Dealer Shuttle Fail

rkj__

Here's a fun story.

I was scheduled for a multi-point vehicle inspection and oil change at the dealer, which apparently is a requirement to maintain the warranty.  I also complained of a wiper blade that was missing a patch on the windshield.  I was a little surprised I would have to pay $70 for the inspection, but I was not about to get worked up over it.

So, I drove to the dealer on my lunch break, and had the courtesy shuttle drive me back to work.  I requested they pick me up again at 5pm.  The driver advised he might be a bit late, since he had some rural customers on the schedule.  No problem I figured.

So, when 5pm came and went, I was not surprised when the driver was not waiting for me.  I can be patient.  But, late, turned into really late.  I called the dealership a 5:50pm.  The poor receptionist had no idea what to do.  The service department closed at 5:30, and she apparently had no way to contact the shuttle driver.  She did wish me good luck though...

So, not being offered any help, and not wanting to stay at work until 11pm when my wife got off work, I started to walk home.  I walked 4km home in blowing snow, with a -16C windchill.  I stopped, had a bit to eat, put on some warmer clothes, and grabbed my spare keys, to walk another 4km to the dealership and get my truck. 

On Saturday morning, I stopped in the dealership to communicate what had happened.  Of course, the service manager was not in on a Saturday, so a young gentleman said he would have a manager call me on Monday to make things right.

Monday came and went with no call. 

Today, on Tuesday afternoon, the manager did call me.  I asked what had gone wrong, and was told the shuttle driver simply forgot to pick me up.  He also forgave the amount owing.  I accepted that as a reasonable resolution. 

Obviously I was a little more than a little aggravated, but given all the stories I've read about poor experiences with dealerships, and well, any business that provides a service, I keep my expectations very low.  When thins go wrong, I'm not at all shocked. 

Edited by rkj__

Is your vehicle under 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty? One of your free oil changes?  GM's multi-point inspection is not required for warranty purposes. Nor should you be charged for it. It is meant for up sell purposes. Unless something is found wrong that is under warranty, then it's usually a battle to get a service manager to sign off for the repair. I've had coolant leaks that I've found that were denied because the customer didn't complain of a leak.

8 minutes ago, tbarn said:

Is your vehicle under 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty? One of your free oil changes?  GM's multi-point inspection is not required for warranty purposes. Nor should you be charged for it. It is meant for up sell purposes. Unless something is found wrong that is under warranty, then it's usually a battle to get a service manager to sign off for the repair. I've had coolant leaks that I've found that were denied because the customer didn't complain of a leak.

Yes, still under bumper to bumper warranty.  This was a free oil change.  The wiper blade was replaced under warranty. 

When I brought the vehicle in, the service advisor very clearly stated that the inspection was required to keep the warranty in good standing.  It sounded like BS to me, but I really did not feel like arguing about it.  I'll do my best to play nice with the dealer for as long as the truck is under warranty.  I really don't feel like fighting with them about not covering an issue in the future, because I declined an inspection. 

Edited by rkj__

Go to another dealer. Any dealer can do the free oil changes or warranty work. 

Watch your email for the Chevy customer satisfaction survey. Blast them on it. They flat out conned you on that inspection. 

I have found that a good sales team and good service department are rarely found at the same dealer.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Like 1

A good sales team and good service department are rarely found at ANY dealer. 

White's, be it in Casper or Gillette, is abysmal. Sure, they can change oil ok, and rotate tires. Even did a decent job on alignments and a left rear axle seal. 

Taking care of your vehicle during that? GOOD LUCK. 

Tell them not to wash my truck. They do anyway, and I get nice freakin swirlies in the paint. 

My very last trip there they gouged one of the wheels and embossed another one with the air gun. SCREW YOU GUYS, I'll do it AT HOME.

The Parts department was good, the main dude would do wholesale pricing and really work with me on getting a good deal. He understood my OCD. 

Unfortunately he left, and the new guy took my OCD (in form of double checking part numbers) personally. He's doing better on pricing, but like with UCAs I'm not going to fork over $50 to support local business. I can't afford that. 

Rant over. Sorry for that :lol:

rkj, you have the right perspective, I admire you for your patience. After that though, you deserve an award! (and more free service!)