wireless charging upgrade

Anyone know of any way to add wireless charging to the '19 RST or LT?  curious if maybe the module from the 16-18 would go under the cutout in the lid since there's no little shelf or whatever that is built into the center part where the wireless charging is on the ltz.

19 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

The one on my 16 is worthless. It only works if you align your phone perfectly and even then I needed to try about 10 times. I gave up and just plug my phone in. I wouldn't waste you time given how poorly mine works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There is an upgrade available for 16 and 17 trucks.  The upgrade also fixes the iPhone no charge problem as well.

GM part number 84526978.  Includes the charging module and an adapter for the harness.  Runs $60-70 if you shop around.  Takes less than 15 minutes to swap out the module.

There is an upgrade available for 16 and 17 trucks.  The upgrade also fixes the iPhone no charge problem as well.

GM part number 84526978.  Includes the charging module and an adapter for the harness.  Runs $60-70 if you shop around.  Takes less than 15 minutes to swap out the module.
My 16 is still under warranty. Are you saying there was a TSB to swap out the wireless charger for one that works better?

I wanted the wireless charging on my 2014 SLT and purchased a wireless charging pad from Amazon.  It was a Choetech and still sells for about $20.00.  Took apart the charging pad and the armrest and was able to install the pad under the recessed area in the arm rest.  Drilled a small hole in the rear to get the wire down to the hinge area and then just plugged it into the usb port.  Worked great.  On my 2017 Denali the charging pad was intermittent but found on this website where someone had taken apart the arm rest and turned the charging pad 180 degrees which also turned the mat on the arm rest too.  It worked great every time even  the phone case.  I don't know if this sort of mod would work with the 19 arm rest for those who do not have the built in charging pad. 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:49 AM, ShamrockShooter said:

My 16 is still under warranty. Are you saying there was a TSB to swap out the wireless charger for one that works better?

It's not a TSB and GM won't pay for it.  They simply redesigned the charging module that sits inside the armrest cover.  The kit includes the updated module and a harness adapter as the plugs are different.  Basically you remove the plastic cover on the inside of the armrest, unscrew 4 screws and unplug the module.  New module goes into the exact same spot....adapter plugs between the existing plug and the module.  Tighten it up and put the plastic cover back on and you are finished.

I was going to buy the guts of a wireless charger with 3 coils and fast charge tech and mount it under the cut out, but after looking at the lid I don't see a way to get it apart and I'm not brave enough to be the guinea pig on my brand new ride to go tear apart the console lid not knowing if it can be or not.  I've seen lots of people do that on the 14-15s but the new center is completely different.  

On 2/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, Jmonty said:

iPhone XS works great with my new AT4 fast and easy 

I agree, I have one in the 2019 LTZ and it works great.  It's not picky where you put it and plenty fast!   They must have upgraded it since the K series. 

• Like 2

I see the May 2018 bulletin from GM. They are calling it a Gen 2 wireless upgrade kit to make vehicles compatible with new phones, and make it clear they are not saying the Gen 1 is faulty so it is a customer pay option to fix. When I get around to it I will have to order the Gen 2 upgrade. Thanks

On 2/15/2019 at 2:23 PM, Robwcormack said:

Anyone know of any way to add wireless charging to the '19 RST or LT?  curious if maybe the module from the 16-18 would go under the cutout in the lid since there's no little shelf or whatever that is built into the center part where the wireless charging is on the ltz.

I did mine myself in center council of my 19 Trailboss. Went really well with a little work and some ingenuity! Cut apart a triple coil charger off eBay. Paid $12 for it a couple years ago and wasn't using it anymore. Opened up the bottom side of the lid, ground it out with a Dremel tool, glued the modified charger in place, ran a charging cable from the USB in the counsel to the charger thru the hinge, put it all back together and it works awesome. Radio has to have power to it for it to be on! 

(I can only get 2 pics at a time to attach so it going to be a few post)

20190222_065718.jpg

20190222_065849.jpg