Silverado Rough Ride

.02 Took the truck on a fun drive yesterday and was really impressed with the ride and handling. A few dayus ago at the dealer I test drove a used '16Z71 like my old trade on the same strip of concrete highway where I felt the bouncy roughness of my new '19 and then compared it with my '19 with mileage. The '19 rode similar and handled better than the '16 and I not longer experienced the drastic difference in the rides or the same bounce and roughness of the road I experienced on the first day..

I'm not sure if it was the road force balance, increased flex in the sidewalls, the 3K miles of breaking-in the suspension with carrying cargo and trailering, or a combination of all three......but the ride is much smoother, calmer and more fun to drive that when I first purchased it. Appears some of the stiffness has to be worked out of the '19s before the ride improves

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I just purchased a 2020 Silverado LT with the Max Trailering package. Let me start by saying I never owned a truck. I am 55 and have only owned 4 door sedans. My son does have a Sierra High Country 9Z71 I think) and it does not seem to ride as rough as my truck.

My question is about the max trailering package. I believe the rear springs on this package are stiffer than the "normal" LT edition with out that package.

Max Trailering Package12 features a 9.76-inch rear axle, 3.42 axle ratio, enhanced-cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier-duty rear leaf springs, a 220-amp alternator and trailer brake controller

Maybes this why some people claim their Silverado rides good and some say it is too tight. To be honest, I hate driving this truck but again, this is my first truck and there are some bad roads near my home. I am not sure if it would be worth the effort to replace the springs and shocks? I was hoping somebody has driven both versions.

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2019 at 10:24 PM, PDYoung said:

No i didn't notice the shitty ride on my brief test drive. I was just thinking since this was an all new  designed truck, it would ride really nice. It's not just the Z71 optioned truck with it's Z71 Rancho Mono tube suspension that is  the problem ?  Do all trim levels of this new silverado ride like this ? I was thinking about replacing all the shocks with Denali shocks or a non Z71  GM double tube shock for now, at the dealers cost, until the aftermarket comes out with something. The dealership is hounding me on filling out their survey. If i don't get a smooth, non bouncy riding truck, the dealership and GM are going to get blasted on their survey.My truck is at the dealer now having a dent removed that i didn't see until i got it home and the paint on the hood cleared of some spotty fallout. They gave me a 2019 LD Silverado that is smooth as silk and doesn't bounce. This truck is the out going design. Does anyones steering wheel shake like crazy going over bumps in the road in their new T1 trucks. I can feel every bump through the steering wheel, very bad on bumpy roads. Same road with loaner truck, steering wheel feels great. WTF is going on ? 

I have a 2019 HC Z71 and the ride on my truck it terrible. I feel every little bump and my steering wheel vibrates every time I hit a bump in the road, and when I took it to the dealership they told me thats just how the new trucks drive. I traded a 2017 LTZ silverado for my 19 HC and it drove so much better them my new truck in every way possible. I drove my truck yesterday over a dip in the road and i was going around 40mph and my front end bounced so hard my head hit the roof of my truck. I dropped it off at the dealership this morning and they are replacing all 4 shocks to see if that helps, if not im selling it when I get it back for a new F150 that drive way better then my truck as well.

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, JimTX said:

I’ve said this in a previous post but my ram also could tow more than my RST. I think ram can do 99 percent of what people use a half ton truck for. The “it’s a truck it’s supposed to ride rough” argument can be solved by looking at rams tow and payload numbers and riding in one of their trucks. Even the old generation. The new ones even better. 

Ram 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, JimTX said:

I’ve said this in a previous post but my ram also could tow more than my RST. I think ram can do 99 percent of what people use a half ton truck for. The “it’s a truck it’s supposed to ride rough” argument can be solved by looking at rams tow and payload numbers and riding in one of their trucks. Even the old generation. The new ones even better. 

Ram Trucks tow better??? Lol...I have to laugh at that statement

Ram gas motor trucks are the absolute worst trucks towing period. They wobble all over the road, the gas mileage is god awful and they squat terribly low unless you have air ride. The Ram is a pretty truck and rides smooth, but when it comes to being a real truck it just falls way short. My 12 5.3 with 3.42 gears  that I traded for 19 Ram hemi with 3.55 gears got better mpg, towed straighter and more confident than the Ram. Surely the Ram and more peak power but it still down shifted and snarled with my 7800 pound travel trailer, the horrible part is it was all over the road and no matter what I did 6 to 7 mpg all the time. The 12 silverado got close to 9 even working at higher ram. Drove flat beds when I was younger also, delivering hot tubs and Rams were always last ones anyone grabbed, nobody wanted the hassle of them. Got 21 3l duramax now and that baby is a beast. I added a ag tunner and I tow 1600rpm 72 mph in 10th gear with 7800 trailer.