New battery in 2014

If the battery has been sitting on the shelf for months and months at wherever you bought it, it may not be fully charged — Particularly if the vendor doesn’t use FIFO, doesn’t periodically boost charge their inventory, etc.   I would jump it then go for a long drive before calling it a bad battery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Batteries usually have a manufacture date sticker on them, usually a month and year.

When I replaced the battery in my 2014, I used a Duralast AGM. Great battery. I plan to do the same on my 2017 when the time arrives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I will second the vote for a Duralast Battery (Autozone).

Have had one in my daily driver ford Taurus now for 7 years!

6 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Shouldn't be a drain the bcm shuts down things to save a battery if it sees a drain. That has to be a bad batrery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This at least on my 015 doesn’t always hold true. Don’t drive mine in the winter except once a month down the road and back. Over the last 4 winters the factory battery has be drained to the point of needing charged 3 or 4 times. I’ve noticed for some reason if I lock the truck when I leave it it seems to always go to sleep for some reason?

I keep a battery maintainer charger on my Sierra for it sits for weeks at a time. In fact I keep a maintainer on about everything I own that sits for any length of time. Never have an issue starting and batteries last a lot longer before needing to be replaced. Cheap way to keep batteries up to snuff.

I charged the battery to get a full charge. Then used a volt meter and watched it drain very slowly. Checked and found the cargo light was on, I turned it off and the drain stopped. Hopefully this resolved the problem! 

Thats a good idea. I discovered that my cargo light was on and draining the battery. Turned it off, charged the battery, all good!

Another thing to watch out for is if you plug something into the ODBII port. Had a Scanguage on my last truck that pulled almost half an amp when the truck was off. Killed the batteries (2) in a few days.

• Sad 1

Do you have the SymTech paint protection package? There is a anti-rust module that uses power to provide a small current to the truck at all times, even when off. Something isn't right. I leave my '15 6.2L in the garage during winter with the battery in and no trickle charger, I have the SymTech package and I would start my truck once a month and only had it die once in January. I have since replaced it out of precaution, I have blown alternators in bad areas (10 mile walk out of the bush in the dark with Timber wolves howling, and no sidearm-carry laws in Canada) from weak a battery so I am skeptical with weak batteries now. 

• Confused 1

What year is the truck? I thought I had heard that the '15s had a tsb about a battery drain issue if the driver shuts off the vehicle while using bluetooth. Your climate also makes a difference.