20" Chrome Clad Wheels

Hello everyone.  I've got a 2 part question, that i would like some help on.

First of all, I have a 2018 Silverado Custom, with the factory 20" chrome clad wheels, and want to know what products, are the best to keep this type of wheel clean

My wife has a 2015 GMC Terrain, with the same type of wheels and there appears to be brake dust stains on those wheels, but i am not sure what to try on them.  I've thought about the Magic Eraser Mr Clean sponge, but wasnt sure if it would affect the chrome finish.  Thoughts and suggestions, please

Second, I was considering a set of winter rims and snow tires for my truck, however, I do not see any 20" steel wheels available.  I'd like to get a set of basic steel with TPMS, and snow tires all around, but am not sure how to go to another diameter wheel, with the same setup as my current.  I dont want the speedometer or odometer affected.  All help and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Grego.

I'm a DIY derailer and have tried many wheel cleaner products. This is far and away the best I've found. 

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener – Clear-Coated, Factoy Painted and Chrome Wheel Cleaner – D14001, 1 gal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SH4LY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FKBtCb7K7WXNR

Dilute the product at about 4-1 in a spray bottle, apply and it will melt the brake dust off. A gallon will last you a couple years. 

Can't help with snow tires, I live in Florida. We don't do snow tires. ?

• Thanks 1

Hi I am not sure if this would be any help to you with your question number 2 when I was getting winter tires for my truck I had a look at the spare and I noticed it was a 265/70/17 so if figured 17 inch rims should clear the brakes and be relatively close in size. I purchased a set of 17 inch rims and tires and it fits with no problem and checked the speedometer with a app on my phone and it seems to still be accurate so it worked for me and was a lot cheaper with the 17s. You may want to check with a tire size calculator online to make sure your speedo wont be out to much. 

yeah for chrome i use a soft wool soaked in lighter fluid, then polish of residue , then Lemon pledge and polish again. i went and found a set or 18" alloys from a 2018 Tahoe grey powder coated, those 20" that come stock are gas hogs, i swear i gained 1.5 mpg going smaller

20 hours ago, ItsDooomz said:

I'm a DIY derailer and have tried many wheel cleaner products. This is far and away the best I've found. 

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener – Clear-Coated, Factoy Painted and Chrome Wheel Cleaner – D14001, 1 gal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SH4LY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FKBtCb7K7WXNR

Dilute the product at about 4-1 in a spray bottle, apply and it will melt the brake dust off. A gallon will last you a couple years. 

Can't help with snow tires, I live in Florida. We don't do snow tires. ?

Thanks for the suggestion, I greatly appreciate it.  No snow tires for you, and unfortunately, no Publix for me......

8 hours ago, flyingfool said:

yeah for chrome i use a soft wool soaked in lighter fluid, then polish of residue , then Lemon pledge and polish again. i went and found a set or 18" alloys from a 2018 Tahoe grey powder coated, those 20" that come stock are gas hogs, i swear i gained 1.5 mpg going smaller

Interesting idea.  How much did your wheel and tire setup cost you?

23 hours ago, 03dyna said:

Hi I am not sure if this would be any help to you with your question number 2 when I was getting winter tires for my truck I had a look at the spare and I noticed it was a 265/70/17 so if figured 17 inch rims should clear the brakes and be relatively close in size. I purchased a set of 17 inch rims and tires and it fits with no problem and checked the speedometer with a app on my phone and it seems to still be accurate so it worked for me and was a lot cheaper with the 17s. You may want to check with a tire size calculator online to make sure your speedo wont be out to much. 

you want to try and find the steel police rims from a Tahoe, those are 17" and 8 or 8.5" wide, the work truck rims are also 17" but those are 7" wide.  the Police rims look better with a fat tire, I'm willing to be the steel wheels weight less than my 18" alloys.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Bob985 said:

Yeah I just wax them and it seems to do the trick

what are you using on them?  i'm a fan of the turtlewax ice products, but would like to know what you use.

i just dont want to see the chrome peeling in a few years.