UGH! I scratched my truck

I was at the car wash and the hose got tangled and when I was untangling it, I didn’t pay attention to the nozzle tip in relation to my fender and bumped the tip into my fender.  Man, not 3000 miles on it.  The scratch doesn’t seem to be deep but it left a mark.  It’s probably a phrase used way too often, but I hope it can be buffed out.  I don’t see any metal and I think it’s just into the clear coat so I’m hoping for the best.  My ignorant instinct is to try a magic eraser but I think that will do more harm that good.  Any ideas of a first step to try to get what I hope is mostly a scuff mark cleaned off?  Or, should I just take it to someone who knows what they’re doing?  Help and sympathies are appreciated.  UHG.  

3 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

I have had luck by applying some cleaner wax by Maguire's and rubbing it in with your finger applied to a rag followed up by some wax over the scratch. DONT USE POLISHING COMPOUND its too abrasive.  

1 hour ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Post a photo

Ryan B.

Thanks. 

I’ll post a picture when I get home.  I’m visiting my parents and need to get to my home computer.  

Hard to take a picture with the reflection.  This is the worst of the three scratches.  I made it worse by rubbing it with a rag.  I’m thinking some sort of buffing will be needed now.  I’m not looking for perfect as I understand the truck will pick up scratches from time to time, but hoping to minimize the appearance of these. 

B8F6B8E6-A8B1-4864-A1FB-E77F8B8EE41E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 11:33 PM, Nasty said:

Those should come right out if you have a polishet

I assume you mean a polisher, but what is a polisher?  You mean like one of those electrical polishing machines?  I’ve never used one and would be afraid I’d make things worse.  However, if that’s what it takes, I’d be willing to go to a detailer.  I’m sure it would be less expensive than if I were to make it worse and the seek professional help. 

I assume you mean a polisher, but what is a polisher?  You mean like one of those electrical polishing machines?  I’ve never used one and would be afraid I’d make things worse.  However, if that’s what it takes, I’d be willing to go to a detailer.  I’m sure it would be less expensive than if I were to make it worse and the seek professional help. 
Yes. A DA polisher is pretty much idiot proof and you have to be extremely dumb to burn paint with one. But those just look like surface scratches in the clear. Those should come right out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well I was dumb enough to hit my truck with the car wash pressure hose tip.  Just sayin’. They are clear coat scratches.  They disappear with water on them.  I’ll find me a detail guy who already has the machine.  If that works, I’ll get some tips/instruction from him and get a polisher for future use.  Unfortunately, I doubt this is the last of the scratches.  They be a lot easier to ignore if they weren’t right on the drivers side fender where I see them every time I get into the truck.  Thanks.

Well I was dumb enough to hit my truck with the car wash pressure hose tip.  Just sayin’. They are clear coat scratches.  They disappear with water on them.  I’ll find me a detail guy who already has the machine.  If that works, I’ll get some tips/instruction from him and get a polisher for future use.  Unfortunately, I doubt this is the last of the scratches.  They be a lot easier to ignore if they weren’t right on the drivers side fender where I see them every time I get into the truck.  Thanks.
Another tip, dont just use any rag on your truck as rags to scratch. And dont believe when they say microfiber

If you want a good rag. Grab the rag company everest 800 or 1100 towels. Theyre all i use

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

Well I was dumb enough to hit my truck with the car wash pressure hose tip.  Just sayin’. 

don't feel too bad, I was trying to pressure wash my truck and failed to lock the tip into the gun all the way. I pulled the trigger and it shot the plastic tip into my passenger rear door. small chip in the paint and small dent in the paper thin sheet metal. I fixed the chip with my repair kit. Dent is only noticeable in the right lighting. I'm glad I don't walk on that side of the truck too often.

It adds character to your truck and now you have a story. I have a story for every dent and scratch. One on the fender from a relative hitting a Sonic drive in Pole, One on the grill was from my grand father hitting a parking lot pole. I have about 20 more to go on top of that.

Enjoy it!