Onstar App going away and My Chevrolet App doesn’t have remote access?

On 10/8/2019 at 5:15 AM, Donstar said:

I still find the key fob a frill!  Remote access and start are convenient but I wouldn't pay a monthly fee to have this feature.  The grand prize for any business appears to get us attached to a monthly payment.  "What's a measly $10 a month?"  Add up all of your non-essential monthly obligations and you may find they add up to a sizeable chunk of your take-home pay.   You may not need this money now, but chances are high that you  will wish you had it later!

$10 a month doesn't get you anything.  $15 a month gets you remote access and the top tier plan costs $59.99 a month.  That's right at $720 a year!   Which is crazy.  And that's for just that one vehicle.  Have two GM vehicles?  Double the price.  I have AAA, which includes towing my travel trailer, and a cell phone.  And it covers any vehicle either my wife or I am driving.  OnStar was a gimmick when it was first introduced in 1996, but that was during the early years of cell phones.  Now with just about everybody having a smart phone, OnStar is way past its prime. 

On 10/10/2019 at 11:22 AM, NCPGMC said:

I used the door keypad on my old F150 all the time...I miss that feature. Has anyone done or looked into that addon? I know with Ford it comes standard or a dealer addon which means it takes a battery and isn't hardwired.

Here's the part number for a 2018 Silverado LT Z71 Crew Cab (probably the same as your '17 Sierra SLT Z71)

Ebay Link to Keyless Entry Keypad

Just remember if your car sits for 3 days without being touched, your onstar shuts down. I had this one time when we went on vacation. I figured I'd lock the keys in my truck, then just use the My Chevy app to unlock it when I got back off the ship. This way I didnt have to worry about my keys. Well, onstar could not unlock my truck. They couldnt even force a wake up to it. I had to have roadside assistance come and pop the truck open. NOT FUN WHEN WITH THE WIFE AT THE CRUISESHIP TERMINAL WAITING WITH THE TRUCK LOCKED UP.  This is one thing most people dont know. They said they couldnt even locate the truck to give the location to the tow truck. WAY TO GO ONSTAR!!!!!

17 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

Just remember if your car sits for 3 days without being touched, your onstar shuts down. I had this one time when we went on vacation. I figured I'd lock the keys in my truck, then just use the My Chevy app to unlock it when I got back off the ship. This way I didnt have to worry about my keys. Well, onstar could not unlock my truck. They couldnt even force a wake up to it. I had to have roadside assistance come and pop the truck open. NOT FUN WHEN WITH THE WIFE AT THE CRUISESHIP TERMINAL WAITING WITH THE TRUCK LOCKED UP.  This is one thing most people dont know. They said they couldnt even locate the truck to give the location to the tow truck. WAY TO GO ONSTAR!!!!!

I let my truck sit at the airport for days at a time when I travel and never have any trouble unlocking it with the app when I get back ...

Was it more than 3 days? It has to be more than 72 hours.  I had it confirmed with onstar. I did it another time and it did the same thing again. But that time, it was on purpose...  I dont know what to say about your truck. 

That's funny...here is what the manual says about it...I wonder what the "real" answer is? Somewhere in between I guess...
image.thumb.png.c31eecdce87716962effeab2bb1041a6.png

Unbelievable. Just crap wording. [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

That's funny...here is what the manual says about it...I wonder what the "real" answer is? Somewhere in between I guess...

image.thumb.png.c31eecdce87716962effeab2bb1041a6.png

And that doesnt make sense, it cant perform remote unlock if the vehicle has been off for 10 days. But after 5 days, they can send roadside assistance to gain entry.... WTF??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob2C said:

Unbelievable. Just crap wording. emoji2357.png

I agree...If you can do a remote unlock up until 10 days...why would you need OnStar to call roadside assistance after 5 days...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RACERX7775 said:

And that doesnt make sense, it cant perform remote unlock if the vehicle has been off for 10 days. But after 5 days, they can send roadside assistance to gain entry.... WTF??

You beat me too it hahaha...I posted the same question...