the 5th wheel prep in the bed, which will be used.

I didn't even know the HD's could be optioned with one.  I think they look ok on a black truck any other color they look very out of place.  I also think they need the longer bed to really fit in.  Blind spot it creates is pretty brutal though.  Hope they hooked your 3rd brake light back up since its disabled on trucks that came with the bar from the factory.

Great place for a couple spot lights though.  

Bravo! Those bars are stupid.  Dealers put too much emphasis on how things look and could care less about the needed functionality of the truck... and yes I understand that most people like gizmo's and doodads and that's what sells lots of vehicles. But if you are buying a 2500, it is because you need something with functionality for towing or working or something of the such.

• Like 1

I didn't even know the HD's could be optioned with one.  I think they look ok on a black truck any other color they look very out of place.  I also think they need the longer bed to really fit in.  Blind spot it creates is pretty brutal though.  Hope they hooked your 3rd brake light back up since its disabled on trucks that came with the bar from the factory.

Great place for a couple spot lights though.  
I had to crawl under the truck and Chase the 3rd brake light wire down.

I have this identical truck, but 2018. I love it. I'm usually a fairly pragmatic guy, but I kept the sports bar on my truck despite it being not very practical. However, I am trying to think of a way to use that bar as a headache rack for kayaks or a canoe.
Certainly can be done. On my half ton I bought a trac rac and cut 3" out of it to sit just above the cab, thus to not look full contractor all the time.

Hhhmmmm.... I love the look, I went out of my way to find a used one to install. 7185334ca15369e37f5175cc135b67a3.jpgb291ca71775847549b1c3237de5b5f2b.jpg

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

Rocnrol- don't get me wrong, when the bar was on, the truck was getting all kinds of looks [emoji108]. But, we plan to pull a 5th wheel with it, and a crew cab short bed needs all the room we can get.

Love the stance of your truck BTW!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Your bar blends with the truck and looks like an extension of the cab, it looks good but the black on white sticks out like a sore thumb.  Like said the darker color body works, remember the chrome "roll" bars from the 80s....same problem, just a rusty 3 piece eye sore.  This does look good on your truck, I'm a cap guy as long as it's cab high and looks like an extension of the truck.

IMG_0613.JPG

You have the AllTerrain X package with the sport bar and Duratrac tires. I have a 2018 without the “X” crap. I agree with the sport bar looking ridiculous; I don’t see what purpose it serves, but that’s simply one more opinion. I’m not sure why you’d have to have chrome mirror caps and door handles to get a trailering prep package or what that package even consists of; mine doesn’t have those. 

Edited by Icutmetl