Weird tick before engine warms up 5.3 custom trail boss

Lifter?  This affects all 2019 V8, the following engines - LV3 4.3 V6, L83 5.3, L84 5.3, L87 6.2, LT1, LT4, LT5.  L82 seems to be missing, but its the same engine as L83 with the updated water pump and valve covers. 

#PIP5606C: Ticking Noise From The Engine - (Jan 11, 2019)

Condition - A vehicle may have a tick noise from the engine cold, initial start in the morning 

Cause - A lifter may not have sufficient amount of oil during cold start operation (not pumped up)

Correction

Allow engine to sit overnight, start next day and let run for 5-7 mins to duplicate.  

If the noise is gone release the vehicle back to the customer. 

Drive the vehicle through the DFM modes. 

Check for any misfire DTC and record. If DTC is found refer to SI for diagnosis

If noise is still persists, operate the engine thru cylinder Deactivation test to isolate the cylinder with the concern.

If isolated inspect for a bent pushrod and/or collapsed lifter then, replace the bank of lifters.

Engineering is working to understand cause for this concern.

As analysis from returned parts is completed, PI will be updated accordingly. When the final repair is confirmed this PI will be changed to a Bulletin 

• Like 1

left it with the dealer today. I showed the service manager the video when I dropped it off and he seems to think its something pump related. Maybe the air injection pump. Due to when it happens they don't think its something internal with the engine. I will let you guys know once they fix it. 

4 hours ago, ct_corey said:

left it with the dealer today. I showed the service manager the video when I dropped it off and he seems to think its something pump related. Maybe the air injection pump. Due to when it happens they don't think its something internal with the engine. I will let you guys know once they fix it. 

No secondary air system/air injection pump on these engines. 

Edited by newdude

dealer called and says GM wants to see at least 1500 miles before they go any further. They are not sure what it is but it doesn't seem internal to the engine. GM wants the truck to be more broken in. They think they noise might just go away(doubt it). Its hard to find info on the L82 engine. From what I can tell these newer trucks don't have the same vacuum pump set up as the 14-18 but i'm not sure. Every video I can find that sounds like my truck points to 2014-2018 truck with a bad vacuum pump. Or at least replacing it made the noise go away. 

Most people wont hear the noise because it only happens for maybe 20 seconds after the truck idles down after a cold start. I cant hear it in the truck. Only reason I ever heard it because I use the remote start on cold mornings and the nose of the truck is right near my front door.  So I heard it while putting my shoes on.  

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ct_corey said:

sorry I meant vacuum pump. 

No vacuum pump either on T1.  Brake boost is all electronic assist now.  No need for vacuum or vacuum pump.

L82 is the same engine as L83 but with a new water pump/front accessory setup and revised valve covers.  Same 6L80 trans too. 

On 4/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, ct_corey said:

Most people wont hear the noise because it only happens for maybe 20 seconds after the truck idles down after a cold start.

That's the case with mine. I have noticed this a little RIGHT after I start, but have not been concerned as I figured it was just cold start issues. 

But the video you uploaded sounds like your ticking is a lot worse than anything I have heard in my RST 5.3L. 

It's weird because it will only do it on cold cold start. If the truck has a little warmth in the engine it wont do it. If I was an Internal issue you would think it would happen right when it starts. But it doesn't start until the rpms come down witch mean it wont start ticking like that for a minute or 2 

Lifter is my guess. Wish GM would put AFM and DFM on the shelf. The lifters and oil pressure on off for the DFM is complex and I just do not think they will go 100,000 +.  I would change oil and add BG MOA to the oil. And keep after the dealer to perform the bulletin check above is it continues to tick after warm up. It sounds like, If it goes away after warm up, all you can do is wait for it to get worse before GM will go in. Piston slap is a possibility.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, towdog333 said:

My 14 had a 5.3 L and it had a ticking noise constantly. It sounded like a sewing machine, but never had any problems with it. 

How many miles did you put on it? The ones I see in my friends repair shop for lifters and cam have about 110,000 to 125,000. Not sure how they maintained it but the rides looked to be in good shape and maintained? .