2019 Camper Shell Cap Pictures

• 2 months later...
Any updates on how the Camper Shells are doing with these new trucks?  I have heard of issues with wind noise, is this true.  Any complaints so far?
I regret my leer 100xl. I would get the ARE if I had to do it over. This is my 5th leer cap. There were several paint defects, one of the rear pop out windows won't close and leaks, the front slider rattles like crazy and leaks water around the frame, the left side of the cap by the truck bed bows out on the driver side to the point I can stick all my fingers in the gap, and the worst is the cap sticks up almost 1.5 inches over the third brake light which to my ears makes enough wind noise at 70 mph that I can start to hear it over the radio.

If memory serves, leer has 3 (?) factories and each will have its own form. So depending on where you are in the country you might not have any of the issues I have.

I will say after seeing a post on here with the ARE and how the cap is tapered on top to match the rear brake light, it is clearly a better design that probably mitigates the wind noise I am hearing.

So I don't usually bash a product but leer earned this one by sending me a piece of cr@p. And trust me this cap is going back as soon as we get back from camping this summer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I am sorry to hear you have had so many issues, that really sucks.  Hopefully others can learn from your misfortune, I know I have.  I am for sure planning on avoiding Leer for my truck.  I have been looking at the ARE Z2, I just wish it had windows that opened on the sides.  Good luck with your cap and hope everything turns out better.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:39 PM, ShamrockShooter said:

I regret my leer 100xl. I would get the ARE if I had to do it over. This is my 5th leer cap. There were several paint defects, one of the rear pop out windows won't close and leaks, the front slider rattles like crazy and leaks water around the frame, the left side of the cap by the truck bed bows out on the driver side to the point I can stick all my fingers in the gap, and the worst is the cap sticks up almost 1.5 inches over the third brake light which to my ears makes enough wind noise at 70 mph that I can start to hear it over the radio.

If memory serves, leer has 3 (?) factories and each will have its own form. So depending on where you are in the country you might not have any of the issues I have.

I will say after seeing a post on here with the ARE and how the cap is tapered on top to match the rear brake light, it is clearly a better design that probably mitigates the wind noise I am hearing.

So I don't usually bash a product but leer earned this one by sending me a piece of cr@p. And trust me this cap is going back as soon as we get back from camping this summer.

I know you said you'd hurt the local retailer you bought it from but he should be able to go after Leer for all of the manufacturing defects. It's your hard earned money, and you have to deal with it for the next 3/5/10 years knowing you're unhappy? Sorry, I'd return it and get what you want. The other option is put it up on CL and see if someone else will buy it and then get what you want.

I know you said you'd hurt the local retailer you bought it from but he should be able to go after Leer for all of the manufacturing defects. It's your hard earned money, and you have to deal with it for the next 3/5/10 years knowing you're unhappy? Sorry, I'd return it and get what you want. The other option is put it up on CL and see if someone else will buy it and then get what you want.
I told the local guy I would pay him for his time to install/uninstall the cap separately, and asked him to coordinate with leer to either make me a new cap or return it outright. Have not heard anything back. Maybe I am being overly picky, but the wind noise is the thing that bothers me most.

Another option is my American Express card has buyer protection that I have used before. I bought and exhaust system that didn't fit right years ago and Auto Anything would not take it back because it had been installed. Amex stepped in and negotiated with the merchant to make them take it back.

I have also considered taking the cap off and leaving it in my backyard on a pallet an just putting it on the few weeks a year I go camping and just deal with the issues I have with it and run a tonneau cover the rest of the year.

• Like 1

ARE's CX Revo looks pretty nice too. Not currently avaiable for the GM '19s but I saw somewhere they will be soon. I really need sliding side windows, they don't look avaiable on the Z2. We take our Lab on all our camping trips. I had planned on pulling the trigger on the LEER 100xl, but now after recent posts, I'm thinking of waiting for the Revo. 

image.thumb.png.77d963216b79a50ae1ff94a2301feacc.png

Edited by ChuckZ71
added pic

Well, don't base your leer purchase purely on my experience. It could just be one bad cap. I too need the pop out windows for the dogs. Unless it is a downpour, I usually remove the entire front window altogether from the cap to get the most airflow back there. With the new bed outlet I also plan to get my Ryobi fan setup back there to keep the temps cool for the dogs

• 3 weeks later...
Looking to purchase a cap for my 2019 and saw this thread. Any new thoughts or suggestions for someone who is looking to soon purchase a cap?
Well I can tell you my leer 100 xl is getting shipped back to leer. Several issues with it. I guess it all depends on how picky you are and how much you want to spend. The ARE cap is much more expensive but their design by the 3rd brake light seems superior to leers at mitigating wind noise.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How much more expensive is ARE then Leer? I have had a Leer 100R on my Tacoma for 11 years now and never had a problem, and that with regularly hauling kayaks on top. 

I am not a beg fan of the little indent for the third brake light, but I guess there is no way around it.

Looking on the Leer website it claims that for the Sierra with or without the Multi-Pro Tailgate the following WILL fit:

- 100XR

- 100XL

and for the Silverado the following will fit:

- 100XR

- 100XL

-100XQ

-100R

I am looking for a new truck and if there IS no cap available for the Sierra Mulit-Pro that is definitely a deal breaker for me. 

Also, can anyone confirm about the excessive wind noise?

Edited by mistaare