Washing/cleaning supplies

This may not be the appropriate section for this question but I was curious as to what product or type of product everyone uses to wash your truck?  I've always used a sponge or mitt on my Tacoma that I had but washing a full size truck can be hard to reach certain areas.

I use a foam cannon, Meguiars gold class car wash, Meguiars X3002 microfiber wash mitt and Meguiars X2000 water magnet drying towels. I tried a whole lot of different products and I like these the best by far.

Meguiar's X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RXKR6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CLWyCbWSV94MV

Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009IQZFM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7KWyCbD29XA1E

First thing is first, GRIT GUARDS and a 2 pail system, one pail for rinsing and scrubbing your mitt on the grit guards, the second pail has your fresh soap and water. Never use your wheel mitts/water/soap pail to do your paint, fine brake dust will leave swirl marks, ALWAYS wash in straight lines, never do circles. If you use the same pail for your wheels, wash them LAST and rinse your pail after, wash all towels and mitts after every use. 

I use a step stool to do the roof and the centre of the hood by the windshield of my leveled K2 on 33's, I am pretty short though at 5'10". 

The best mitts to use are genuine sheep's wool if you can find one in my experience. They do a much better job on the paint surface and less prone to hide debris in the mitt that will scratch the paint. I buy the mcguires one but if you don't dry it right away after use the leather inside deteriorates. I hate micro fibre mitts and only use them for dirty areas like wheels, rockers, running boards, etc. 

I use a diesel/electric heated Karcher 4000psi 4gpm, spray the heavy stuff off then put on the foam lance with mcguires soap, wash it down with the mitt, then rinse it off and dry with a leaf blower. Then I use Adams waxes with Chemical guys applicators and towel, with a Macguires detailer spray. When it gets really dirty I like to hit it with a light Chem. Guys claybar once every year or two. Macguires wheel cleaner when needed. 

I have been washing trucks since I was 5 years old with my dad helping keep his fleet looking good. I still consider myself an amateur 30 years later. There is endless knowledge to be learned in the field. I just detailed it before putting it away for winter, but I didn't take any fresh photos yet, this is how it looks 90% of the time. 

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_1169.jpg

Edited by L86 All Terrain

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, dsr611 said:

On sale now at Lowes for $35 each delivered.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-1-67-ft-x-3-75-ft-x-12-in-250-lbs-lb-Aluminum-Work-Platform/1000381787

At that price I got 2; one for each side so that I don't have to lug one around the truck.  Just set up and get busy. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, duquephart said:

The two pail system is very important. Werner makes a very nice platform also good for washing windows, etc. Lowes all but gives them away on sale.

Thanks.  I was just about to post a question about how to clean the hood and roof on my truck.  I have a step ladder but didn’t see that as a good alternative.  This post reminded me that I have a platform that I use for painting.  Duh, never thought of it for washing the truck.  That will be a lot more stable.  Thanks!

Edited by GN2018