Used Rental-GMC Yukon XL SLT

Good afternoon everyone...I have been a Chevy truck guy for quite some time now, but thinking about dipping my toe in the Suburban/Yukon XL world for my wife...If you would have asked me a years ago if I would ever knowingly buy a rental, I would have asked if you were crazy!

However, times change and technology changes and here we are...I have come across a ton of 2017 and some 2018 models what I would consider very good priced ($36-$43k range), reasonable miles (35-45k mls) 4wd SLT models...most, if not all have been previous fleet/rental vehicles...In trying to self justify, I think...well this isn't a mustang rental...how bad do people abuse rental large SUV's?  Would it be any worse than buying any other used vehicle?  

Any personal experience and or advice would be appreciated...

Edited by spenpet
additional info

Brother in law bought a 2 year old 1988 Grand Prix from Enterprise rental.

Still drives it daily with I think 170K miles on it.

It has required parts but was good for quite a few years.

All used vehicle purchases are a roll of the dice IMO.

With that being said I always buy used and have never got a bad one.

I do a through inspection and test drive including having the vehicle put on lift or crawling around to do an under- carriage inspection.

:)

• Like 1

If it’s a choice between a x rental or a CPO I’d go CPO. I would say 99 percent of the time an previous owned vehicle would be treated better than a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

If it’s a choice between a x rental or a CPO I’d go CPO. 

I would love to get a CPO, haven't seen many available...having said that, do you happen to know what warranty is offered with a GMC CPO?  I know Toyota CPO warranty is actually better than factory!  *(we currently have a 4Runner that has been fantastic, but would like more room)*

I would love to get a CPO, haven't seen many available...having said that, do you happen to know what warranty is offered with a GMC CPO?  I know Toyota CPO warranty is actually better than factory!  *(we currently have a 4Runner that has been fantastic, but would like more room)*

In Texas, where I live Tahoe’s- suburbans are a dime a dozen. Warranty’s vary. A few a my wife’s vehicles over the years have been CPOs, the warranty usually are better than new.

Do a Google search for GM CPO and it will show the inspection required which is quite extensive, items addressed and as an example two remotes will be provided when a lot of trades only come with one and so on. The warranty is an extra 12 months/12,000 mile factory warranty, free oil change if still offered, and a true GM extended warranty if you decide to go that route is less expensive on a CPO.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 4:50 PM, Tahoe02 said:

Do a Google search for GM CPO and it will show the inspection required which is quite extensive, items addressed and as an example two remotes will be provided when a lot of trades only come with one and so on. The warranty is an extra 12 months/12,000 mile factory warranty, free oil change if still offered, and a true GM extended warranty if you decide to go that route is less expensive on a CPO.

thank you for the info!

My 2016 Suburban LT was an Enterprise rental. Bought it in February of 2017 with just over 40k miles and currently have 83k and counting. I'm very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I did and would recommend to buy within the powertrain warranty, that was comforting knowing I had another 20k in case the engine/trans was mysteriously abused and let go quick after purchase.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cheyenne383 said:

My 2016 Suburban LT was an Enterprise rental. Bought it in February of 2017 with just over 40k miles and currently have 83k and counting. I'm very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I did and would recommend to buy within the powertrain warranty, that was comforting knowing I had another 20k in case the engine/trans was mysteriously abused and let go quick after purchase.

thanks for the input!   regardless if we get a rental or not, I am absolutely on board with what you are saying about mileage...I would prefer to find less than 40k, but not over 45k...and so far that is where most of the vehicles have been between 35k-45k on miles

Tough call, I've left quite a bit of rubber on the road from the rentals I've had over the years... I think a premium SUV will be rented by someone who probably drives something similar and might get treated better than a Camaro rental... I'd want it to be under the 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty if it was me at least... I don't think I could personally buy a rental though but, I've abused some rental cars of the years though lol...

14 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Tough call, I've left quite a bit of rubber on the road from the rentals I've had over the years... I think a premium SUV will be rented by someone who probably drives something similar and might get treated better than a Camaro rental... I'd want it to be under the 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty if it was me at least... I don't think I could personally buy a rental though but, I've abused some rental cars of the years though lol...

mustang rental, i agree...camaro rental, i agree...have you ever left rubber on a 6000 lb luxury SUV?  that is kind of part of my question...I haven't considered purchasing a rental ever before and infact, like you, wouldn't...untuil now...there are pros and cons for sure (i.e. more than likely much regular maintenance on rental vehicles, but of course as you brought up driven hard and put up wet is what happens...

On 1/9/2019 at 8:58 AM, spenpet said:

mustang rental, i agree...camaro rental, i agree...have you ever left rubber on a 6000 lb luxury SUV?  that is kind of part of my question...I haven't considered purchasing a rental ever before and infact, like you, wouldn't...untuil now...there are pros and cons for sure (i.e. more than likely much regular maintenance on rental vehicles, but of course as you brought up driven hard and put up wet is what happens...

No rubber laid in the Big ole SUV's but, plenty in every pickup I've ever rented lol... Plenty of people ride their leased cars hard and put 'em up wet too, it's a tough call..