Need more towing power

6 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Supercharger.

Or cai,headers,exhaust, tune. If e85 a custom tune can really wake up that engine. 

Yep. Save the blower for last cause all the other power adders will be even better if you add a blower. 

19 hours ago, Silv2015 said:

Hello ,

i bought a 2015 silverado 4x4

z71 as well as a 25ft toy hauler 

what i want to know what can i put on the truck in order to get more power on an hill . 

What is the weight of your trailer?  If you are within the payload and tow limits of your truck, use tow/haul mode and you will safely climb hills with no modifications.

re-gear..and do everything else that was mentioned. A 25ft TH is pushing the half ton limits especially on a 5.3. Depends on how much it weighs? if its a older one pushing 10k and you load it with toys, you pretty much need more truck. There is a big difference between "will do it" and "was made for" that load level. not a lot of meat left on the bone capacity wise..

If its a newer light weight half-ton towable model you are still probably near the max. Hate to mention the "D" word.

25ft is small and way under weight. I tow a 35’ toyhauler loaded to the max at 9000lbs and the truck handles it fine. Sure hills slow me down but it’s all about momentum and you don’t need to be going fast while towing anyways. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jacoby said:

25ft is small and way under weight. I tow a 35’ toyhauler loaded to the max at 9000lbs and the truck handles it fine. Sure hills slow me down but it’s all about momentum and you don’t need to be going fast while towing anyways. 

That's some advice I would ignore. there is a huge range of weights for TH that length. can get well over 10k easy. Where I live they will pull you over and have you weight, plus check gvwr.  Many idiots have yard sales from towing overloaded rigs that can't handle the load. not just "drive easy". people loose lives that way.

Never seen a 35' bumper tow or 5th wheel that only weights 9k fully loaded (new mega light model?). with what? bicycles & a easy up? never seen a 35ft 5th wheel toy hauler under 12k lbs. A 7k 25 footer with a 2k sxs and fully wet and loaded is 10k easy. Now if your talking a mid-west style enclosed with a bathroom, that's not a true toy hauler IMHO. that's a gooseneck/enclosed/race trailer. 

all the trucks we have max capacities of 9~10k with the exception of the max tow package, then you have 12k. but why buy a trailer where you kill your truck and skim by on capacity? Get the right truck or trailer for the job, I would never buy more trailer than the truck I have.

Been mentioned in many posts before in reality, you can't change your max gvwr towing capacity listed on your door. Make it tow better sure. increase capacity - no, you will get the ticket. 

Next you can recommend to tow a 25 footer with a four runner or an Colorado- just take it easy.

Only way is a half ton towable loaded under the vehicles max gvwr. on the door. Just cause it will do it definitely does not make it smart..

2 hours ago, kennerz said:

Never seen a 35' bumper tow or 5th wheel that only weights 9k fully loaded (new mega light model?). with what? bicycles & a easy up? 

So because you’ve never seen one that automatically means they don’t exist???  You’re the all seeing all knowing person when it comes to toy haulers?  Maybe you should venture out from “where you live” some time as there’s a whole big world out there full of all shapes and sizes of trailers for you to see. I will agree there are plenty of 25 footers that can out weigh the limits of our trucks. I made a blanket statement. Like you most of the 25’ trailers I’ve seen no way weigh 10k lbs plus.  But they are out there. 

my toy hauler is a 2011 KZ MXT 301. It’s not some new “mega light” model as it’s 8yrs old. I carry my can am maverick in it which weighs 1500lbs. I don’t travel with a full water tank and usually only carry one propane tank because we never travel that far with it.  I had it weighed way back when it was packed to the gills and it came in at 8560 if I remember correctly. That’s well within spec and well within the capabilities of my truck.  Thanks. 

Specs 

Dry Weight 

5,560 lbs.

Payload Capacity 

3,240 lbs.

GVWR 

8,800 lbs.

Hitch Weight 

810 lbs.

Length 

33.17 ft. (398 in.)

Width 

8 ft. (96 in.)

Height 

8.83 ft. (106 in.)

Interior Height 

6.5 ft. (78 in.)

Pretty cool. that's totally at the ultra light end of the spectrum. That is the lightest of that size I've seen. & living in the socal desert I've seen a lot of what's out there. There are 18ft weekend warriors & carsons that weight that much or more especially older models. Even an all aluminum 28' ATC TH out weights your trailer.  Just saying what you own is very light for it's size (much less than the standard).  There are a bunch of new 5th wheels the size of your trailer that are close to 15k unloaded (luxurious as hell) that require a diesel.  A 32ft weekend warrior bumper pull is over 10k dry.

Point is with a normal rig (24ft & up) you can be overweight quickly with a 1/2 ton, and in many scenarios that can be dangerous to everyone on the road.  You obviously did your homework and found something that is within margin- good job. but too many Darwin award candidates out there who just push the limits all the time and when they come up short bad things happen. Seen it. More than once.  Put it on a scale and it's always more than what people "figured" doing optimistic math.

Even if you are good I would always push weight distribution, air bags, and brake controllers at the min. & stay under gvwr. be on the I want to live plan.

So... back on topic...   

The answer is NOTHING.  You can do nothing to raise the towing capacity.   As mentioned you can make it tow better / less effort / wear not he truck.. but not higher capacity.  the trends and rear end can only handle so much.  Heat is your enemy here.   You will destroy your truck quickly by towing too much.   

I tow (with my 1500 non Max Tow) a '14 enclosed trailer that weighs 3600#s with (2) Harley Ultras in it (2000#s).   I travel to Sturgis every year and the mountains are brutal @  70/80 MPH posted speed limit.    Getting some momentum on the down hill and keeping it under 3-3500k RPM on the up is best.   You will loose some speed of course but you will not beat up the truck.   There is always another down on the other side.   Speed kills when you are towing weight.   Keep it manageable.   Remember... to go 60 miles at 70 MPH it takes 51.4 minutes.   at 80 MPH it take you 45 minutes.   Worth it to save 5.6 minutes?   Risk of accident as well as the damage to your drivetrain?  

On 1/21/2019 at 10:09 AM, Silv2015 said:

I was thinking cold air intake , a exhaust, and maybe a performance chip?

Performance chip?  1993 is calling and wants your tuning methods back.  Vehicles today - and for quite some time now - need to be programmed.  If you want a tune, get a proper E85 tune with HP Tuners.  Headers will get you somewhere, cat-back and CAI won't do a whole lot.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:17 AM, paracutin said:

Yep. Save the blower for last cause all the other power adders will be even better if you add a blower. 

Or do the blower first and make a lot more power, then only go further with additional mods.  

6 hours ago, Silv2015 said:

from what i read my 2015 double cab z71 will pull up to 11k lbs , could be wrong 

Unless you have the Max Towing package, you aren't even close to 11k.  Max Towing would get you 10,800.  Otherwise, you will be at either 9,200 (unless you have the crappy 3.08 gearing, then 6,200lbs).