wireless charging upgrade

On 3/31/2020 at 5:30 PM, alexistence said:

Since I guess it's been a couple of weeks now, have you noticed any drain on your battery that would be more than leaving a phone charging inside? I would like to run it hot and I hate that the USB won't charge my phone with the engine off.. which is a terrible design flaw if you ask me. I'd like to be able leave the phone on the console and have it charging while I'm at work.

Nope, no noticable battery drain.

I just ordered this wireless charger which others on this forum have installed (I think...) in the center console lid. 

CHOETECH Dual Fast Wireless Charger, 5 Coils Qi Certified Double Wireless Charging Pad

here is the issue:  the charger works when I plug into the wall outlet. When I plug into the USB in the center console the light comes on but does not charge when a phone is placed on it. I tried a regular charging cord plugged directly into the phone and it charges, so it is not the USB outlet in the truck.  I did this without mounting it, just loose on the center console, so it is not the thickness of the lid and cover on the phone that prevent charging. 

any suggestions?

thanks for the help!

EE0DF257-87CB-413D-BFBA-03405E53ED71.png

Edited by pschne1
Add more info

The USB on the dash probably doesn't carry enough voltage or watts to run that thing. It charges phones slow...

I bet it carries enough to power the LED on the device, but not enough send power to your phone. Try to hard wire it??

Edited by alexistence

2 hours ago, alexistence said:

The USB on the dash probably doesn't carry enough voltage or watts to run that thing. It charges phones slow...

I bet it carries enough to power the LED on the device, but not enough send power to your phone. Try to hard wire it??

Hard wiring is an option, but would prefer to avoid having to tear apart center console. I am wondering if getting a USB C to USB C cable would work. The plug on the charger is a UBC C but the other end of the cable is the old, larger USB connector. I see cables with USB C on both ends available. I wonder if there is more power supply using the USB C jack in the console?

5 hours ago, pschne1 said:

Hard wiring is an option, but would prefer to avoid having to tear apart center console. I am wondering if getting a USB C to USB C cable would work. The plug on the charger is a UBC C but the other end of the cable is the old, larger USB connector. I see cables with USB C on both ends available. I wonder if there is more power supply using the USB C jack in the console?

The built in USB ports didn’t provide enough power to effectively power up the coils in my charger mod either.   Run a hot wire into the console and use a quality 12V USB adapter to power the charging pad.   
Also - you don’t have to tear apart the center console to run a wire, you can easily tuck a wire up under it, and the rear of the console (where the vents are) comes off extremely easily, so you can access the inside of the console.  

Edited by romclean1

19 minutes ago, romclean1 said:

The built in USB ports didn’t provide enough power to effectively power up the coils in my charger mod either.   Run a hot wire into the console and use a quality 12V USB adapter to power the charging pad.   

Even plugged into the smaller USB-C outlet?  I thought those charge faster. 

12 hours ago, pschne1 said:

Even plugged into the smaller USB-C outlet?  I thought those charge faster. 

The only way to know for sure is to test with a meter. I bet that they are both the same though. 

On 3/1/2020 at 8:49 PM, Fyreman97 said:

This is how I decided to do it for now. Want to wire it in so I don't lose the USB port on the dash.

5C128D57-0738-4175-94DB-788BFC6FF977.jpeg

AD75A2A1-7982-4591-A59B-C76FCB947BE7.jpeg

Which wireless charger is that?  Looking for one that I can just plug into the USB port and not hardwire in. 

1 hour ago, pschne1 said:

Which wireless charger is that?  Looking for one that I can just plug into the USB port and not hardwire in. 

It was from Amazon. It says currently unavailable

FASTPAD Ultra-Slim Qi Wireless Charger PU Leather Wireless Charging Pad for iPhone 11 Pro iPhone X XR XS MAX / 8/8 Plus 7.5W Fast Charging, Water Resistant, No Heating (No AC Adapter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793TJ9YR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ds7IEbSG37WGF 

59 minutes ago, Fyreman97 said:

It was from Amazon. It says currently unavailable

FASTPAD Ultra-Slim Qi Wireless Charger PU Leather Wireless Charging Pad for iPhone 11 Pro iPhone X XR XS MAX / 8/8 Plus 7.5W Fast Charging, Water Resistant, No Heating (No AC Adapter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793TJ9YR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ds7IEbSG37WGF 

Thx!  That gives me a good start!

5 hours ago, John DiLauro said:

I have a 2020 Silverado LTZ without wireless charging, I was wondering if you bought a new console insert with the wireless pad is the factory wiring underneath to plug in? That would be the way to go for a factory look.

I have a 19 TB. I ended up using this wireless charger:

CHOETECH Wireless Charger, 3 Coils Qi Certified 10W Max Fast Wireless Charging Pad, Compatible iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max/Xs Max/XR/X/XS/8/8 Plus, Galaxy Note 10/S20/S20+/S10/S10E, AirPods Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2CWBS1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zp2KEbMZYJ09C

i took the top off and epoxied it to the underside of the center console. The inside of the center console pops right off and i ran the wire out by the hinge.  I hid the wire and plugged it into the USB in the center console.  I tested it and it works perfectly.  Strong connection even if you slide the phone around in the center pocket on the armrest (I have an iPhone 10 Max).  Phone gets slightly warm when in there for an extended amount of time. I had to drive 1.5 hours yesterday and it was in there and charging the entire time even when using Waze.  All in I spent $20 and about an hour (once I found a wireless charger that the USB port in the truck could power). I assume that buying the factory parts would be way more expensive and do not know if the wiring is already there. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2020 at 4:00 PM, pschne1 said:

I just ordered this wireless charger which others on this forum have installed (I think...) in the center console lid. 

CHOETECH Dual Fast Wireless Charger, 5 Coils Qi Certified Double Wireless Charging Pad

here is the issue:  the charger works when I plug into the wall outlet. When I plug into the USB in the center console the light comes on but does not charge when a phone is placed on it. I tried a regular charging cord plugged directly into the phone and it charges, so it is not the USB outlet in the truck.  I did this without mounting it, just loose on the center console, so it is not the thickness of the lid and cover on the phone that prevent charging. 

any suggestions?

thanks for the help!

EE0DF257-87CB-413D-BFBA-03405E53ED71.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08336XQR9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V71NQ19/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the same issue.  Found this adapter for the cigarette lighter and has higher output.  Then invest in some right angle usb/usb-c plugs.  I didn't know that middle piece came up like that on the console.  I might have to try relocating mine underneath like what you have pictured.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking into adding wireless charging to a 2020 LT Trail Boss. It took a little digging and found the factory components on gmpartsdirect.com. The total cost is $108, and here are the required part #'s.

#84482763 Wiring Harness (w/o rear heated seats) 

#84505586 Upper Trim Panel

#84002462 Wireless Charging Module

The only thing I'm not 100% is whether or not there would be any firmware requirements, or if it is a simple plug and play situation.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...