Whipple Supercharger on 2015 Denali 80000km

Need some help guys and girls. I always wanted to stay gas so lets please avoid the diesel vs gas argument. I would like to add a little extra power for around town as I'm now rolling on 37" tires and when towing my 5000lb travel trailer. Was thinking of adding the Whipple SC to my 2015 Denali as GM will still warranty my truck with it installed. I will see a pretty decent increase in HP and Torque. 

Has anyone done this? Any words of advice?

Thanks

IMG_4951.jpeg

Little more info what engine and trans? Any power goal? Who is installing it and tuning? keeping cats?

I can help you or point you to 3 or more guys that have done this. However I will say up front your looking at under 550rwhp and that is at best. Only because fuel is limited. Upgrade fuel 700+ is on the. 8speed trans is more difficult but very doable.  

Supercharger is nice for the torque down low, like you said towing. I will say it is a little harder on engine, not as adjustable, less power out of box, and we see less MPG. 

Also you will want traction bars and air bag rear. 

So what questions you have?

I have a 14 silverado 5.3 with a magnuson super charger, kooks long tube headers, kooks y pipe with high flow cats, corsa cat back, and air raid cold air intake.  Tuned by one of the best tuners ever Graham Behan.

My numbers are as follows 449 rwhp/ 459 tq. It baselined at 292/327.

Night and day difference in power and performance.  I have to run premium gas also so figure that into cost.

Fuel milage dropped about 2mpg depending on how I drive her.

Would not trade it for anything.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Little more info what engine and trans? Any power goal? Who is installing it and tuning? keeping cats?
I can help you or point you to 3 or more guys that have done this. However I will say up front your looking at under 550rwhp and that is at best. Only because fuel is limited. Upgrade fuel 700+ is on the. 8speed trans is more difficult but very doable.  
Supercharger is nice for the torque down low, like you said towing. I will say it is a little harder on engine, not as adjustable, less power out of box, and we see less MPG. 
Also you will want traction bars and air bag rear. 
So what questions you have?

Truck has the 6.2 L86 with the 8L90 transmission. Question is are the benefits worth the risks to the engine and components running around 5lbs?

Will I have a huge loss in MPG when my foots not in it?

Is the gain worth the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 14 silverado 5.3 with a magnuson super charger, kooks long tube headers, kooks y pipe with high flow cats, corsa cat back, and air raid cold air intake.  Tuned by one of the best tuners ever Graham Behan.
My numbers are as follows 449 rwhp/ 459 tq. It baselined at 292/327.
Night and day difference in power and performance.  I have to run premium gas also so figure that into cost.
Fuel milage dropped about 2mpg depending on how I drive her.
Would not trade it for anything.
Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks EaglesZ71 that’s great advise. Those are impressive numbers! Not a huge loss in MPG either.

3 minutes ago, Cnadianff said:

Thanks EaglesZ71 that’s great advise. Those are impressive numbers! Not a huge loss in MPG either.

Thank you

That's driving pretty conservatively.

When I keep my foot in it I get like 12 to 13 mpg.

Good luck and if you do it find a good tuner.

Ok so 5lb is very low. you would want 500rwhp or more. In my option it is a waste of money under that power and honestly a little more power. I mean what are we taking $6,000+? 1/3 of that price on other mods and E85 can net the lower number and half that 6k gets you a turbo that a simple controller can +/- boost in seconds. so the 400,500,550,600rwhp is all right there. As posted my best mpg on highway is 20mpg. on a 5.3L 6 speed turbo at 12psi. 

The 6.2 will net you a little more power at a lower boost but 5 is still low. And with the 8speed you need to remove the TCM and mail it in to unlock it. 

As stated power numbers aren't everything but still very telling. so 450rwhp at 5500rpm but what does the power band look like. You may just have a 300rwhp till 5200rpm so big deal for a 10th of a second you have that power number. and with the 8speed and not wot driving you aren't in that power. This is when we start getting into tires size/gear/stall. But again if you had 550rwhp you still have 450 over 3500rpm, and know we are taking. All these numbers are made up to make a point. 

Ok so 5lb is very low. you would want 500rwhp or more. In my option it is a waste of money under that power and honestly a little more power. I mean what are we taking $6,000+? 1/3 of that price on other mods and E85 can net the lower number and half that 6k gets you a turbo that a simple controller can +/- boost in seconds. so the 400,500,550,600rwhp is all right there. As posted my best mpg on highway is 20mpg. on a 5.3L 6 speed turbo at 12psi. 
The 6.2 will net you a little more power at a lower boost but 5 is still low. And with the 8speed you need to remove the TCM and mail it in to unlock it. 

As stated power numbers aren't everything but still very telling. so 450rwhp at 5500rpm but what does the power band look like. You may just have a 300rwhp till 5200rpm so big deal for a 10th of a second you have that power number. and with the 8speed and not wot driving you aren't in that power. This is when we start getting into tires size/gear/stall. But again if you had 550rwhp you still have 450 over 3500rpm, and know we are taking. All these numbers are made up to make a point. 

Thanks for the reply. If I went the SC route how many pounds would you recommend? Does it take a lot of life out of the engine? Big increase in heat? What is the issue with the 8 speed TCM? Sorry for the questions I’m new to this year of truck.

24 minutes ago, Cnadianff said:

Thanks for the reply. If I went the SC route how many pounds would you recommend? Does it take a lot of life out of the engine? Big increase in heat? What is the issue with the 8 speed TCM? Sorry for the questions I’m new to this year of truck.

Your TCM is already tunable. Only 2017+ need to be unlocked in order to tune them.

Like 1SLOW1500 said, 5lbs is on the low side. I'm at 6lbs with my Magnuson, and that's really the lowest they'll set you up with. I'm very happy with the 6lbs and don't NEED more, but need vs. want is another story. Adding the SC and keeping the boost between 6 and 8 lbs should not change the longevity all that much. But, since you're already at 80K KM, I'd plan on something major breaking by the end of another 80K KM because that often happens with stock trucks. 

I had a 2006 5.3L Sierra that had the beefy 4-speed transmission, and even that thing only lasted 137K KM with my SC charger on it since month one. To me, the EVERY SINGLE DAY of enjoyment is worth a $2000 transmission after 8-10 years of driving. I drive less than 10,000 miles per year.

And don't get stuck on having to have a Whipple. Yes, they are amazing, but there are cheaper superchargers out there that are just fine. My Magnuson TVS1900 was much cheaper and is AMAZING on my 6.2L. BUT, the Whipple does come with an HPT handheld and credits, so that's about $400-$500 right there. You're going to need to understand the tune aspect of this install as well.

by bad yes your truck is tune able I was thinking the newer 8speed tcm. 6 is low 8 is pair. there is heat soak. and the weight of the rotational mass is harder on the engine as well a a little more loss. I have seen the larger kits and higher boost are running lower t sat. 

Again boost is a after thought, first question is how much power you going for. I would guess 520-550 before out of stock fuel. so the 8lb works. Then HP tuners and I would get a good stall and exhaust. There are a few starter tunes available so if you install this yourself and have HPT then just write over tune and drive.

I would as I do to everyone is get a wide band and a catch can. It can be cheap breather/puke or high end dual input vacuum. I empty my can weekly.