DROVE A 2018 SILVERADO 5.3L NO TICKING NOISE

Hey guys im new to this forum....I own a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3l and it has the "Normal" ticking noise from the engine. It has 45,000 miles. I got to drive my brother in law 2018 Chevy 1500 5.3l and it has no ticking noise. Did they fix this issue on the newer trucks? I also notice it is peppier than my truck / more responsive to accelerator pedal.

It seems to be hit or miss with these engines. I'm going to bring mine into dealer to see what they say. I also have a chirp from the exhaust valve. Not sure if they will do anything under warranty for it.

1 hour ago, BINFORD said:

I also notice it is peppier than my truck / more responsive to accelerator pedal.

GM did update the pedal assembly on these trucks. I’m not convinced it’s not the placebo effect on the ones that guys switched out but that’s me. Also are your trucks the same 6 speed vs 6 speed 3.42 gear vs 3.42 gear ect? could just be gearing.

Updated pedal assembly thread 

As far as the tick seems some get louder/show up after some miles. My 015 was this way had 3k miles on it before I noticed it. Trust me I would have if it had been there. So give your brother-in-law some time you might still get the “wtf is this noise call” from him someday or maybe not...

50 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

GM did update the pedal assembly on these trucks. I’m not convinced it’s not the placebo effect on the ones that guys switched out but that’s me. Also are your trucks the same 6 speed vs 6 speed 3.42 gear vs 3.42 gear ect? could just be gearing.

Updated pedal assembly thread 

As far as the tick seems some get louder/show up after some miles. My 015 was this way had 3k miles on it before I noticed it. Trust me I would have if it had been there. So give your brother-in-law some time you might still get the “wtf is this noise call” from him someday or maybe not...

What change did they make to the accelerator assembly?  

12 hours ago, BINFORD said:

What change did they make to the accelerator assembly?  

If you read though that thread it sounds like some guys believe the newer assembly takes some of the lag (when you push the pedal and the truck don’t go anywhere till it’s pressed 1/3 of the way down) out of the assembly by +/- resistance to the internal electronics of the assembly. The new part number supersedes the old one so GM changed something with it for sure. There is two different numbers one for 6speed one for 8speed. 6speed pedal is 53 bucks bolts right in.

Also if you haven’t done the paint stick pedal flex mod might want to check out that thread some guys claim that helps a lot also. There’s a video of the assembly flex somewhere it’s crazy IMO how much it flexes.

paint stick mod thread

3 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

If you read though that thread it sounds like some guys believe the newer assembly takes some of the lag (when you push the pedal and the truck don’t go anywhere till it’s pressed 1/3 of the way down) out of the assembly by +/- resistance to the internal electronics of the assembly. The new part number supersedes the old one so GM changed something with it for sure. There is two different numbers one for 6speed one for 8speed. 6speed pedal is 53 bucks bolts right in.

Also if you haven’t done the paint stick pedal flex mod might want to check out that thread some guys claim that helps a lot also. There’s a video of the assembly flex somewhere it’s crazy IMO how much it flexes.

paint stick mod thread

Thanks for all the info on this subject. It will come in handy guys.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:22 PM, BINFORD said:

Thanks for all the info on this subject. It will come in handy guys.

I did change out the accelerator pedal today to the new updated one and noticed a difference.  The truck responds better and accelerates better. Doing this and the shim under the assembly made big difference.