Bed lights

Has anyone added the factory bed lights that go under the side rails?  My 15 had them I used them a lot withe the hard tonneau.  My 18 does not have them but I want to add them.  I looked at gmpartsnow.com and it looks like the whole kit is about $115.  If you've done this, is there a place to plugi the harness from the kit?  It appears it's setup to plug in somewhere near the trailer hitch.  I liked the factory set up because it worked off of the cargo light switch in the dash.

2 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

Has anyone added the factory bed lights that go under the side rails?  My 15 had them I used them a lot withe the hard tonneau.  My 18 does not have them but I want to add them.  I looked at gmpartsnow.com and it looks like the whole kit is about $115.  If you've done this, is there a place to plugi the harness from the kit?  It appears it's setup to plug in somewhere near the trailer hitch.  I liked the factory set up because it worked off of the cargo light switch in the dash.

There are a few threads on here with details on how to do the install. 

My issue with the factory lights is not the output, but the use.  I have to go inside the truck to turn them on, which is typically not my use case.

My Under Cover Ultra Flex bed cover came with two battery powered rope lights.  I installed them to look almost factory.  I end up using them, as it's a simple button push in the bed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

My issue with the factory lights is not the output, but the use.  I have to go inside the truck to turn them on, which is typically not my use case.

My Under Cover Ultra Flex bed cover came with two battery powered rope lights.  I installed them to look almost factory.  I end up using them, as it's a simple button push in the bed.

Same problem with the factory lights.  Need to be able to turn them on in the bed.

I added a rechargeable single light from Extang that mounts on the bottom center of the bed cover back toward the tailgate.  Just reach in and push the button to turn on the light.  When it needs recharged you just remove it from the bracket and plug into the cigarette lighter.  One problem is that you can't slam close or let drop the last cover panel or it will drop out of the bracket.

https://extang.com/e-light-truck-bed-light

9 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

If you've done this, is there a place to plug in the harness from the kit?  It appears it's setup to plug in somewhere near the trailer hitch.  I liked the factory set up because it worked off of the cargo light switch in the dash.

The factory bed/cargo light harness is the far right one in this pic. This view is looking up, just to the left of the spare tire, behind the hitch.

20181227_154335.thumb.jpg.9b3272573351f1f09ffc1c4307506b6d.jpg

I used my Chevrolet points and bought the factory bed lights and I have a bed cover.  I printed out two of the $50 coupons then spent $20 something for the rest.  Its a really clean install probably took 20 mins. 

I agree the only downside is that I have to push the cargo light button before getting out. That circuit also has some sort of timeout to it as well as turns off when your not in Park.   My tailgate doesn't seem to have a visible pin switch which how I would have like to have hooked it up but putting my tailgate somehow turns off my parking sensors.   I also considered wiring it hot to a switch and having the switch under one of the rails and a few lights that have magnets on them.  However the factory kit is just super clean compared to anything I could find.  There are even youtube videos that show where every rosebud clip goes.

IMG_5724.JPG

25 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

What are Chevrolet points?  Do you have a GM credit card or something?

Go to the myChevrolet app (if you have it loaded on your smartphone, scroll to the bottom of the page and find, My Chevrolet Rewards). Just click on the links and you will find out how to enroll and get points. You should have a few coming since you just bought a new truck.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

I installed this rechargeable/removable Extang light in in my bed.  I have the Extang Solid Fold 2 and it lights up the whole inside under the cover fine.  It snaps off it’s holder so it doubles as a pretty bright flashlight.  It can be recharged inside the truck with the included 12V cable.    For an outer light, I replaced the high mounted third light bulbs with very bright white LEDs.

https://extang.com/e-light-truck-bed-light

Bob

53 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Go to the myChevrolet app (if you have it loaded on your smartphone, scroll to the bottom of the page and find, My Chevrolet Rewards). Just click on the links and you will find out how to enroll and get points. You should have a few coming since you just bought a new truck.

This is news to me. I've had a mychevrolet and onstar account since I bought my truck, but I never heard of the rewards before. I just signed up and got my free 2000 points.

3 minutes ago, aseibel said:

This is news to me. I've had a mychevrolet and onstar account since I bought my truck, but I never heard of the rewards before. I just signed up and got my free 2000 points.

Think it is a pretty new program, not all dealers participate in by what I am told. I "negotiated" with help desk and "received" some free points when I got into my 18. Problem is, I have no idea how to use them.