V6 to v4 disable by unplugging afm oil pressure sensor

I am going to ignore the childish crackhead comments.

Be default it is in v6 mode. If the ecu detects afm solenoid  unplugged it would stay in default mode not limp mode I would think. I can plug in my Bluetooth obdii to keep track of any codes if they appear.

23 minutes ago, hwycruiser said:

I am going to ignore the childish crackhead comments.

Be default it is in v6 mode. If the ecu detects afm solenoid  unplugged it would stay in default mode not limp mode I would think. I can plug in my Bluetooth obdii to keep track of any codes if they appear.

Your vehicle, your choice. Bad idea in my opinion but we all have them. Why not just purchase a Range AFM disable or similar product? If you're not worried about MPG, does the Arcadia have a L or M selection on the shift indicator? For example, my truck has an 8 speed automatic and in D it uses all 8 gears and AFM is active, if I select L7 it disables AFM but I also lose the 8th gear and my mileage dropped a little, I now have the Range AFM disable and use all 8 gears with no AFM. To me this is a better way to accomplish your desired solution.

*** My apologies, I just looked at the Range Technologies website, they do not list your Arcadia*** So I would have to try the manual gear selection and see if that works, just don't like the idea of disconnecting things but as mentioned, it is your vehicle! Let us know what you end up doing, I am sure you're not the only one with this thought.

Edited by SS502

Plan on keeping the car for 300k miles if I can !  Not sure how the 2 cylinders deactivated will fair in the long run. Range tech support said 19 Acadia might run rough after install of their product as reported back to them from some users. I have 350 miles on it. Pretty seamless v6 to v4. Just long term concerns. 

Lots of vehicles have no problems with cylinder deactivation.

I would do good maintenance like not doing extended oil and filter changes.

:)

AFM (cylinder deact) is only used sparingly on my 2018 Acadia.  Plus when it is activated, it is only under very light loads.  So the unbalanced loads (due to V4 vs V6 operation) are also very low in comparison to heavy throttle/load conditions.  I don't see any long term durability issues there.  There made be a bit more duty cycle (switching components) added to the fuel & ignition system due to AFM, but again, I see no reason for concern there.  I worked in Powertrain most of my career & have gone thru the "seat of the pants" analysis and don't see an issue.  The Engine guys looked at the long term effects of AFM when they run the ADV plan.

So maybe the OP can describe why he is worried about the long term durability of systems while having AFM active.

Edited by Homer1952

GM engine guys might consider "long term effects" to be 100k miles. I consider them 200k to 300k miles. I don't see any benefit of going to v4. I don't care about the loss of mpg under light throttle or coasting. 

I am hoping someone can post a pic of location of afm solenoid wiring harness connector.