UPR Products catch installed

I know catch cans are good and do what they are supposed to, but here is a chunk out of GM's write up on the "Ecotec3" engines just before they hit the market. 

PCV-integrated rocker covers: new domed rocker covers house a patent-pending integrated positive crankcase ventilation system that enhances oil life, reduces oil consumption and reduces exhaust emissions. The domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from the crankcase gases, with about three times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l86/#ixzz5lT6HVL6C

Basically they are saying this engine is 3 times better at separating oil from crankcase pressure than the LS engine family was. With that kind of statement, we shouldn't see dirty intake ports or valve. But yes, I know we don't have injectors in the intake to clean the valves anymore. Still, you would think just as many people would say catch cans are vital on the LS trucks, but you can pop the intake manifold off a 150,000 mile LS and it looks better than a 15,000 mile LT. 

3 times better but still tons of pics of cacked intake valves out there.. For the $200 it's a peace of mind I would rather pay for and not worry about as much. It's not like a $500+ upgrade and voiding a warranty. Hell, compared to the price of most of the upgrades us guys go with in this thread category it isn't that bad. I know it'll be an endless argument like anything else, but I say it's better to have than not. Maybe not for just the regular daily driver. But mine already has long tubes and full exhaust and eventually forced induction so the better shape I can keep this motor before some abuse, the better.

Since installing the AFM device I have noticed a bit less oil consumption, at least in my vehicle. Figure a little more insurance couldn't hurt. But I also don't want to break the bank on a catch can since they seem to be all over the place as far as pricing.

I'm not hard on my truck at all and also do not drive with AFM on (Use L7 method) and I still see some oil collected in my CC. I say install one, see how it works and then decide if that is worth $200 to you, or if you would prefer to have that amount of oil get stuck in your intake. 

7 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I know catch cans are good and do what they are supposed to, but here is a chunk out of GM's write up on the "Ecotec3" engines just before they hit the market. 

PCV-integrated rocker covers: new domed rocker covers house a patent-pending integrated positive crankcase ventilation system that enhances oil life, reduces oil consumption and reduces exhaust emissions. The domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from the crankcase gases, with about three times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l86/#ixzz5lT6HVL6C

Basically they are saying this engine is 3 times better at separating oil from crankcase pressure than the LS engine family was. With that kind of statement, we shouldn't see dirty intake ports or valve. But yes, I know we don't have injectors in the intake to clean the valves anymore. Still, you would think just as many people would say catch cans are vital on the LS trucks, but you can pop the intake manifold off a 150,000 mile LS and it looks better than a 15,000 mile LT. 

Where does the separated oil go?

its gotta get routed back through the engine some how

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:27 PM, Jacoby said:

Where does the separated oil go?

Right back to the pan where it belongs. That is the baffles job. Keep the oil in the motor IN the motor. There is no place within the motor that segregates cleaner oil from dirtier oil. Oil will not be cleaner if you 'catch' the mist that gets by the baffle system. It isn't extra dirty because it's becomes a mist. It's just as dirty or just as clean, as the case my be. It's a Hurricane in a crankcase. Even with crank scrappers. Like fishing with dynamite.