Threadlocker on caliper bracket bolts

drabe3

I’m currently replacing the pads and rotors on my ‘16 Silverado 1500 and I see that the factory has threadlocker on the bolts. I’d prefer to use neverseize in every bolt I touch because our salty roads here in NY usually do pretty good at locking fasteners into place already. I have never used threadlocker on a bracket bolt. Should I be worried about this. I already have on side together and now I’m wondering if I should take it back apart to add threadlocker 

If I put anything on the threads of bolts like that, it would be anti-seize and nothing else.

I did not use anything on them when I did brakes on my 2014, but I live inland in FL and we do not have salt exposure.

Torqueing them to about 35-40 ft-lbs is probably all it needs. There were 3 of the bolts if I remember it right. I did not put a torque wrench on them, I have a pretty good calibrated hand. Nothing has worked loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

If they come out on the first brake job without anti seize why would they not come out a second time? Does it not seem odd that the factory adds loctite (it cost money) and some people want to add a product that does the opposite? Did hundreds of brake jobs and did not reapply locktite but also would never add anti seize to caliper bolts. And yes we have lots of salt on Wisconsin roads.

Edited by tbarn

13 hours ago, tbarn said:

If they come out on the first brake job without anti seize why would they not come out a second time? Does it not seem odd that the factory adds loctite (it cost money) and some people want to add a product that does the opposite? Did hundreds of brake jobs and did not reapply locktite but also would never add anti seize to caliper bolts. And yes we have lots of salt on Wisconsin roads.

First car I owned and did brakes on I didn't use anti-seize. The next time I went to do them everything was rusted and seized on, including the caliper bolts. Had to drill out a caliper bolt and added hours/pain to a simple job. This was also when I lived in Michigan so they were exposed to long, salty winters. Ever since then I've put anti-seize on. Never had an issue in 18 years and the various vehicles I've owned - all bolts were still tight every time I went to do the brakes again.

I get that logically it doesn't make sense to replace locktite with anti-seize, but in my experience if you live in a northern climate with lots of salt and snow you'll save yourself a headache by using anti-seize. But if you don't trust not having locktite on your caliper bolts, it's your vehicle, have at it. I could see in southern climates not having to worry as much about rust so anti-seize might not be necessary.

Guys, Please use Loctite 242 Blue on your caliper bolts.  Use Loctite 262,272 on Your Caliper Brackets!  This will not cause rust and has properties to inhibit rust/corrosion!

Your not going to anneal the hardware at 500f to break the caliper bolts free!  PLEASE DO NOT USE ANTI-SEIZE on your break hardware!!!!!  Absolutely NOT!

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1

I don't live in a state that uses salt on the roads.

Big difference.

Used to live in Michigan, salted roads. I would use anti seize.

I have never used thread locker on my brakes.

Like always difference in opinions.

:)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I don't live in a state that uses salt on the roads.

Big difference.

Used to live in Michigan, salted roads. I would use anti seize.

I have never used thread locker on my brakes.

Like always difference in opinions.

It does not matter where you live?  Don't put ANTI-Seize on your Brake Hardware?  Jeesh..................

Jeesh

Your opinion as I said.

I use anti seize on various things.

Wood stove hinge pins. Works well. No squeaks and lasts.

Fireplace screen rods. Slide easy and lasts.

Fireplace glass doors. Slide easy and lasts.

Edited by diyer2

Perhaps an interesting note from the engineering side?

A properly torqued fastener is self locking. Properly torqued the fastener will stretch to force an interference lock.

Thread locker is used when the fastener can not (or should not) be torqued into plastic tension. Such as when a high tensile stud is installed in aluminum of insufficient thickness or in a nut and bolt situation where proper torque would deform the clamped part. Fasteners in high frequency vibration  like steel fender bolts in a Brit bikes alloy stanchion tubes. Safety wire will serve the same purpose. Looks nice too. 

Blue  temporary. Red permanent. Anti-seize is just that. To prevent galling (friction weldment) of dis dissimilar metals. Also used for high temperature and/or high thermal cycle. Copper lower, Nickel higher. 

Anything that prevents moisture and mineral salts penetrating the thread space is effective in corrosion protection. Hard high soap grease in a pinch. Platting such as cadmium, flash nickel or zinc are just as effective short term.