2007-2013 Silverado & Sierra with the 5.3... What's y'all experience with these trucks?

greetings everyone, as the title says I'm wondering y'all experiences with this generations. I've done a lot of research on it but the reviews are really hit or miss. I wanna read more input on it. Have you guys had bad or good experience with these trucks in general? 

Edited by marcblouin

I have had both results. Mine is an 08 with 150k on the clock and very few issues. I have not had any major issues and only a few small things such as power window motors and standard oil changes.

My buddy has the same truck but had issues with the Active Fuel Management and we had to install aftermarket Cam.

The 07-13 had a change in transmission. Early had a 4 speed and later the offered the 6 and I believe the 8 speed. I'll check on that info. I have the 4 speed and it's works well.

Truck was a farm truck for the first 10 years of its life and got pretty beat up and held up good.

I had a 2010 Sierra CC and experienced a failed lifter at about 120000 miles.  Replaced all lifters, cam, valley plate, etc, with NON-AFM parts and truck ran better than ever and gained 1-2 mpg

Hit and miss with the AFM...some people have no issues with the AFM, while others experience the failed lifters, wiped out cam, etc

Cracked dashes at the corners of the passenger side air bag and the hump over the steering wheel (pretty much a matter of when it will crack and not if it will crack with all trucks and SUVs in this generation of vehicles)

• Like 1

Things to watch out for, to include but by no means limited to, and in no particular order:

• Many AFM problems, leading to severe oil usage, failed lifters, ruined cams, plugged catalytic converters, etc.  
  • Turning off AFM has no discernible effect on fuel mileage
  • Aftermarket exhaust sounds terrible with AFM
  • PCV tube flooding the intake with oil
  • faulty oil pressure due to plugged oil screen at back of intake
  • front wheel hubs
  • brakes
  • premature rust on frame and other areas
  • 6-speed transmission shifting 
  • black cloth interior complaints
  • continued driveshaft 'bump-stop' issue
  • power mirror failure
  • door lock actuators
  • auto HVAC mixture door actuators
  • engine revs lurching against brake at stop
  • bad Throttle Position Sensors
  • GM never fully recalled all Takata airbags
Edited by MaverickZ71

My '09 was initially a severe oil consumer.  The first 50K miles was a bad experience but after several, progressively more involved warranty visits they got it right.  I had an additional 100k worry free miles.  If you're considering a used truck, I'd search for a 14+.  This newer generation of trucks are more powerful and noticeably easier on gas.

My 2012 Sierra 5.3 6 speed bought used with 41 k miles in 11/15 has been good so far. Now at 64 + k miles.

I have replaced all fluids, new spark plugs.

A few minor glitches.

Lost communication with transmission.

Still ran fine.

Pulled battery negative cable to reset.

Easy fix, pulled trans connectors apart and cleaned.

Ran rough on a cold start.

Sea Foam fixed it.

Bad tank of gas IMO.

Catch can 300 miles ago.

:)

I got a 99 gmc 1500 4x4 I love it bought it with 148k now it has 159k good on gas better then my 95 2500 only thing I had to replace was brake lines, water pump, alternator leaks a little oil right now I'm having a problem with coolant leaking haven't found the leak yet

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, James Elliott said:

I got a 99 gmc 1500 4x4 I love it bought it with 148k now it has 159k good on gas better then my 95 2500 only thing I had to replace was brake lines, water pump, alternator leaks a little oil right now I'm having a problem with coolant leaking haven't found the leak yet

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Say what?!

12 hours ago, marcblouin said:

greetings everyone, as the title says I'm wondering y'all experiences with this generations. I've done a lot of research on it but the reviews are really hit or miss. I wanna read more input on it. Have you guys had bad or good experience with these trucks in general? 

In 2011 the AFM components were updated which resulted in a much more reliable engine.

In 2009 the 6-speed transmission was added as was Bluetooth.  In 2010 the engines got VVT and USB ports were added.

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

In 2011 the AFM components were updated which resulted in a much more reliable engine.

In 2009 the 6-speed transmission was added as was Bluetooth.  In 2010 the engines got VVT and USB ports were added.

thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!

So I should stay away from it if it's not a 2011-2013? 

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

I own two GMT900 trucks.  Neither has the 5.3 nor AFM.  That was on purpose.

GM can take its AFM engines and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  I'll never own one.  I'll buy other brands before I buy an AFM truck.  And I don't subscribe to the "improvement" for 2011.  It's still an inherently flawed design.

Edited by intheburbs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, marcblouin said:

So I should stay away from it if it's not a 2011-2013? 

Not necessarily.  Most run forever and we never hear about them on these forums.  Then again, a lot of them get AFM repaired at 100-120K or so and keep on truckin'.

Most of us turn off AFM and when problems arise, remove it completely.

The early 6.2s (L92 and L9H) do not have AFM and if you really want a bullet proof motor, get a 2500 with the LY6 or L96 (FlexFuel).