wireless charging upgrade

After some help from a member on the forum, I ordered a few pieces from GM, and bought a GM wireless charger off eBay to make a factory install.  

I ordered an RST which didn't have the wireless charger as an option, but I wanted one.  I am unfortunately still waiting for my truck to be built so I don't have actual install photo's, but I have pics and part numbers of the hardware which is just as good.  All in just under $200 for what is listed below.  The last unknown is if I will be lucky enough to use the small jumper harness that came with the charger to slave off a 12V source, or if I need to hard wire into something.

GM Parts:

-84555398 Console Mat

-84505586 Upper Trim Panel

-84075152 Bracket (holds the wireless charger underneath the trim, need to supply your own small screws)

eBay:

-GM Gen II Qi Wireless Charger Retrofit kit

I am still looking for a good video on how to gain access to replace this console trim, but worse case I will deal with it when the truck finally arrives.  Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Gm Parts List.jpg

Charging Unit.png

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, pukeysmith said:

After some help from a member on the forum, I ordered a few pieces from GM, and bought a GM wireless charger off eBay to make a factory install.  

I ordered an RST which didn't have the wireless charger as an option, but I wanted one.  I am unfortunately still waiting for my truck to be built so I don't have actual install photo's, but I have pics and part numbers of the hardware which is just as good.  All in just under $200 for what is listed below.  The last unknown is if I will be lucky enough to use the small jumper harness that came with the charger to slave off a 12V source, or if I need to hard wire into something.

GM Parts:

-84555398 Console Mat

-84505586 Upper Trim Panel

-84075152 Bracket (holds the wireless charger underneath the trim, need to supply your own small screws)

eBay:

-GM Gen II Qi Wireless Charger Retrofit kit

I am still looking for a good video on how to gain access to replace this console trim, but worse case I will deal with it when the truck finally arrives.  Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Gm Parts List.jpg

Charging Unit.png

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

How did the charger you put together work out?  Any update, Harness plug and play?  

Thanks for any info. rbdjr

I went with the Boost Auto Parts wireless charger in the console. Easy install, plug and play, and it looks OEM.

https://boostautoparts.com/products/2019-newer-gm-charging?variant=null

It made more sense to me to have the charger on the arm rest/console lid. Like any wireless charger, it is slower than the cable, but it works and looks good.

10 hours ago, rbdjr said:

How did the charger you put together work out?  Any update, Harness plug and play?  

Thanks for any info. rbdjr

So my truck isn't even here yet!  I ordered it in March and have yet to see it.  My salesman says I should have it by December!  By the time I get it he said it wont have Auto Start/Stop or Displacement on Demand, but I am fine without either one of them.

A friend of mine did this same upgrade on his RST and he had to get the GM wiring harness and an air duct to keep the charger cool.  They are both GM parts and their numbers are listed below:

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
84514829 Genuine GM Harness 84514829 $60.56 1 $60.56
23391625 Genuine GM Instrument Panel Air Duct 23391625 $28.55 1

$28.55

The nice thing is that with this harness he said the charging icon comes on in the center cluster to let you know it is charging.  Yes, after adding these two extra items the whole charging pad will be about $300, but it will be factory, and better than paying $10k more for an LTZ which has it.

• 2 months later...

I installed the one from Boost Auto, Easy Install looked good and fitment was good.

I just ask question as after 3 weeks my phone was getting very WARM and sometimes phone was losing charge? They sent me a return label and sent it back 3 days ago? we will see outcome. 

here is the link, nice setup if it works longer than 3 weeks.

https://boostautoparts.com/products/2019-newer-gm-charging?variant=40369454612639

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 12:14 PM, Arkannos said:

I have been looking into adding wireless charging to a 2020 LT Trail Boss. It took a little digging and found the factory components on gmpartsdirect.com. The total cost is $108, and here are the required part #'s.

#84482763 Wiring Harness (w/o rear heated seats) 

#84505586 Upper Trim Panel

#84002462 Wireless Charging Module

The only thing I'm not 100% is whether or not there would be any firmware requirements, or if it is a simple plug and play situation.

Did you end up doing this upgrade?  I have a 2021 Trail Boss and just took apart my whole vehicle but found out the harness I have is not correct.  I have 84514829 which was referenced earlier in this thread, however this harness does not have the correct hookups for the light in the center console, the sensor for when it is opened, nor what appears to be the USB C next to the SD Card reader inside the console.

Thanks!

Rick.

I ordered the wrong harness as well that I referenced earlier.  The harness I ordered to replace it is 84482759 which includes the SD card reader, USB’s in the center console, wireless charging, front USB, etc.  check out this thread for the wireless charger upgrade: 

6BBCAF71-2EFA-4A9D-8839-C5B47C935861.jpeg

0F983E01-EABB-4271-8777-931F0BB316DF.jpeg

2E8B095D-65CC-474B-B6EF-92E364B8A630.jpeg

Edited by pukeysmith

52 minutes ago, pukeysmith said:

I ordered the wrong harness as well that I referenced earlier.  The harness I ordered to replace it is 84482759 which includes the SD card reader, USB’s in the center console, wireless charging, front USB, etc.  check out this thread for the wireless charger upgrade: 

6BBCAF71-2EFA-4A9D-8839-C5B47C935861.jpeg

0F983E01-EABB-4271-8777-931F0BB316DF.jpeg

2E8B095D-65CC-474B-B6EF-92E364B8A630.jpeg

Thanks for the reply!  So with that harness you had all of the console working?  Lights inside it as well?  Looks like that is the harness to add rear seat heaters as well, did you do those or just coil up the wire and tuck it inside the console?

Also, did you have any "Service Remote Keyless Start" messages after taking apart and reassembling?  I am getting them now and positive I put all back together correctly.

Thanks~!

Rick.

Thanks again!

Edited by Ricky_Starbucks

Rick,

yes, it did have one more connection for the heated seats that I didn’t use, I just taped it up next to the other rear usb connections and left it alone.

there is a little module that I had to move over from the center of the cup holders for the keyless remote.  I didn’t ever get that warning when I did mine.  Maybe the connection isn’t in all the way?

everything works just fine with this new wiring harness,  factory charging icon shows up on the Home Screen, and the charging icon works on Apple car play obviously.  No other lights or issues to report.

the worst part of this job was installing the air duct.  I fought that damn tube for an hour before I got it into place.  It blows a puff of air across the charger now to keep it cool.

CADD9BD6-1665-4333-9BE5-DB3F1D057010.jpeg

Edited by pukeysmith
Added photo

1 minute ago, pukeysmith said:

Rick,

yes, it did have one more connection for the heated seats that I didn’t use, I just taped it up next to the other rear usb connections and left it alone.

there is a little module that I hade to move over Uber the center of the cup holders for the keyless remote.  I didn’t ever get that warning when I did mine.  Maybe the connection isn’t in all the way?

everything works just fine with this new wiring harness,  factory charging icon shows up on the Home Screen, and the charging icon works on Apple car play obviously.  No other lights or issues to report.

the worst part of this job was installing the air duct.  I fought that damn tube for an hour before I got it into place.  It blows a puff of air across the charger now to keep it cool.

Thanks man!  Looks like Ill be pulling it apart again tomorrow to check my connections!  All works except for the buttons on the exterior door handle to unlock the vehicle.  I appreciate your time and assistance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 2:20 PM, Ricky_Starbucks said:

Thanks for the reply!  So with that harness you had all of the console working?  Lights inside it as well?  Looks like that is the harness to add rear seat heaters as well, did you do those or just coil up the wire and tuck it inside the console?

Also, did you have any "Service Remote Keyless Start" messages after taking apart and reassembling?  I am getting them now and positive I put all back together correctly.

Thanks~!

Rick.

Thanks again!

FYI i had the same problem just did my add on wireless charging, turned out on the back of the console at the rear vents there is a module plug i forgot to plug back in that plugs in right below the vents that controls the passive unlocking using the buttons on the doors, you can get to it easily even if you put the console back in the truck by removing the rear cupholders and the torx screws holding that in and the torx screw holding the vents on pop it off and the plug is there under the vents.

Plugged it back in the Service Remote Keyless Start error went away for me

On 11/14/2021 at 6:50 PM, rbdjr said:

I installed the one from Boost Auto, Easy Install looked good and fitment was good.

I just ask question as after 3 weeks my phone was getting very WARM and sometimes phone was losing charge? They sent me a return label and sent it back 3 days ago? we will see outcome. 

here is the link, nice setup if it works longer than 3 weeks.

https://boostautoparts.com/products/2019-newer-gm-charging?variant=40369454612639

I was thinking about adding one of these. How is it holding up? Does it work with larger phones well?