Snow/Ice Tires

I’m looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 and Hankook iPike WR11. I like the fact that I can add studs to the Hankooks if I wanted and they look pretty aggressive from the YouTube video I saw. Size will be 275-55-20.

Anyone have driving experience with either one of these? Looking for feedback, good or bad. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had hankook snows on my rear drive G8 GT & then blizzaks - I think the blizzaks performed better. Right now on my '15 6.2 4x4 Sierra running General grabber arctic snows w/ studs installed 275/60R20 

Once you go w/ snows you'll never go back - & if you're spending the $$ & don't have issues w/ state laws may as well go w/ the studs. I've waxed poetic on the superiority (significant superiority) of snows over "all seasons" or "AT" tires a number of times on this forum - to cut it short, essentially in 4WD HI & studded snows the truck is unstoppable & you can drive it as if there is essentially no snow or ice on the road. The studs really come into play on icy pavement or when you have scattered patches of ice/bare pavement/snow pack etc. 

I pass sand/salt plows in all out blizzard conditions doing 60 in 4wd w/o zero feeling of instability.

Enjoy

I had the Hankook I pike & just replaced with the Blizzak at the end of last winter.

My Hankooks were too old to compare side by side (6 years old & lost their bite) but from memory of when they were new I would say the Hankooks were better in deeper or wet snow but the Blizzaks are much better on compact snow & ice.

I'm happy with the Blizzaks.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

We have had Blizzaks on my wife's last couple cars, a FWD Acura and a RWD 5 series, they are pretty damn good.  I have some brand new Falken Wildpeaks on my truck and they are noticeably better than the Cooper Discoverer AT3s I had before, acceleration and stopping.  They are the best 'snow' tires I've ever had.

I’m going to be in Montana where studs are legal and mounting on a second set of 20” wheels. My non winter’s are 22”. Too bad the Blizzaks don’t have studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never found a mountain pass in WA, ID, or OR that the Duratracs couldn't perform on perfectly. I don't doubt studs help (that's what she said), but never found a need for them or pure winter tires.

OR doesn't salt roads, they dump red volcanic rock/sand on them. Eats your paint job if you don't have mud flaps, sand blasts everything else, but doesn't rot metal.