wireless charging upgrade

On 2/15/2019 at 2:23 PM, Robwcormack said:

Anyone know of any way to add wireless charging to the '19 RST or LT?  curious if maybe the module from the 16-18 would go under the cutout in the lid since there's no little shelf or whatever that is built into the center part where the wireless charging is on the ltz.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:31 PM, Ben Berkenpas said:

I did mine myself in center council of my 19 Trailboss. Went really well with a little work and some ingenuity! Cut apart a triple coil charger off eBay. Paid $12 for it a couple years ago and wasn't using it anymore. Opened up the bottom side of the lid, ground it out with a Dremel tool, glued the modified charger in place, ran a charging cable from the USB in the counsel to the charger thru the hinge, put it all back together and it works awesome. Radio has to have power to it for it to be on! 

(I can only get 2 pics at a time to attach so it going to be a few post)

20190222_065718.jpg

20190222_065849.jpg

The factory chargers are weak and useless and unless in direct contact with the charger most will not charge through a rubber mat in a protective case.

No need to knock yourself out making modifications.

Easy peasy...under $30. ..Go to Amazon or EBay and get the full console or arm console insert tray and a wireless charger with USB pigtail. (Get a separate tray and charger...been there tried that, .the trays with a built-in charger are as crappy as the OEMs and need a sweet spot for charging and cannot charge through a protective case). Has an indicator light, but no need to even look when charging, a large sweet spot just throw the cell phone onto the tray pocket close the lid, leave it there and use the Bluetooth connection. In cae you forget to take it, it is in the console safe from prying eyes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN4GSM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Console-Organizer-Silverado-Accessories-Secondary/dp/B07SPVZSZ2/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=silverado+console+tray&qid=1582894982&sr=8-4

DSCN0825.JPG.718b798acd10459ce831bd699678d2da.JPGDSCN0826.JPG.b3ba6fbc3d9deee8bc39e1548dfa658a.JPG

Was going with the before mentioned single coil disk.... But decided to step up my game to 5 coils!!!! ?

20200229_223551.thumb.jpg.2773197947c27febbe591c498b738a45.jpg

Will be installing tomorrow... Will report back.  Size is almost the exact same size as the phone tray in center console, so should work beautifully.  Going to tie the power into the rear 12v.

Here's the part I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYQQ1R7/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_R2ZwEb6850DQB

Getting the cover off this larger one was infinity easier than the small disc one.

Edited by Swiftks

14 hours ago, Swiftks said:

Was going with the before mentioned single coil disk.... But decided to step up my game to 5 coils!!!! ?

20200229_223551.thumb.jpg.2773197947c27febbe591c498b738a45.jpg

Will be installing tomorrow... Will report back.  Size is almost the exact same size as the phone tray in center console, so should work beautifully.  Going to tie the power into the rear 12v.

Here's the part I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYQQ1R7/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_R2ZwEb6850DQB

Getting the cover off this larger one was infinity easier than the small disc one.

Great find, I put a 3 coil one in my center console, works well but wider coverage area for different sized phones would be perfect.   Looks like it will fit

27 minutes ago, romclean1 said:

Great find, I put a 3 coil one in my center console, works well but wider coverage area for different sized phones would be perfect.   Looks like it will fit

Fit was perfect... Epoxy is drying now.  Then have to do the wiring.  Will post complete install pics later this evening.

Some pics of the install today.  Epoxy isn't pretty, but can't see it at least.  Drimmel made short work of the plastic tabs.  Wired into 12v at rear.  Works good.  Size is perfect.

20200301_103512.thumb.jpg.7ed49be626107e8d2ab8aed40a800f01.jpg

20200301_111033.thumb.jpg.21d179b43613c06f4e33455a07e63d02.jpg

20200301_232150.thumb.jpg.7e79f8544f83445224ef7e1bb6454ac8.jpg

20200301_180353.thumb.jpg.5a0b508bfa90c1c6d6703e92c9a165d5.jpg

Edited by Swiftks
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Swiftks said:

Some pics of the install today.  Epoxy isn't pretty, but can't see it at least.  Drimmel made short work of the plastic tabs.  Wired into 12v at rear.  Works good.  Size is perfect.

20200301_103512.thumb.jpg.7ed49be626107e8d2ab8aed40a800f01.jpg

20200301_111033.thumb.jpg.21d179b43613c06f4e33455a07e63d02.jpg

20200301_232150.thumb.jpg.7e79f8544f83445224ef7e1bb6454ac8.jpg

20200301_180353.thumb.jpg.5a0b508bfa90c1c6d6703e92c9a165d5.jpg

Looks good, The 3 coil is working but I’m glad I didn’t glue it in, because I’m going to switch to this 5 coil version!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Summerford said:

Which wires did you hard wire too?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

tapped into the 12v outlet wires, to get more power.  It's always hot, but shouldn't be drawing any power unless something is charging on it.

53 minutes ago, TheTicketTX said:

you 100% sure on that?

Even if there is any power draw, I'm pretty sure it would be minimal.  I mean it would just be keeping power supplied to the pad.  If nothing is on the pad drawing power, then I don't see how there would be any significant power draw.   I mean if you keep a car charger or radar detector plugged into the 12v 24/7 do you really think it's drawing enough power to affect anything?  The original guy in this thread did the same thing in September, he hasn't complained.  I guess time will tell, but I'm not worried.

Edited by Swiftks
  • Thanks 1

It depends on the charging pad and the electronics it has.  And cheaper pads will have cheaper electronics...

With a charger that you plug in, it's fairly straightforward to tell if something is plugged in to it, and make it so it draws little to no power when nothing is plugged in.

With a wireless charging pad, it is not easy to determine that something is there to receive the wireless power.  And most of these installs put the charging pad underneath something else so it can't be seen, so they can't use a microswitch to tell if something is placed on the pad (it either doesn't get pressed, or is pressed all the time from whatever is between the phone and the pad).

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 7:26 PM, Swiftks said:

Even if there is any power draw, I'm pretty sure it would be minimal.  I mean it would just be keeping power supplied to the pad.  If nothing is on the pad drawing power, then I don't see how there would be any significant power draw.   I mean if you keep a car charger or radar detector plugged into the 12v 24/7 do you really think it's drawing enough power to affect anything?  The original guy in this thread did the same thing in September, he hasn't complained.  I guess time will tell, but I'm not worried.

Did you install the charger with the coils exposed or did you put it all back together and then install? Did the bottom of the console lid go back over top of the charger once you had it glued in or no? Sorry,.. really want to do this but also nervous about taking a dremel to my brand new truck. 

19 hours ago, alexistence said:

Did you install the charger with the coils exposed or did you put it all back together and then install? Did the bottom of the console lid go back over top of the charger once you had it glued in or no? Sorry,.. really want to do this but also nervous about taking a dremel to my brand new truck. 

Yes, I installed with coils exposed, and the cover went back on, just fine.  The area you drimmel out has nothing holding the cover in place, so doesn't effect anything.  Hardest part is epoxying the thing in place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swiftks said:

Yes, I installed with coils exposed, and the cover went back on, just fine.  The area you drimmel out has nothing holding the cover in place, so doesn't effect anything.  Hardest part is epoxying the thing in place.

Since I guess it's been a couple of weeks now, have you noticed any drain on your battery that would be more than leaving a phone charging inside? I would like to run it hot and I hate that the USB won't charge my phone with the engine off.. which is a terrible design flaw if you ask me. I'd like to be able leave the phone on the console and have it charging while I'm at work.