2019 Camper Shell Cap Pictures

I don't guess anyone has come up with a solution to the rearview mirror camera? AKA relocating it to the rear of the camper top. I've had a dealer talk to both mfgs. with no solution. I've never owned a camper top but want to put one on my 2020. I'd think the regular rearview mirror would be pretty limited looking through 3 window but I guess you get used to not seeing directly behind the truck?

15 hours ago, ArTurf said:

I don't guess anyone has come up with a solution to the rearview mirror camera? AKA relocating it to the rear of the camper top. I've had a dealer talk to both mfgs. with no solution. I've never owned a camper top but want to put one on my 2020. I'd think the regular rearview mirror would be pretty limited looking through 3 window but I guess you get used to not seeing directly behind the truck?

I've had one for 18 years on all my trucks and seeing through the mirror isn't a problem. I ordered an ARE Z2 and it came in this week but wasn't what the dealer said it was going to be. I ordered a Leer 100XL today from a different dealer and saved $600. I waited 7 weeks for Z2 to come it and disappointed that it was the wrong thing. I've always had ARE Z series. Jumping over to Leer now.

I currently have a leer XL on my 2014 GMC 2500HD and love it.  I am 100% ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 Sierra Reg Cab Long bed 2500HD but there is no option on the Leer or ARE site for this model.  I have sent Leer at least 4 emails and have never heard back.  Unfortunately for me, I am not going to purchase a truck until a cap option is available as it is used exclusively for vacation/camping and the cap is required.

There are also no options for an aftermarket sliding rear window for this body style yet, so that is another thing keeping me from the truck purchase.  Don't get me started on why GM doesn't offer any options for a sliding rear window in a regular cab truck....just stupid.

I have made several alterations to my current cap to get it the way I want it so maybe I will wait until all this cap drama plays out before I purchase new.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/610-builds/841602-keeping-bed-cool.html

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/493802-led-bed-lights-cap-light-install.html

So yup, got $60k burning a hole in my pocket but can't order the truck....lol.

cap.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, linda said:

I currently have a leer XL on my 2014 GMC 2500HD and love it.  I am 100% ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 Sierra Reg Cab Long bed 2500HD but there is no option on the Leer or ARE site for this model.  I have sent Leer at least 4 emails and have never heard back.  Unfortunately for me, I am not going to purchase a truck until a cap option is available as it is used exclusively for vacation/camping and the cap is required.

There are also no options for an aftermarket sliding rear window for this body style yet, so that is another thing keeping me from the truck purchase.  Don't get me started on why GM doesn't offer any options for a sliding rear window in a regular cab truck....just stupid.

I have made several alterations to my current cap to get it the way I want it so maybe I will wait until all this cap drama plays out before I purchase new.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/610-builds/841602-keeping-bed-cool.html

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/493802-led-bed-lights-cap-light-install.html

So yup, got $60k burning a hole in my pocket but can't order the truck....lol.

cap.jpg

Beautiful truck! To me that is one of the best looking body styles we have had in years. Just something a liked about those gmc’s. I love seeing a nice regular cab. I also have been very irritated at the things gm does and does not allow the consumer to have based on nothing. The sliding rear window on a single cab is a prime example. Good luck with your search. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 12:33 PM, Danny B said:

I am looking to purchase a camper shell like the one on this blue truck for my 2020 GMC Sierra 1500.

Id love to get the blue one for my AT4 as well. I wonder when it will be available. It would also be nice if Leer or ARE would come up with a way to put the rear view camera in the camper top.

Funny story (or sad if you want a Leer Cap for a 2020 HD).  I spoke with Chad this afternoon who is the local Leer rep for my area and he told me this is what the Regional Guy for Leer told him 2 weeks ago regarding the 2020+ Heavy Duty Chevy/GMC line-up.  Verbatim........

Leer is watching sales right now to see how popular the Silverado/Sierra HD lineup is actually going to be before we begin the R&D on this model shell. 

So, according to the local guy, it could be well into 2021 before we see a Cap/Topper from Leer for a 2020+ Silverado/Sierra Heavy Duty truck.  

Looks like I will be keeping an eye on ARE to see what they come up with.  Or postponing my purchase until definitive news comes out.  :(

• Confused 1

Correct, I have the normal window on the passenger side and a windoor on the driver's side. As you said it opens upward and there is no screen so you can access the cargo easily. My wife prefers a screen to keep bugs out when we sleep in it. I'll velcro'd  screen on the drivers side then.  Many of the new shells do not have windows that open very far, the rear portion just flexes outwards, they aren't as nice if you want to use them to sleep in because of the reduced ventilation.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:44 PM, Dmouton said:

I've had one for 18 years on all my trucks and seeing through the mirror isn't a problem. I ordered an ARE Z2 and it came in this week but wasn't what the dealer said it was going to be. I ordered a Leer 100XL today from a different dealer and saved $600. I waited 7 weeks for Z2 to come it and disappointed that it was the wrong thing. I've always had ARE Z series. Jumping over to Leer now.

What did you not like about the ARE Z2? I am in the market for a top for my 2020 Chevy HC

12 hours ago, ArTurf said:

What did you not like about the ARE Z2? I am in the market for a top for my 2020 Chevy HC

If you go back to page 5, I think the last post on that page is mine. I posted pics of the camper and I don't like the look of the pop-out window. Plus the handle you use to pop out is all plastic. Cheaply made. There isn't any partial opening. It's either open all the way or closed. Main reason though is I can't stand the look of that small inside a big window. Wife don't like it either. Got my Leer 100XL in and installed this week and love it. I haven't posted picture yet because it's been raining and my truck needs a bath.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got good weather since I got my Leer 100XL installed and was able to wash her for pictures finally. I've always had ARE Z Series but didn't like Z2. Ordered this and I like it better. 

20200307_173518.jpg

20200307_173912.jpg

Edited by Dmouton
  • Like 4

New member, first post. Found this website and forum while searching the web for photos and information on truck caps for these new style GM pickups. More information and photos here on the caps for the new trucks than all the cap manufacturers put together show online. Beautiful trucks and caps pictured here guys!! I've had caps on my GM pickups since 1987, for me its the only way to go. Bought a new Sierra 1500 SLT CC Short Box in mid-January. My caps have always been Leer, except for one Century. Last one was a Leer 100XL on a 2010 Silverado LTZ installed when the truck was about a month old. Great cap, still in fine shape 9+ years later when I purchased the new Sierra. Only things replaced on that cap were the handle and latching mechanism along with the shocks after 6 years. Narrowed my choice for a new top down to two caps, the ARE Z2 and a Leer 100XQ. I love the looks of the window styling on those caps with the new trucks. Ben Bolte's Dec 31st post on page 5 certainly looks like a Leer 100XQ. My problem on the Leer was I have the MultiPro Tailgate and the Leer website says it is not available. Attempted to contact Leer direct, with no success(as several of you have noted). Two weeks ago I stopped at the Leer dealer and told him I really liked the 100XQ, but they did not offer it for my truck. He picked up the phone, got his contact at Leer, and asked him when it would be available for the MultiPro Tailgate. The answer- It is now available for the MultiPro Tailgate, around a 4 week lead time. Checked out an ARE Z2, really nice cap, and a price to match! Placed the order for a Leer 100XQ last week.  

• Like 1