Camshaft lifter failure

2017 Silverado1500 6.2 L 25000 miles engine starts to tick. Drive to dealership and after 1 week they put a camshaft and lifters in under warranty. I'm so upset I went in and took pictures. Metal shavings in engine. Went in and spoke to service manager and expressed my concerns. I got the brush off. I want a new engine. 

Sorry to hear about your engine failure but it does happen.

I understand your feelings and concerns.

New engine, doubtful.

If money is not a problem quit stressing.

Drive it or replace it.

:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malibutwins said:

I went to the dealership while engine was apart and took the pictures of the metal in the engine.

There was metal in it when it was first machined too, right? They cleaned it out. The filter will catch the fine stuff same as it did when you bought it new. Inhale, exhale. I feel for you. My guts go inside out when something like this happens. 

Honda put a reman short block in my Honda at 63,000 miles for a casting flaw that dumped coolant into the pan. I wanted an entire motor. Has 225,000 trouble free miles on it.....runs like a sewing machine. Take heart...

No worries. Shavings are from cam/lifters that's being fixed. As stated above, the oil filter will catch the debris or it will leave the pan during oil change. Put a magnet on the filter or pan if you're worried. Do a couple of quick oil/filter changes maybe to settle your mind. You should have seen all the shavings in the early oil changes after you bought it, it was hardly pristine, they never are

I would have no worries. I've had cams/lifters fail over the years, never thought about trashing a block over it

Edited by txab
  • Thanks 1

Understood.  I'd feel the same way.  But there is no way GM corporate is going to give you a new engine, unless you've got friends high up in the food chain there.  A lot of people trade right after a situation like this.  If you've got some warranty left, you might drive out the rest of the warranty to see how it goes.  And do an oil and filter change soon after you get it back, to help remove any oil shavings that still might be in the system.  

3 Year  36K? Because that is how far they feel the truck can run without issues. Make sure you purchase extended warranty because that is needed on anything new. 

Also, if you took a photo please post it or else why else bring it up. Photos are the best. I'm am sure they cleaned it up before installing the new parts, sometimes engine work can get messy.

1 hour ago, txab said:

No worries. Shavings are from cam/lifters that's being fixed. As stated above, the oil filter will catch the debris or it will leave the pan during oil change. Put a magnet on the filter or pan if you're worried. Do a couple of quick oil/filter changes maybe to settle your mind. You should have seen all the shavings in the early oil changes after you bought it, it was hardly pristine, they never are

I would have no worries. I've had cams/lifters fail over the years, never thought about trashing a block over it

Exactly....I thought I was silver mining on my first Oil Change?  Do another quick flush after 500 miles you will be fine.......

• 2 weeks later...

Could do an oil analysis too, the next few oil changes to get some more data on if this is causing additional bearing wear or anything. Hate it for you, cant imagine.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:49 AM, Mikebtte said:

3 Year  36K? Because that is how far they feel the truck can run without issues. Make sure you purchase extended warranty because that is needed on anything new. 

Also, if you took a photo please post it or else why else bring it up. Photos are the best. I'm am sure they cleaned it up before installing the new parts, sometimes engine work can get messy.

5 years 60k on powertrain. 

• 1 year later...

My 2018 Chevy Silverado had service engine light on and horrible rough idle at 130,000.  Have always driven Chevy.  Put over 300,000 on a lot of them.  Turns out this motor has variable valve timing.  When you get to rd speed it drops off some of the cylinders.   They do that by dropping oil pressure which causes excessive cam wear.  Supposed to improve mileage which doesn't work.  Make a kit to override but installing the kit nullifies any warranty.  Chevy needs to step up!